The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crash token + daily drop lt

ant man: blue (8 saved)

Invisible Woman: green (9 saved)
    I'm trying to post-mortem how I was able to float so easily in God of Thunder. I even had a few defense wins, using who knows what team - maybe Okoye/Medusa. At first I was thinking it was because my Thor is up in the 250s, possibly enhancing my skippability. Then i realized that Gladiator Thor would have been locked out, which means that one of the stronger meta teams was pretty effectively neutered for this event. I ended up finishing at exactly 50th place. I'm probably going to wait to start Beast's event for another day, and climb it later. He is in the high 220s.
    Cp draw 

4ocket: green (289)
    Season 10-pack had a 3* Torch good for an LT

coulson: Blue (292)
    Daily reward of 25cp

fury: purple (4 saved)
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,033 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems the experiment will be effectively ending early with Fisk being pushed out sooner than expected. Any alterations to the game plan or are you staying the course until Hela is in tokens?
    edited March 26
    I got a pair of Beasts from the Real McCoy pvp that put him up to an LT

Iceman: Green (5th saved)

I ended up throwing 60k iso into my 1/0/2 Gladiathor just to experiment in Support Circuit this morning whether I'd been missing out all this time on Thorkoye. Turns out that at 1 green, GRRR + Thorkoye is decidedly slower than Okoye/Medusa/Chavez (with ap boosts) on hard nodes. Thor is only gobbling 2 tiles, which doesn't have a high cascade potential nor does it help anybody else gather AP appreciably faster. Maybe I'll try it again 4 Valkyrie covers from now when he'll be at 2/0/2.

I waited until there was 18hrs left to start real McCoy, then pushed up to 650 and popped an 8hr shield. I was pretty easily able to climb the rest of the way to 900 this morning, but then I had to pop a 24hr shield to sit on those points. I'm not sure that was ultimately worth the HP expense, but I really wanted that Shuri. I may need to do a better job timing it so it fits within an 8hr + 3hr shield on the next one. 

This Hela release is kind of derailing the experiment some - since she is coming in early, I'll have 2 less weeks for Kingpin in Latest. I need to make a call on what to do next with regard to spending. if this release schedule is the new normal, and we don't get redundant feeders at the 4* level to compensate, then my resource production rate is going to be untenable for staying current for certain. At that point I'll really have to seriously consider going back to classic, hoarding straight up, or I suppose just quitting outright (as seems to be the trend lol).
    Seems the experiment will be effectively ending early with Fisk being pushed out sooner than expected. Any alterations to the game plan or are you staying the course until Hela is in tokens?
    I don't know to be honest - here are the things I'm considering:

• It wasn't a pure experiment from the get-go, since I ended up throwing around 10 draws at other stores across it, and now it's been cut short by 2 weeks
    • I don't actually want Kingpin now lol
    • I do actually want GE Doom
    • I already have a Captain Marvel, who is wildly un-impressive since I beat a team featuring a lvl 520 champion + lvl300+ Chavez handily in PVP a few times yesterday
    • I really want to get this Jessica Jones, and the reliable path to that is via chavez covers - if I stop spending into legendary stores, will that prolong the process, or will it not matter since an overwhelming number of my bonus 4* covers come from PVP tokens anyway?
    • Is "saving up" to pull right as Hela leaves even going to matter in regards to draw volume? Or will it be tantamount to just pulling as I go?
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,006 Chairperson of the Boards

I ended up throwing 60k iso into my 1/0/2 Gladiathor just to experiment in Support Circuit this morning whether I'd been missing out all this time on Thorkoye. Turns out that at 1 green, GRRR + Thorkoye is decidedly slower than Okoye/Medusa/Chavez (with ap boosts) on hard nodes. Thor is only gobbling 2 tiles, which doesn't have a high cascade potential nor does it help anybody else gather AP appreciably faster. Maybe I'll try it again 4 Valkyrie covers from now when he'll be at 2/0/2.
    I have a 2/0/2 Thor, and it's still not that impressive, unfortunately.
    edited March 27
    How good is your Okoye? That might also make a difference. I suppose I have the "luckiest" incomplete build for actually using her at 6/3/1 (+807/tuAP), though that is a very tragic build for trying to feed her to champ via Shuri since I have to go all the way to 360. With that kind of damage boost, it almost doesn't even matter what the inciting damage is after you have 10+ tuAP in the bank, though of course it's always better when it's higher. I also have a 4* Royal Talon Fighter at lvl 200 equipped to her, which I'm sure is doing some kind of thing.

I went back in and tried it with Chavez in place of Ghost Rider, and it actually worked much better - she benefits from any random AP acquisition more than most characters do and is doing nearly 5k base damage off of FnMg at level 301. her critical production also helps the cascade situation significantly. I suspect it would be even better with 3ap coming in from Thor. 

I got a couple CP draws yesterday between support circuit and The Hulk:

TA Hulk: Green (4th saved)
    Fury: Purple (5th saved)

I've missed loads of clears in Hulk from my traveling for GDC and just life and stuff, so I'm worried I'll be tapping like a fiend tomorrow just to make full progression lol. Guess we'll see.
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,006 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've got Okoye at 4/2/4, so she actually holds up her end reasonably well. I run her with Medusa sometimes and they get stuff done. Only 56 more Okoye covers, and I'll be able to champ her! ;)
    Cp from the hulk came through:

Kingpin: Blue (3/3/3)
    Sandman: Purple (283)
    Kingpin: Blue (4/3/3)

wasnt expecting Fi5k to rally like that; wonder if the experiment still has a chance?
    Got the Cp from real steel

4ocket: green (290)

Danver5: yellow (0/0/2)
    edited March 29
    Crash LT today:
    Sandman: Yellow (283)

I wasn't quite able to push up to 900 in Reel Steel. I got to about 825, then just ran out of viable characters and fell back down into the 700s. I threw up an 8hr shield to stay t100, probably wasn't worth the HP but oh well. I had some bad luck trying to take on high-point Gritty teams early and losing with a total party kill. Should have known better with an X-Man required character - it's too hard to clear out that many strikes on turn 1. I do think waiting till the last 12hrs or so is probably the move to get there. I have a max-champ Bulls3ye, so its as good a time as any to test how much, if at all, that will matter to my float point.
    Argh; Jessica Jones is about to be in HFH. I have 9cp. So I’m going to race to see if I can get up to 250 before that deal expires, and if not, I’ll throw it at latest all at once.
    I’m considering calling Kingpin a wash, and then just getting up to 250cp as my new “zero point” regardless of whether I can do it before JJ leaves HFH. That way I won’t get caught flat footed next time when it’s Okoye or whoever I need at the time.

Also - pretty hype for Bags 2 Riches. I totally forgot it was that time of year, and it’s entirely possible I’ll get the 6 covers from it I need to max out my Bagman
    I got the Hela token from Apocalypse, and ended up with an Agent Venom (7th saved) for my trouble. So I made the questionable life-choice to sell my max- champ Bulls3y3 after his pvp (I have a mostly built replacement on roster already) to get enough HP for a 10-pack in the Hela vault. I did not get the token, but ended up with a champ level for somebody or other worth an LT. Good for a

4* Lord: Purple (8th saved)

I then saw there was a new Kra-Van support, and I was able to throw hp at it. So i did. My free token got me a 1* Stepford Cuckoos, which is fine. The one I spent 525hp on got me a 2* Shuri's Lab. I hadn't had either, and both seem decent. So I took a look at what the Kra-Van actually does, and man, what a swing and a miss at actually helping Kraven out. the 5* perk of reducing match damage is actually great - his biggest problem is that he eats too much damage with no health. This thing is probably better on Bishop if it could be used on heroes. The Kraven synergy perk - whenever his countdown goes off it creates 2 strikes - is totally tone deaf. Kraven needs to be creating enemy stuff he can go to work on - he receives no special bonus for friendly specials. I'd rather have seen him get some sort of immunity to enemy strikes like BSSM has from this.

I did some matches in Bags 2 Riches, and organically pulled a bagman from one of them, and then got the lowest hanging bagman reward from progression. My bagman is now level 141. It will be so sad if I come out of this even with a 143 and don't get any from placement lol...

In other news, I'm up to 38cp, haven't gotten the 575 reward in there yet. I was waiting to climb it in earnest when i'd be able to pop a shield and hang on.I don't know that I'll get up to 250 in the next 3 days, but that in itself will be an interesting experiment.
    Got Bagman to 144, LT was good for:
    Punisher: Black (3rd saved, need a blue)
    today's Crash LT got me:
    GE Doom: Black (2/1/2) - I haven't seen a doom in PVP since his launch window, but I feel pretty strongly he's at least as good as GRRR if for no other reason than he has 2 heals. 

Got a 3* Lord lvl 227 from an Elite, LT was good for:
    XFDP: Black (8th saved)

I'm up to 64cp with which to chase this Jessica Jones HFH, I figure there is a reliable 50 more from various progression opportunities (haven't gotten to the DPvMPQ top rewards yet, it's 40 in SCL9 total, then the Hawk3y3 pvp) in the 1d 17h remaining on the deal. Dak3n, SWitch, and Torch are all within a cover or 3 of the 15cp reward, but even if i walk my BH around and go hard on chasing standard tokens in lightning rounds, I don't think it'll be enough. I do think I owe it to the thread to just spend as I go into latest till Kingpin leaves, but KP/GED/CD is a much lamer group of latest than GED/CD/Hela looks to be. The smart play is probably to just write Kingpin off, wait till he leaves, and chase Hela when she hits tokens - but I know if I read 14 pages of this thread, and in the last 12 days OP was like: "i gave up..." I'd feel pretty let down lol.
    edited April 3
    I ended up just pulling my cp in the face of the math not working out for HFH.

Wiccan: Blue (282)
    Drax: Red (3rd saved, need a black)

Time for some metrics: 

total pulls in Latest: 188
    total pulls into other stores than latest: 9 (3 in masked vengeance, 6 in favorite legends - only 1 of these non-latest pulls got me a 5*)

draws earned/day: 2.08 (including the non-latests)

Total 5* Pulls: 28
    total 5* bonus: 2 (these are additional to the 28 organic pulls)
    total 4* bonus: 11

5* builds since I began pulling:

Kitty Pryde: 2/2/0
    Cable: 1/4/5
    Kingpin: 4/3/3
    GE Doom: 2/1/2
    Danver5: 0/0/2