The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 3,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    I now have 4 saved covers for 5torm. I hope she gets a feeder soon...
    Got a purple 5trange off a fan fav token. 4/1/0
    got some good 3* bonus action to max-champ my Loki, and the cp i got from mystique and his LT netted me a:
    Vulture: Green (298)
    4ocket: Green (300)

That LT got me:

5torm: Green (2/5/9)

So I did the swap, for a 3/5/6 build. I'm going to just sit on my CP/LTs until she rotates out, and during this double-iso period I'm trying to decide if I want to keep champing 4*s or if I want to try and get 5torm over. I think I'll do the former for now, i have some 4*s like Carnage hanging out at 209 with 16 saved that would be good resource factories.
  • BowgentleBowgentle Posts: 5,038 Chairperson of the Boards
    got some good 3* bonus action to max-champ my Loki, and the cp i got from mystique and his LT netted me a:
    Vulture: Green (298)
    4ocket: Green (300)

That LT got me:

5torm: Green (2/5/9)

So I did the swap, for a 3/5/6 build. I'm going to just sit on my CP/LTs until she rotates out, and during this double-iso period I'm trying to decide if I want to keep champing 4*s or if I want to try and get 5torm over. I think I'll do the former for now, i have some 4*s like Carnage hanging out at 209 with 16 saved that would be good resource factories.
    Always champ from the top down.
    Those Carnage cover aren't going anywhere.
    My thinking on champing from the bottom up was that having a broader base of reward-engines is going to accelerate my ability to chase future 5*s.

I can see though that investing in Storm now will ideally enhance my day-to-day playing. I'm curious if I should expect to see a huge change in my MMR moving from 2->3 5* champions though?
  • BowgentleBowgentle Posts: 5,038 Chairperson of the Boards
    No change at all.
    The big jump occurs when you champ your second 5, nothing matters after that until you hit 490+ on two 5s.
    Had a pretty lucky weekend. Pulled a red OML (4/1/4) from one of the fan fav tokens, as well as an organic Chavez bringing her to 339.  I've been hitting pretty lucky in the anniversary vaults, i was mostly interested in Taskmaster this year. I had enough hp around to clear out all the good stuff from the first one, then reset it and got 2/3 taskmasters (both non-reds), and so I reset it again a little early. Hit the 2900 hp off of like the second token, didn't get any Tasks though. But today I managed to pull the random black cover out of the taco vault for a complete 5/4/4 Taskmaster, so now I am just missing covers on Ham (1/2/4). Since my alliance isn't good enough to hit round 8 in any of the boss events, I'll probably never finish him, but at least i can close the book on the other 3 for now.

I've bought 5torm up to 389, so it's going to be about 230k iso to get her over to champ. 

As I close in on finishing Jessica Jones, i'm just taking stock of who else is close, and what kind of growth strategy I want to employ:

Directly Feedable to Completion (no particular order):
    Okoye (6/4/1): Shuri @ 290
    Fi5k (5/4/3): Miles Morales @ 291
    Hawkeye (2/5/3):  Kate Bishop @ 283
    5* Lord (5/1/3): Drax waiting on iso, 9 saved
    Lumbercap (2/4/4): Bucky @ 289
    OML (4/1/4): XFW @ 286
    Danver5 (6/1/3): C4rol @ 295

Feedable but no Feeder:
    Rescue (5/2/6)
    Hela (5/2/4)
    Cable (1/4/5)

Can't quite get there from a single feeder:
    Loki (3/4/1)
    Goblin (2/2/2)
    Thano5 (5/1/2)
    DD5 (6/2/1)
    5trange (4/1/0)
    Bolt (3/1/1)
    Surfer (2/1/3)

The one I'm not sure about is Gladiator Thor. He's currently 2/0/2,  Valkyrie is at 281. I could potentially start a second Valkyrie when I get my first to 300, but it seems like he is going to take so long to force-feed him I'm not sure about the opportunity cost of padding out my 5* roster other ways. 

Unless Kitty suddenly gets a feeder, at 2/2/0 she is pretty dismal as well. 
    edited 8 October 2019, 01:26
    threw 100cp at Classic earlier, and pulled down 2 bonus Chavez covers for my trouble. Got a JJ, and Chavez is now at 341
    5torm is champed, i'm going to try running her at 5/3/5. I wonder how well she plays with Bishop/Mysterio? Seems like the blue->yellow->any color you need pipeline might be pretty entertaining if not outright dominant.
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,345 Chairperson of the Boards
    5torm is champed, i'm going to try running her at 5/3/5. I wonder how well she plays with Bishop/Mysterio? Seems like the blue->yellow->any color you need pipeline might be pretty entertaining if not outright dominant.
    That's how I run her. She's another where I really wish 5/5/5 were possible, but her green is probably the best of the three to drop down for general purposes. If I can ever get him champed, I guess that's one more reason Black Bolt seems like a great partner for her. In addition to the Charged tile synergies, I could run her at 4/4/5 or something and use his yellow to bring her up to maximum potential.
    My Bolt is at 3/1/1, Medusa is a couple covers from 300 as well. I could level him from 300 to 330, get a little more HP into him, and see if he can hang for awhile. Maybe put Okoye in the mix on that team to pump the numbers some. She's fun though, the board control is huge.
    The main issue I see there is the major colour overlap, particularly how much all three of them want yellow in that situation. Also, I've run into problems because if Storm is higher level than Okoye at all, she tanks black, which makes it harder to keep from bleeding your Team-Up AP away.
    But yeah, I really like Storm, she's a very fun character with great board control/shake. I'm hoping I can at least get Profe55or X finished, because even half-covered, he works great with her.
    I feel that way about Iceman (sitll haven't landed the Profe$$or)- there is a LOT of board shake potential there between those two and and all the CDs. From playing with my boosted 2/1/3 in DP vs MPQ they are a lot of fun together. I haven't quite got the hang of switching out targets for Iceman's stun yet, but it's quite effective - particularly when you can harpoon a bunch of them with Okoye, or 5torm a bunch away by greening blue tiles off the board.
    Yeah, I only have Iceman at like 2/1/1 so it's hard to get much of a feel for him yet, but at one point (I think right after I got Chuck fully coloured) I ran all three of them together for a bit and it was really fun, just total chaos. Sort of like running Chavez and MEHulk together, but more so.
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,344 Chairperson of the Boards
    So the question is, now that you have Storm covered (congrats btw!), do you hoard until she’s gone? Should give you a nice jumpstart on the new character which will be nice. 

If Storm uses her green to remove blue CDs it triggers Bobby’s stun? That’s sick.
    Thanks! yeah, you just need to "destroy" them, not match them. Same with his repeaters. So I really feel like Iceman is going to be the Backup Gladiathor all of us who don't have him can reasonably acquire. All those CDs tend to resolve all over the place when you're not actively chasing them, and so there is just ridiculous board shake constantly happening. 5torm can be really helpful to clear out those yellow CDs that would otherwise do him damage too either with green or with yellow, assuming they are near to Team Ups on the board.

I WAS saving up, then decided to burn my CP into classic while hanging on to my LTs. Then i was like...eh, why not? and burned the 4 LTs I had saved. Got another Iceman for my trouble though, so he is now 2/2/3. At this point, I think I need to sit tight and wait it out, and stack resources for when she leaves. So that's my current plan.
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,344 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah I think that's the smart play.  Hoarding gets easier the more you do it.  I'm already over 300 pulls again with all three Latests Champed (probably didn't need to skip Rescue in hindsight?) so might dip into classics myself. Unsure who to set as a Bonus Hero.  Thinking maybe Gambit.  I was going to wait for a feeder to finish him, but it seems like they are dead at the moment.
    edited 10 October 2019, 16:46
    I'm in less of a rush to just get any kind of thing now that I'm steadily champing my 4*s, and getting down to what seems like the end at that.

I have 12 more champable 4*s (including taskmaster), all but 3 are at 209 already.

I have 10 more 4*s  (Including Ham) waiting on covers, including Spider-man 2099.

My general plan is to chase whoever is oldest and then stop and wait for them to leave. I don't know what I'll do once the day comes I get the middle or newest one over first. So far, the 2 I've champed from latest have happened to be next-out and it's worked out ok.

It is a little weird how it feels like the champable ones are snowballing for me now. Of course feeders play such a big role in that, so if they truly are dead it'll be a sad day. I'm 9 miles' from Fi5k, and i'm 9 Chavez' from JJ. After that I still have some hills to climb on my classic fed 5s, and i think I should stay the course on Okoye as my next. Assuming one more non-red Bonus Hero for Okoye, Shuri needs to go from 291->340 and I can do a 3:1 swap.

Right now my post-Jessica Jones bonus plan is to move my 4* BH to Shuri, and my 3* BH will just park on Spid3r-Man in the background so i can brute force Fi5k over without actually setting him or Miles to my bonus hero. 
    I really thought with Ghost Rider: Robbie Reyes and Chavez boosted in this class of 2018 pvp I'd be doing better than I am lol.
    I was doing so well saving up for 5torm to leave, had 7 LTs and 170cp...then I just couldn't take it lol. I threw all that CP into Classic and burned the LTs. I got a pretty decent haul for it I suppose:
    5* Iron Man : Blue (3/2/1)
    SMPP: Red (1/0/3)
    Loki: Black (3/4/2) - this one technically makes him feedable off of my Main Event at level 340 rather than 360, so that's actually meaningful. not that I'll do that directly lol

And then out of Latest I got another blue Iceman for a 2/2/4. 

I'm pretty near to champing another 4* also, i'm back up at 208k iso.
    Across the anniversary I was able to champ:
    Devil D (got that ridiculous costume, it's pretty glorious)
    Carnage
    EB Venom
    Ghost
    5torm

Not sure who I'll do next, at this point one is as good as any of them.