The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 2,750 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man, that's a great haul!

Closed out Prodigal Sun for 55cp. After grinding out that Prowler from Simulator and only seeing near-champ Kitty teams (lvl 390-420), I decided it was super important that I get Dazzler champed, and so moved my BH to her from Domino to get the last cover I needed.

Sandman: Green (lvl 280, came with a Green Goblin for 2/1/2)
    Bonus Hero: Dazzler Black
    Bl4ck Widow: Purple (saved cover 6)

Today's Dazzler crash (shockingly hard for my 209 4/5/4, had to dump 100k iso into her and use match damage boosts) got me an LT

Lady Thor: Yellow (2cp champ level)

I'm somehow back up to 19cp after all that. I guess it was incidental champ levels coming out of DDQ tokens (Dar3devil hit lvl 215 for 4cp) and a few loose CP from the subs in prodigal sun.

I'm trying to decide if I want to do Meet R&G in SCL 8 or 9 now. I play the 11pm EST slice, so I have time to decide. My Cable (required 5*) is trash at 1/1/0 lvl 250, and the only boosted 4*s I have in there are X-23 and C&D. My Bl4de is lvl 209, 5/5/2 with 1 saved, and Carnage is 5/5/2 lvl 131 with 7 saved, so i could put him over given the iso. I always confuse this one with Honor Among Thieves - anybody know if it's largely goons or is this one full of tile movers?

• Rod5Rod5 Posts: 437 Mover and Shaker
    I’d say it’s pretty goon-heavy
    Cool, I'll probably do 9 then. 

Based on my pull tracking spreadsheet, that was the 7th pull since my last 5* draw out of latest, so I'm expecting one in the next few pulls. 
  • DAZ0273DAZ0273 Posts: 2,869 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rod5 said:
    I’d say it’s pretty goon-heavy
    Yeah. Juggernaut features first. Then Deadpool I think? Then Mystique + goons and Doom + goons later on.
    Updated my gamependium through the 4* tier and added it to my signature if anyone is curious. I'll add the 3*s later today, i'm not sure I'll add anything below that other than Bagman and Yelena since it cycles so quickly - trust I'm farming 2*s and not rostering dupes I guess lol.
  • BigSoftieFFBigSoftieFF Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    So after my recent token pulling I feel like I have some decisions to make:

1 — Should I continue to pull while Kitty is in there to get her as many levels as possible?

2 — If I don’t pull should I resume pulling when Kitty leaves so that I can try to snag the last Cable cover I need or wait patiently for a feeder?
    edited January 4
    the spirit of this thread is pull as you go, my dude. so I say #1 lol.

Started MR&G early at SCL9, ended up with 24cp. Got a 3cp champ level for lockjaw out of a predator and prey token (had a bonus green domino for 2/5/5). took a Latest pull:

Medusa: Purple
  • BlackBoltRocksBlackBoltRocks Posts: 2,284 Chairperson of the Boards

1 — Should I continue to pull while Kitty is in there to get her as many levels as possible?

2 — If I don’t pull should I resume pulling when Kitty leaves so that I can try to snag the last Cable cover I need or wait patiently for a feeder?
    Another option is wait another three weeks. That's when the next 5* will be released - assuming the general 6-week pattern holds - and then you can see whether that 5* is any good or not, and which other two 5* are in that release vault. Then recalibrate your decisions as necessary.

Another option is wait another three weeks. That's when the next 5* will be released - assuming the general 6-week pattern holds - and then you can see whether that 5* is any good or not, and which other two 5* are in that release vault. Then recalibrate your decisions as necessary.
    Your option definitely makes the most sense. I would like to cover Cable and it’s a shame the missing cover wasn’t blue so a feeder could finish him quick.
  • justsingjustsing Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    This is a great thread, and I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out for you.

A few questions for you... If you happen to finish Kingpin before he leaves Latest, will you keep pulling or will you stop and hoard for a bit until he leaves? Do you track your CP/LT gain in a spreadsheet? If so, how many Latest pulls are you earning on average per day?

I ask because I also pull as I go, but I stop and hoard once I've finished the 5* that is about to leave Latest. With this method, I've successfully covered all 5*s since Gambit (minus Wa5p who I stopped pulling for at 5/5/2). I do play SCL7 PVE for placement though, and my CP/LT gain for Nov-Dec was ~2.5 Latest pulls/day on average. 
    edited January 4
    I don't track my resource gain generally, just my pulls. I started tracking pulls sometime around june of last year as a way to see how often I was getting 5* covers when I felt like I was on an excessive dry streak. Splitting my draws between Latest and Classic like I generally do means that i'm on that 1:7 (mileage may vary) pulls in 2 different stores, so a dry streak in both would feel interminable, even though it might only be like 1:8 or 9, something like that. So it helped curb some of that confirmation bias to be able to look at trends over time and see that generally things were balancing out. My longest dry streak since I started tracking was around 13 or 14, but i got a 4* BH in the middle of that.

So part of the fun of this thread is seeing where my legendary draws are coming from, and how often I'm taking them. For instance: 2* Bullseye champ level gave me a 10cp level for Bulls3ye last night, champ level for Ares got me another 3 this morning, so I'm up to 17, and I can get the 575 out of Predator and Prey fairly quickly. I also got the last yellow I needed to re-champ 3* Cap with a few saved covers on him, so there's an LT there. I'm working on Dazzler first though, since I"m getting stomped by the Kitty teams in Sim, so all my iso is headed that way for the next few days (need about 75k) and she doesn't have any saved covers on her. So it's looking like i'm probably able to pull down 2/day on average?

As to whether or not I'll keep pulling, I suppose that's going to depend on how early in the run it happens, if it happens. It would be awesome to go into the launch store for Next 5 with some resources, but I'm skeptical I'll get it done by then. It's possible I'll switch back to Classic for a little bit at that point, or I may just save up. 

I have a question for you about pulling strategy: are you setting one of the current crop as your bonus hero while they're in latest to help finish them up?
    edited January 4
    10cp from Predator and Prey put me at 27. Latest:

War Machine: Blue (saved)

This is pull #9 with no 5* and single 4* bh (not mad, just summarizing). Since i came in to Kingpin with 3 saved pulls, it looks like I'm currently averaging 2.5/day as well, though 2 days of pulling is hardly a trend.
    edited January 5
    Not to beat a dead horse, but can one of y’all in SCL 7 or 8 confirm how many loose CP are on the Hobofist node in Luck be a Lady? I’m seeing 1cpX2 on it in SCL 9. Same for the final node, has 2 single CP rewards on it.
  • justsingjustsing Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 5

I have a question for you about pulling strategy: are you setting one of the current crop as your bonus hero while they're in latest to help finish them up?
    I used to, but I only got one 5* BH (Jessica Jones) out of 112 5*s from 674 total Latest pulls in 2018. So I basically covered most of my Latest 5*s without the help of BHs. 

I would say it's probably fine to just BH whoever you really want regardless of whether they're in Latest or not. These days, I lean towards BHing Classic 5*s because I so very rarely pull from Classics. I was able to finish my Thano5 (3/5/0 to 5/5/3) thanks to BHs, feeders, and the KP release store. My 5* DD is also in better shape now (4/1/4 to 4/3/4) thanks to BHs. 

I personally lean towards spending extra CP in special stores instead of continuing to pull from Latest after finishing a 5* or switching to Classics. But that depends on your goals. If there isn't a specific Classic 5* you're interested in chasing or if you just want more champ levels for your 4*s, then Classics is the best bang for your buck. Otherwise, I think the special stores (including the new release ones) are the best way to get some covers for specific Classic 5*s, but YMMV since those stores are only temporary and you only have a limited number of pulls saved when they come around.
  • BlackBoltRocksBlackBoltRocks Posts: 2,284 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not to beat a dead horse, but can one of y’all in SCL 7 or 8 confirm how many loose CP are on the Hobofist node in Luck be a Lady? I’m seeing 1cpX2 on it in SCL 9. Same for the final node, has 2 single CP rewards on it.
    Yes, that’s the case for all 48 hr subs. The 4* essential and final nodes have double the CP to make up for it being 48 hrs instead of 24.
    edited January 5
    Didn’t think to check that, thanks for the heads up.

I’m stuck at 24cp now unless I get a random pair of 2* Torches off of PVP. I’m trying to grind out the last 10.5k iso I need to pay the champ tax on Dazzler, though I don’t have a lvl 271 saved on her-so that won’t be an immediate LT. I do have quite a few characters 1 cover away from it though, so I’m sure it’ll shake out in time.
  • PongiePongie Posts: 1,224 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just to chime in, I’m free 2 play for 4 years and having transitioned to 5* in 2017-2018, I can tell you I always have sufficient latest tokens or command points to attempt to cover the latest 5*. However, I chose to skip some considering how lack lustre some were (wasp, archangel etc). A lone cover is enough for pve essential. this is why I don’t pull as I go. Pulls are mostly from special stores (if a decent classic I need is paired with a decent new release) or when the newly release rotates in. 

My current hoard is 80 tokens and 10727 command points. Tokens were spent to finish Loki when the store had cable and kitty. I play pve scl9 and normally place top 50 (most of the time in the 30s). For pvp, I play till 900 in scl9, occasionally 1200 if time permits (I tend to climb in one session and shield out). Placement for pvp is usually outside top 50, under top 100. 1200 used to be enough for top 25, but not anymore. Even less reason to reach it every event. 

It makes little difference pulling as you go or hoarding. The 4* covers are just champion rewards at this stage. The progress comes from the 5* covers. Earning them one at a time doesn’t make them any more playable. Beat to pull when you can complete one or hold and wait for the one you have completed to rotate
    edited January 6
    Got the C4ge in Predator & Prey, didn’t realize it was a 2cp champ level so I was able to make a pull after all:
    X-23: Purple - lvl 280 for an LT
    XFDP: Purple (saved)

pretty sweet 11 cover dry spell for 5*s lol
    I was able to champ Dazzler this morning, so now I’ll probably start sitting on Iso in advance of the next 4* release Shield Training.

Got the 30Cp from MR&G, pulled:

XFW: yellow (3rd saved)
    bonus
    Domino: Red (2nd saved)

this is approaching my longest recorded dry spell, curious how long it will last. It’s probably balancing out the last 2 Loki’s I got nearly back to back that came with a bonus Gho5t Rider right before I started pulling for Kingpin...

I have 18CP left over, havent started God of Lies yet. The Medusa in progression will be lvl 290 for me, so there is an LT waiting in there also. 
    Hows your Prowler @ThaRoadWarrior? Consensus seems to believe he’ll be a part of the next ST.