The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    got the 10cp from the off-season event

Mordo: Purple (282)

I somewhat controversially (to myself) moved my 4* bh to namor, since i'm 1 away from ST readiness (after i get his progression cover in the talos release event), and i'll be traveling across that release - figured the sure thing from ST is worth losing a single Chavez.
    edited March 12
    Support Circuit progression, some minor champ levels, and the DDQ cp today got me to 26cp

Kingpin: Black (1/2/3)

Definitely on a 5* streak, looking forward to being dry for the first two weeks of Carol hitting Latest as I try to get one for node access lol

I was able to hit 900pts in Women of Marvel without much trouble at all - I pushed up to around 4-500 after waiting a day to start, fell back to wherever, then later in the day I pushed up to 832 and popped a 3hr shield. Because of the boost list, I was actually hunting down Gritty teams that didn't include Bishop, since they were worth loads of points and boosted C4rol/Chavez with gho5t Rider in between was hitting very hard more quickly than usual. I managed to queue up a team worth 67 points, which would have put me at 899, and so i had a non-gritty team lined up worth 37. But as soon as I won that match, it seems that player had earned themselves another 3 or 4 points, and so I came out at 902. Popped a 24hr shield since it was 21hrs and some change left in the event. People definitely don't play as hard in the off-season, but I'll take that 4ocket champ level (287). At 10hr 44min left, a score of 902 has me at 21st place.
    I decided kind of at the last minute to green-check the support circuit to see how that went. It was pretty easy with 5* Lord/thano5/4ocket on all the easy nodes, then Okoye/Chavez/Medusa for the rest. I ended up finishing 42nd, which was good for 2 support tokens. It had been open for at least an hour yesterday before I started it, and i wasn't in any kind of hurry to actually finish the first round of clears, so this was a decidedly half-hearted attempt at placing - so I'm pretty happy that translated to t50.

Left where I was, I'd have been in the 201-500 bracket, and not gotten any further tokens. Don't worry, I didn't get anything good from them, but at least it let me know around where I'd fall if I did the bare minimum beyond progression. 

In other news, I'm VERY curious what the 4-3-2 pvp is going to be like. Will my MMR from ghost rider still have me up against max-champ 4*s, or will it adjust down and give me old school 4* matchmaking like I used to get?
    Hm, that’s good insight. I’m not sure it changes how I’m going to play though. I’m as close to a lone wolf player as the game allows. It wouldn’t surprise me if the trouble I’ve had hanging on to points lately is because I’m on somebody’s radar now for stuff like this.
    Decided to see if I can place for a Namor in the story; seems highly unlikely. I’m currently  in 30th place after initial clears on day 2.

got 10cp from combined arms with another 10 from story progression.

Kingpin: Blue (2/2/3)

Elite token this morning got me lvl 227 for D3adpool

LT:
    C4rol: Black (290)

LT:
    L4dy Thor: Red (280)

LT:
    Hobofist: Black (286)

I burned a bunch of my iso re-champing 2* Storm and Wolverine to get that last 100hp I needed to roster this dupe Iron Fist before he expired, so now all my max-champ 3*s have a dupe (but I'm kind of broke with just 45k iso and 30hp left over).

I started Combined Arms to see what that MMR would be like, and was able to push up to 700 something chasing the hp before I ran out of health. I fell back to 418, which is about my current float point in regular pvp, but a lot lower than it used to be still as a 4* player. I think my favorite 4/3/2 team I tried was P4nther/Spid3r-Man/Bull2eye, since you just flood the board with defense tiles and then laugh as every match does nonsensical damage after a couple turns.
    Hit full progression on hat with 20cp saved up. 
    Kraven: Blue (279)
    Frost: Black (279)

hit an LT champ level on Dak3n from a standard

Chavez: Red (299)
    Today’s crash token:
    4ocket: yellow
    Dadadadadadancehaaaaaaalllhornsound!!

Todays 2cp from DDQ put me at 26

kingpin: yellow (4*)

bonus

chavez #300

jessica Jones: Blue (4/2/3)

leveled her to 390
  • justsingjustsing Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Honestly, at this point, I think this experiment is at odds with your roster goals and is not worth continuing. Given how you're focused on getting better partners for GRRR in PVP, you really should switch to spending all your CP on Classics (better bang for your buck and also JJ, Okoye, etc. are all in Classics) and hoarding LTs to pull for the 5e when needed. 
    edited March 17
    I’m not sure I’d say it’s at odds - the point of the experiment is to see if I can cover 5s as they come out. Since none of them have feeders, I need to do something with my 4* bh anyhow. So I’m using it to grow a useful transitional 4* that feeds a 2nd tier meta 5 that’s within reach, and then casually bonusing a top tier 5 that is a little harder to feed (though possible now). 

I got a cp draw last night
    coulson: yellow (291)

champed Reed with 10 covers
    C4rol: Green (291)

Silver Surfer: blue (2/1/3)

Cp draw from story today

Cable: Yellow (1/4/5)

so there is the “10 covers and out of latest with no feeder” scenario already lol
  • justsingjustsing Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 17
    I’m not sure I’d say it’s at odds - the point of the experiment is to see if I can cover 5s as they come out. Since none of them have feeders, I need to do something with my 4* bh anyhow. So I’m using it to grow a useful transitional 4* that feeds a 2nd tier meta 5 that’s within reach, and then casually bonusing a top tier 5 that is a little harder to feed (though possible now). 

Your experiment made sense when you first started it as a 4* player. There was no urgency to finish any specific 5* at the time, so you could just see how things go. But since you've champed GRRR, PVP's become harder, and it seems like you've been focused on finding a good partner for him. You've been putting most of your ISO into leveling your 5*s instead of champing more 4*s (and getting more resources from those champ rewards). Continuing the experiment just for the sake of the experiment doesn't make sense to me and seems like an inefficient use of your CP. 
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    justsing said:

Your experiment made sense when you first started it as a 4* player. There was no urgency to finish any specific 5* at the time, so you could just see how things go. But since you've champed GRRR, PVP's become harder, and it seems like you've been focused on finding a good partner for him. You've been putting most of your ISO into leveling your 5*s instead of champing more 4*s (and getting more resources from those champ rewards). Continuing the experiment just for the sake of the experiment doesn't make sense to me and seems like an inefficient use of your CP. 
    To be fair, the experiment is almost over. Once Kingpin leaves then the conclusion will likely be that with his playstyle he is unable to cover latest 5s pulling as he goes. At that point, yeah he has a choice to make. Classics wouldn’t be a bad move going forward. I also like his idea of stockpiling CP/LT until Doom is set to leave and making a decision then on how realistic a chance he has to cover him. 

@ThaRoadWarrior, I think that if you were to simply hoard through every third character you could probably champ 2/3 pulling as you go. Like if you completely ignored Fisk and just stockpiled while he was in Latests, you might of had enough to get Doom/Carol and then skip whoever is next. I don’t be really know though. 
    Been traveling for work, so I haven’t been overly active. I didn’t manage to finish support circuit for the 10cp, but I did manage to t200 SCL9 for a black Talos not even having internet access one day. 

Had 50cp from that story
    noco: yellow (291)
    peggy: Blue (277)

ddq crash token
    Agent venom: Red (6th saved)

i appreciate the feedback on where this this all should go- I’ll for sure go until Kingpin leaves to see it through though.
    The thing about Classics is that chasing any given 5* that way is kind of not realistic. It's possible it would help my Bonus Quest for Jessica Jones by giving more opportunity to pull Chavez through draw volume, but it would still put me way behind the curve on new characters - even a 10-12 cover 5* is a feeder away from champable, while a 1 cover 5 is a roster slot and occasional node access. 

I'm hearing not awesome things about Carol, so it appears I've chosen one of the worst batches of characters on which to perform this experiment lol. I do think Doom would be better than nothing, with his true heal/bro heal. Honestly, i'm not sure I'd champ Kingpin even if i had the covers until i have a "good" one to go with him.
    15cp from ragnarok champ level

Moon Knight: Black (12th saved)

Bonus

America Chavez (lvl 301)
    Cp from Webbed Wonder and One Eye Open were good for 3 draws:

Bl4de: Green (2nd saved)
    ME Hulk: Purple (286)
    5* Kingpin: Black (2/3/3)
    Champed Teen Jean with 8 saved

punisher: green (5/5/2)
    Cp draw

flaptain: yellow (280)

4* Kingpin: Black (292)
    I was able to climb to 900 in the thor pvp, came up with enough cp for another draw

5* Carol: yellow (0/0/1)