The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 3,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 3
    I think if the feeder train were keeping up with the release train, I'd probably be doing a lot better. Also if I were using my 5* bonus hero to get whoever is oldest in latest I might be doing a bit better too, rather than chasing Okoye and JJ like I've been doing. I'm only 15 Chavez covers away from being done with JJ though, and Shuri has been getting covers in the background via RNG. I'll need to take her from 290->340 to finish Okoye depending on the 5* BH situation (she's another one I'd 3:1 to finish, so any bonus hero will shorten my chase by 3-4 months even if it isn't the red I need).

I'm 12 Mileses away from finishing Fi5k, which is where all this started.

But then Danver5 left early at 6/1/3, and she had a feeder while in latest. I could finish her up via C4rol (295), but that's easily a year of bonus heroes if Chavez->JJ is anything to go by. Possibly not, considering she's fed from 2* up, and I haven't attempted that all-in bonus tree yet, but I'd definitely do Lumbercap before I did that.

Hela only made it to 5/2/4; feedable but not an auto-complete since I only have 2 4*s that are at 300+

Cable is also feedable at 1/4/5, but I tend to consider people with 1 on a color to be unrealistic feeds since it means you're going around to the second block of cover drops from a 4* (okoye being one who is worth the chase in my opinion, also JJ).
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,249 Chairperson of the Boards
    I get waiting for a feeder.  That’s probably what I would do (I’m skipping her entirely actually). 

But for a guy with only two champed 5* that have overlap in their best active color, I also understand just wanting warm bodies and new toys to play with. Rescue brings a blue outlet and a much much better red than Ghost Rider. She also has utility with Okoye whom you’re building up.

I wish you the best of luck in finishing her. Hopefully you get that last yellow soon. Because I believe every Rescue you pull now, is a Professor you could have pulled later. 
    For sure it's more about adding warm bodies to the roster here. Given that she's oldest, I assume they'd shift over to being 5torms, but yeah, I do agree that X is really strong. I would make the case though that Rescue probably has a better red than Okoye. I worry though that she's just going to tank all of Okoye's colors until I can get Okoye done, so even if I do finisher her, it may be better to soft-cap her rather than champ her for the time being.

In other news, I got 336 for Chavez. Hopefully that momentum persists and I can get JJ done.
    Since that last Rescue pull, i was able to scrounge up 14 pulls for an even 2/day average, but didn't land any 5*s before she left latest. 

In other news - this 3* Doom pvp has a rad boost list, so I climbed all the way to 900 without shielding just using boosted Vulture and boosted Chavez last night. With GE Doom being locked out, I wanted to see what happens using 4*s. After a day, I'm currently floating at 586 pts, which is a huge improvement over how it usually goes when I climb with Doom/Chavez (unboosted). I may see if I can push to 1200 at some point here by hauling Ghost Rider out on my final climb.
    edited September 10
    Without GE Doom, it’s really tough to win fast enough above 1,000 pts to break 1200. I ended up popping an 8hr Shield to try again later at 1123. Most of the 40+ point opponents have Bishop on them, which makes my Chavez/Vulture team less effective than the even slower Vulture/Peggy, which is contributing to my point loss I think. Maybe I should have tried Okoye/Chavez instead but I didn’t think of it.
    well, i was not able to get over 1151pts. I didn't have anyone available fast enough to get there without coming out behind. It was incredibly frustrating to be so near. 

This Dak3n pvp is pretty much a nightmare for my roster with all the Kitties running around as well. I'll certainly be happy with 575 on this one...
    edited September 13
    I champed Prowler for a pair of LTs, and coming off a fairly long dry streak of 23, I pulled another yellow 5torm for 2/4/7. So if the theory about fixed pulls being a thing is true, that would have been a red Rescue most likely? I like 5torm though, hopefully another green or two show up here soon.
    Well guys, I just pulled the last cover I needed to champ Bishop. This should be way better than finishing any more 5*s. I'll let you know how well this lvl 273 performs in my MMR once I get the iso to take him from 222 to champ lol. I'm sure I'll be rolling in points now
  • BowgentleBowgentle Posts: 5,023 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well guys, I just pulled the last cover I needed to champ Bishop. This should be way better than finishing any more 5*s. I'll let you know how well this lvl 273 performs in my MMR once I get the iso to take him from 222 to champ lol. I'm sure I'll be rolling in points now
    Yeah if your goal is to finish unshielded at 650, Bishop's your man.
    1200... won't be happening.
    edited September 19
    I don't play either mode for placement, the only thing I care about in regards to floating is being able to multi-session climb to 900. Jumping there from 650 is way less work than jumping there from 398 or whatever ridiculous point I'm at now. I also don't really think this baby champ Bishop is going to be any kind of deterrent, I was just being funny there.

I remember when Bishop launched, I was like "all he does is die, what's the point of him? hard pass..." lol
  • KojubatKojubat Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    So if the theory about fixed pulls being a thing is true, that would have been a red Rescue most likely?
    The data table seems to be in alphabetical order, not release order. So a Storm cover would still have been a Storm cover. Any Professor X you pull would have been Rescue.

Considering that all I have pulled from Latest for Charles is purple (0/4/2 - the two black are from his special CP store) and my Rescue is at 0/9/1, the color randomizer for that character in the sequence seems to be stuck for my seed value.
  • BowgentleBowgentle Posts: 5,023 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed Prowler for a pair of LTs, and coming off a fairly long dry streak of 23, I pulled another yellow 5torm for 2/4/7. So if the theory about fixed pulls being a thing is true, that would have been a red Rescue most likely? I like 5torm though, hopefully another green or two show up here soon.
    No telling about the colour, but yeah that storm would still have been a storm.
    Right on - i figured their position in the table was based on seniority in Latest, but alphabetical by first name is pretty par for the choices in this game. Don't worry though, I didn't pull any Rescues. I'm sitting on 2:52 right now, so I'm about due for a 5*. Still no Professor X either.
    Been Throwing CP into this Wakanda store hoping for Okoye (6/4/1) or Thano5 (5/1/2), but no 5s yet. I did manage to hit 2k in simulator again finally, and I haven’t even champed Bishop yet lol. I just started skipping all the Bishop teams and taking 30pt teams after I got to 1800 and got there eventually.
    Well, I pulled a 5* out of there, but it was the most useless of all pulls just about. Now I have a 2/0/2 Panther for my trouble
    I hit 40 wins to get a Worthy Cap, and the 5k iso i got from his shield training let me finish champing Bishop. That LT got me a green Iceman for 2/1/2
    Got another yellow for 5torm, sitting at 2/4/8 now. Any other color, and I'd make the swap to finish her.
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,249 Chairperson of the Boards
    Got another yellow for 5torm, sitting at 2/4/8 now. Any other color, and I'd make the swap to finish her.

Storm is very underrated. High fun factor. Pretty much all her actives cause board shake which is cool. And her Black passive and Yellow active are great powers.

Her main problem for you is that her best two active colors overlap with Doom (yellow/black), Okoye (yellow), and Jessica (black). Even if her green is super weak, at least you’ll have an outlet in that color. You really need some variety in the form of some Blue/Purple. Here’s hoping you finish Prof (Purple) and Iceman (Blue). 

I think Doom/Storm could be fun despite the overlap. Just need a third to mop up some other colors. But her black can be as much of a battery for others as it it is herself. Doom can tank yellow for storm to change all the teamups to black, which will hopefully cause the black charged tiles to get matched and you can fallen favor for days. 
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,265 Chairperson of the Boards

I think Doom/Storm could be fun despite the overlap. Just need a third to mop up some other colors. But her black can be as much of a battery for others as it it is herself. Doom can tank yellow for storm to change all the teamups to black, which will hopefully cause the black charged tiles to get matched and you can fallen favor for days. 
    Plus, DoomStorm is an awesome team name!
    Yeah, I really like 5torm. The current crop of latest I think is as strong a group as we’ve seen in quite some time.

I got another Iceman out of latest over the weekend, up to 2/1/3. Still no Professor $$ for me though.