The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 2,727 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hot streak continues. 5torm is at 1/1/3, Chavez is up to 327.
    edited July 9
    Finally got a yellow Rescue for a 3/1/3. Since Doom left, I've had a 26.98% pull rate (17/63) out of latest. Wild.

I've been using this Double Iso spider-man celebration to get all my 10+ cover 4*s to 209. I have 6 left that are eligible, then all the rest are either very new or limited characters (ham and taskmaster) that need covers. 

Shout out to this Miles Morales->Fi5k update coming Friday. I have a 281 miles, which will put my Fi5k at 5/4/3
    Well, it's looking like that hot streak has gone cold finally. Not an abnormal dry run (yet), but I'm up to 9 pulls since my last 5* in Latest. 

I started playing PVP in slice 5 as an experiment. It starts/ends way later than I'm used to, but I find it somehow less brutal to hang on to points than slice 1 where I was typically playing. 
    Looks like quite a few pidgeons are coming home to roost at the same time: 

We seem to be getting back into 3* pvp, and Ragnarok is one of the max-champs i chose to flip. dual 5* MMR with an un-champed loaner is...a struggle. I went ahead and re-champed Ragnarok today, but haven't gone back in to see how it affects things. I am curious what happens to my defense teams in this scenario though - do people I beat with a loaner now retaliate against my champed ragnarok, or do they see it with the team in the state it was when I beat them on their retals list? I have no way to find out.

I am now squarely in a dry spell, up to 13 pulls since my last 5. How long will it go on? I'm betting quite a long time after that hot streak lol. Oh well, if it stalls the bus until Iceman hits, I guess that's ok.
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm pretty sure they still get to pound on the Loaner Ragnarok. I'm kind of curious about this one myself. Wanna see if I can still make Ragfinity work with full 5* MMR.
    I never quite got the hang of that, how does it actually work? Who do you need and what is the spec on it?
    I never quite got the hang of that, how does it actually work? Who do you need and what is the spec on it?
    Rags with 5 covers in red, Riri with 4+ covers in blue. Usually a battery Character as the third to get it going.
    Get up in the 24-30 red AP range (possibly by using Riri's blue once or twice first, especially if using Vulture as the battery), then fire Thunderclap until you run out, or there's a useful match-5 you can make.
    By this point, you should have picked up enough blue to fire Magnetic Repulsors 2-3 times, or until you get up above 24 red AP. Repeat as needed.
    If it stalls out, Riri's green can remove at least one threat for a couple of turns while you build back up again. This is another reason I prefer Vulture over IM40 as the battery.
    It's not 100% guaranteed, and I haven't used it since I champed a 5*, so I don't know if they can last long enough against opposing 5* teams to get rolling properly. The final reason I use Vulture as the battery is that he's sort of a built-in backup plan, since he can often remain airborne more or less indefinitely.
    I can tell you it absolutely doesn’t work in my dual 5* MMR Lol. I didn’t even get Vulture off the ground in the 3 fights I queued up.
    Disappointing, but not surprising. I'm still gonna give it a try, just for the heck of it.
    Your mileage will certainly vary. My Ragnarok is a baby champ (173), and Riri is similarly at 278. Vulture is pretty good at 292 though, but it's not enough.
    edited July 19
    Broke that dry spell with a pair of 5torms for a 1/2/4 build. I'm not going to spend any CP in this Iceman store; curious what will come of my token from Sinister 6 progression. I threw 1800 hp at the vault, got the professor X but not the token, and now I'm out of hp for the moment. 
    Your mileage will certainly vary. My Ragnarok is a baby champ (173), and Riri is similarly at 278. Vulture is pretty good at 292 though, but it's not enough.
    With Vulture at 305, Riri at 296, and Rags at 243, I was able to win four of the six matches I tried them in. It was way too health pack intensive, tho, and they're a terrible defensive team, which ended up causing me some major problems toward the end of the event. I might pull them out again for Lightning Rounds, but not for Krakadoom, probably.
    No new 5* pulls, but i did get 2 back to back Chavez bonus covers over the weekend. She is sitting at 329. Getting so close to Jessica Jones! I'm also 15 Rock3t covers away from finishing up Drax, who is my last feedable 4* who isn't fully covered. After that, I'll probably shift to Spid3r-Man (184) ->Miles (286)->Fi5k (5/4/3) so that I can get the last cover i need for him before moving on to the next "real" 5* I want to chase.

I'm still on the fence about doing:

Shuri (288)-> Okoye (6/4/1)
    or
    Cap -> Bucky (285) -> Lumbercap (2/4/4)

Unless I get a bonus Red Okoye (or a saved bonus), I'm looking at taking Shuri all the way to 350 and trading 3:1 to finish her, essentially a 5-6 month proposition if this run of Chavez covers is representative. I'll probably save up a 250cp bank if I go this route, that way i can direct-purchase red if it shows up in the meantime.

Lumbercap has the advantage of being 3* fed, and in my mind reasonably effective with Doom at countering the Gritty meta I'm stuck in with my current champs; I'll try and get a sense of how much easier it is to grow a 4* with a 3* feeder as I chase Fi5k via Miles and go from there.
    edited July 22
    Figured I'd run some numbers -

Since Doom left latest, I've pulled:
    Latest Legends: 84
    5* draws: 18 (21.4%)
    5* Bonus: 0
    4* Bonus: 3

Classic Legends: 6
    5* Draws: 1 (Thano5)
    5* Bonus: 1 (Jessica Jones)
    4* Bonus: 0

Average Pulls/day (total): 3.56

Not sure what happened there - that seems like a huge increase in the number of pulls/day compared to before, even though if I'd had to guess I'd have said it felt like I was pulling less than before Doom. I suppose it's just the smaller 1-month sample size. 

*edit - I forgot I'd saved up the 2 weeks between me covering Doom and him leaving latest. So that pull rate is inclusive of spending all that when 5torm arrived.

Current crop of latest:
    Hela: 5/0/4
    Rescue: 3/1/3
    5torm: 1/2/4

I'm thinking Hela is over, and at best I'll land one more for her on some color. Rescue and 5torm both have good starts, and as it was with Doom, I have a lot of 4* characters poised to get champed. Nearly all my champable 4*s are at 209 (just ghost and TA Hulk left), and almost all of them are sitting on 9-10 saved covers at this point. Many of them are feeders for hopeless 5s, so they won't all be huge sources of tokens. 

Since Chavez has been my sole 4* BH from 1/25/2019 (or so), I've missed out on Shield Training any time it's featured someone new. I still need covers for the following 4*s:

Bishop: 4/3/8
    Drax: 2/5/5 
    Magik: 3/3/4
    Ronin: 2/2/4
    Namor: 4/5/3
    Th4nos: 2/1/4
    Mysterio: 1/1/2 (still flagged NEW! at present)
    Black Cat: 0/2/3 (still working on Shield Training and Hearts of Darkness)
    Sabretooth: 1/1/3
    Talos: 2/2/2

Limited:
    Ham: 1/2/4
    Taskmaster: 3/2/2
    My current plan is to keep pulling until Hela leaves, and then hoard until Rescue is gone as well. I've got Hela at 2/1/5, tho, so she only needs a couple more non-black covers to be in pretty good shape for a feeder. Not sure I'd take that route with a 5/0/4, tho.
    edited July 22
    I’d much rather she go off into the sunset at a feedable 5/1/4 (or better) than now, but we’ll see how it plays out. If I pull a saved cover I may wait for her to go out. I also have a suspicion Rescue is a little better than people are making out, so I’m not opposed to getting more of her.
    5torm hit 1/2/5 last night, so now I’m really playing with saved covers fire lol
    I’d much rather she go off into the sunset at a feedable 5/1/4 (or better) than now, but we’ll see how it plays out. If I pull a saved cover I may wait for her to go out. I also have a suspicion Rescue is a little better than people are making out, so I’m not opposed to getting more of her.
    Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable. I just have a fear from a few past experiences of ending up at 5/0/5.
    Got that Green Hela I was after. Also Chavez 330. Closing in on that JJ finish line!