The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 2,527 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champed Moon Knight with 13 saved. 2 LTs from that, plus a cp draw:
    4* Lord: Yellow (10th saved)
    Chavez: Green (305)
    GE Doom: Yellow (3/1/4)
    edited April 15
    got an LT champ level off the gamora in DDQ today

Gwenpool: Green (9th saved)

Got the final cp out of The Hunt for one last stab at Fi5k.

Ant-Man: Blue (9th saved)

Got a 3* Thor from that new avengers vault that opened today good for an LT
    G4mora: Red (291)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, now that we're at the end of the run with Fi5k in latest, it's probably time for a post mortem and a look towards what's next for the ol' RoadWarrior:

I switched from SCL8 story mode to SCL9 at the start of the experiment, so the premise changed slightly right in that first post - outside of character launch events I didn't mess with placement as per the original premise. I never had my BH set to a 5* currently in latest - it was spent chasing well covered classics. Initially GRRR and then Okoye. I never used my 4* BH to chase LTs specifically, I just set in on Chavez most of the way through the project and left it there. 

· total opportunities to pull in latest earned between 1/2/2019 and 4/15/2019: 219
    · total opportunities actually spent into latest: 210

· total number of organic 5* pulls out of latest: 31
    · Percentage of Latest Legends pulls that were 5*: 14.8%

· Total number of 5*'s acquired through bonus pulls: 2
    · Percentage of 5* pulls that resulted in a bonus hero: 6.45%

· Total number of 4* bonus heroes acquired in Latest: 9
    · Percentage of 4* pulls that resulted in a bonus hero: 5.03%

· Average Latest Legends pulls earned/day (inclusive of the ones spent elsewhere): 2.13

5* Tally across the Fi5k run in Latest:

Kitty Pryde: 3 covers for a final build of 2/2/0
    Cable: 8 covers for a final build of 1/4/5
    Fi5k: 11 covers for a final build of 4/4/3
    GE Doom: 8 covers for a final build of 3/1/4
    Danver5: 3 covers for a final build of 1/0/3

Some items that diluted the experiment:
    · When i began pulling for Kingpin, I did have a few draws saved up.
    · I spent 9 draws in other legendary stores, one of which allowed me to complete my GRRR
    · Fi5k's tenure in latest was ended 2 weeks early, presumably due to Endgame related content
    · Champing 5* Ghost Rider definitely made it harder to get the 900pt 4* cover in pvp, so that incremental progress was impacted. Additionally, i no longer had a float point in the top 100 in PVP, so I was losing out on a decent number of passive placement rewards after making that life choice
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Moving forward:

I'm going to keep pulling into latest-only. Based on this performance, I believe that it's possible to cover as i go this way. Given that I burned 9 draws elsewhere and the run is ending 2 weeks early, it's entirely likely that I'd have been able to get Fi5k done in time in a standard tenure. I have a really solid start on Doom, though I'm not in love with that cover distribution. 

I'm going to try to only spend iso on champing 4*s and farming until I get caught up on the ones that are missing covers, and then i'll look at throwing iso into well-covered 5s again. Of course, a champ-able GE Doom will change that. I'll also leave my bonus hero on America Chavez (earned 20 covers across this process, 55 more to go) until I cover JJ (4/2/3). Once JJ is covered, if I haven't already by then, I may try for that last Bishop cover i need, or I may just move directly on to Shuri (283) in order to finish Okoye who is feedable now (6/3/1).

Something I haven't yet settled on is whether or not to build up a 250cp nest egg in advance of a hero for hire deal. I think in reality, I only need to have around 200, since I could earn that last 50 across the appropriate event (assuming it's not an alliance event). My concern is that it will impact my Doom acquisition to take 10 draws out of the running. But there's nothing that says i can't spend it all right before he leaves if need be. 

As for this thread, I think I'll update it less frequently, maybe weekly, or just when i land a 5* I'll back-fill it with the draw rates. Unless y'all like the pull-by-pull commentary?
    Bit of a post-credits scene here: looks like Fi5k is getting an extra day in Latest, and the second 10-pack I threw at that avengers vault got me a lvl 266 for IM40

GE Doom: Yellow (4/1/4)

so who who wants to place bets I can rally on black vs ending up with saved covers for this dude?
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,029 Chairperson of the Boards
    Assuming you get the 1/2/1 you need, are you going to champ Doom and join dual 5 MMR?
    edited April 16
    I dunno - it seems Ill advised but odds are good I’ll do it impulsively. Maybe I’ll wait until Hela starts showing up and see how that goes. My hope is that I can cover him reasonably early, then start saving up until he leaves latest.

I like that Doom has a heal, and his board shuffle might be good for Hell Ride. If his nuke were on blue or some non-GRRR color it would make me happier lol. 

Post-post credits scene:

One last CP draw this morning after DDQ:
    Mockingbird: Yellow (286)
    Still no Hela, but the last 2 LLs I've drawn  have come with bonus Chavez covers back to back. She's at 308 now.
    No 5* news to speak of, but Chavez is up to 310, and I have 2 greens on Th4nos.
    Got another bonus Chavez (311), and a red Danver5 (2/0/2)
    edited April 23
    Since that Danver5, I've pulled:

Flaptain: red
    Spider-Woman: Red
    Hela: Red

Now it's time to decide if I stop pulling until Doom is about to leave latest, or just keep pulling as I go. I'm going to attempt to save up, and work on champing my 4*s during this golden age of double iso; we'll see how that goes for me. I do like Doom though, I'll probably end up pulling for him before he leaves if he doesn't end up with a feeder announcement.

I see that Danver5 is getting a feeder in the form of C4rol on Friday. My own C4rol is at 292 right now. I'm mildly tempted to shift my BH off of Chavez for the week, but it seems unlikely I'll pull down 8 C4rols in that time. I see there is one on day 6 of the endgame stuff, but my 3* carol is in the high 190s, so she won't be any help. I'm going to stick to the plan, and leave it on Chavez. 

I'm currently averaging 0.29 Chavez covers/day. Since 1/24/2019 I've brought in 26 from organic and bonus pulls across varioius stores. I have 49 more to go until JJ is cover-complete.
    edited April 24
    Interesting enough, in this Main Event Hulk event, I've been climbing with my old favorite sim team of Main Event/Mockingbird/Chavez even though neither wingperson is on the boost list, and I actually have a float point up around 600 again compared to the +/-50 of 400 I have had otherwise since champing GRRR. I guess people don't love that Gamma Powerbomb in their face for free...

The retals I am seeing are much more diverse than Kitty/Rocket and the usual Thorkoye (though they are present). It's a lot more like what I heard Single 5* MMR would be like, with random Silver Surfer + Chavez or some OMLs etc. I guess double-grand-entrances aren't conducive to those Gritty-reliant climbers.
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 2,985 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting enough, in this Main Event Hulk event, I've been climbing with my old favorite sim team of Main Event/Mockingbird/Chavez even though neither wingperson is on the boost list, and I actually have a float point up around 600 again compared to the +/-50 of 400 I have had otherwise since champing GRRR. I guess people don't love that Gamma Powerbomb in their face for free...

The retals I am seeing are much more diverse than Kitty/Rocket and the usual Thorkoye (though they are present). It's a lot more like what I heard Single 5* MMR would be like, with random Silver Surfer + Chavez or some OMLs etc. I guess double-grand-entrances aren't conducive to those Gritty-reliant climbers.
    Yeah, I've benched Grocket for this one. May still run Kitty/Carnage at some point if I get stuck needing some 5* power.
  • DormammuDormammu Posts: 3,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I've benched Grocket for this one. May still run Kitty/Carnage at some point if I get stuck needing some 5* power.
    I played Kitty/Carnage twice now in MEHulk's event. Carnage's attack tiles definitely start packing a punch but you do need to try and protect them a bit if possible. A cascade or match-4 that takes a bunch of yours out in one turn can really slow you down. Prioritize yellow for Kitty and cast that if it happens, allowing you to get more tiles out when you're low and keep her buffing.
    I attempted to run New Reed/Carnage to see how often i’d Get free power bombs out of it. It didn’t work as well as Mockingbird.
    I got tired of saving up, and went back to spending into Latest after that previous post. I unloaded all 6 of my max-champ 3*s during Double Iso, and threw it mostly at the characters I had at 209 with 10 covers saved up. I was able to champ:

Quake (13 saved)
    Cyclops (10 saved)
    XFDP (9 saved)
    Gwenpool (10 saved)

There were a few CP draws across that pull streak as well. I had a 9 cover dry spell between the red Hela and my next 5*, which was a yellow Danver5. Coupled with the feeder going live, that puts her at 3/0/3. Then I had 3 4*s, and got a GE Doom: Black - putting him at 4/2/4.

I'm pretty close to champing Ant-Man who has 10 saved, I'll get there just before his PVP I think. That'll put my Wa5p at 3/2/1 (yay...i guess). 

I haven't started the G4mora pvp yet, but that 4ocket PVP was a full on nightmare. I was 16 wins and out as soon as I could be lol.
    Since pulling that Doom, I was able to champ Ant-Man, and I got a 266th for Dak3n. Those three pulls were:

Lady Thor: Blue
    Hela: Black
    Hela: Red (2/0/1)

I'm glad they were hela's over Danver5, but I would really like to finish up Doom. I like to think that I'll have the fortitude to wait out the Danver5 run for whoever is next, but maybe not when it comes down to it.
    I managed to champ Spider-Gwen with 10 saved covers, i've just started aggressively flipping over max-champ 3*s as they happen at this point to get the iso for that. I'm down to 7 champable 4s at 209, then 11 more champables in various states of trivial leveling (including Devil d and howard), and 10 that need covers (including Ham and Taskmaster but not Ronin).

Since that last post, I went 6 pulls, then got

Hela: Red (3/0/1)

I'm wondering if pulling as I go really is going to just result in a bunch of 11 cover 5*s....I definitely prefer Hela covers to Danver5 covers, but Doom is so close y'all - can't we just finish one before we start getting those? lol
    edited May 6
    Got a green for my Danver5 over the weekend, she's 3/1/3. I've been pulling 5s at a rate that makes me think I'm due for a mega dry spell. Hopefully it doesn't come before I get those last 3 Dooms I need, but if it does, I guess that's life. I had multiple 15-24 pull dry spells across kingpin's run, which I suspect is part of why I wasn't able to get him done before he left. If my relatively solid odds hold out for Doom, it could work.

I managed to champ Iron Spider this morning, so now I have a complete 4* Spider-Fam team. I wonder if it'll work in Simulator against all those gritty/bishops I see, or if their levels are too relatively low? I need to try it out, see who tanks what. Miles and IS are at 278, and Gwen is at 281
    edited May 6
    My expectation for IS is that he is going to negate some of that Bishop damage, and the web-spam would ideally be accruing purple for Gwen to mutli-stun, as well as keeping that health up generally until somebody can nuke Bishop off the map. I don't expect it'll be The Answer to that team, just one more reliable option to get some of those last few points climbing from 1,800-2,000 in Simulator where those teams are all I see. My Rogue/G4mora/Vulture team was pretty reliable if I stocked it up with +AP boosts first.
    I got a Kamala Khan from a pvp token that got a medusa that got me some cp that got me to latest yesterday. pulled:

Danver5: Red (4/1/3)

bonus
    Okoye: Yellow (6/4/1)

This is a great spread for using her un-finished, but a terrible spread for feeding her to completion since I still need to take Shuri from 283-360 to do it lol.