The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 5,118 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crash LT:
    America Chavez; Red (297)

Keep those coming, RNGeezus
    Got some CP from champ levels and support circuit

TA Hulk: Black (3rd saved)

i got pretty lucky in the support circuit. First daily deal token was a support token good for an 3* Victorious. Then I got a Miles champ level, and a master token good for a 4* Quinnjet
    I made it up to 900 in a single push after waiting to start 21 Guns for a day or so. I mostly used Gho5t Rider/Chavez or Valkyrie with +2 AP boosts on all slots. If PVP were always like this, I’d be a lot better with it lol
    various champ levels and incidental node CP from story put me over 25 again

Bucky: Red (9th saved) - I might wait to champ him till I get at least one more, that way he'll come with a red Lumbercap
    10cp from story progression, another 10 from the Coulson pvp (not nearly as easy as War Machine even with a 289 Coulson)

X-23: Red (285)
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,997 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    There’s a bit of irony in your story, in that you transitioned and decided to see if you could cover characters pulling as you go.

But the transition has resulted in you getting less resources due to the difficulty of opponents you now face and being severely outgunned.

So you were likely more able to max cover 5s pulling as you go as a 4* player, than you are now as a 5* player who actually needs the covers to see any kind of meaningful roster growth. 

(At least in PVP)
    It's a little tough to evaluate that, actually. As a 4* Player, I could comfortably hit 900pts in about 19-24 wins, and I could float reliably at 650pts to make final pushes easier. Once I hit 900 un-shielded, I'd just walk away, and typically I'd fall back to my float point or a little less, around 580 maybe, and land in t100. Now, I just have to work a little more to hit 40 wins, and I tend to finish in the 500pt range based on how I time my final push. So all in all, I've maybe lost about 3-4 progression covers from just not having time or motivation to grind it out - the hard part is determining what the farming cost of maybe landing outside t100 in pvp has been. That was all pre-Gritty meta too, so I don't even know how I'd be doing against that anyway. I'd probably not be seeing them at the levels I see them now, but even so I didn't have a hard counter for it ready to go when it sprung up.

One other consolation prize for having to get 40 wins all the time is that I've gotten about 5 Bagmans in the last 2 weeks - he is up to 136 now. In fact, on win #40 in Right Hand Man, that Coulson champ level 290 came with a Bagman. LT was good for:

Hulkbuster: Black (284)

I'm now at 9cp. I think the biggest perceived impediment to my progress has been dumping iso into un-leveled 5*s like Jessica, Okoye, and Hawkeye to make partners for Robbie rather than champing new 4*s. Most of my covered 4*s have 7-11 saved covers, so a few of them are going to come with automatic 5*s or pairs of LTs once I can shift my iso-spend back onto them. 
    edited March 2019
    30cp from story
    wasp: Black (280)

eb venom: Black (3rd saved, need a yellow )
    edited March 2019
    Got a Sentry this morning worth 8cp

Cyclops: Blue

this is actually good, my 5/5/1 4clops has been stuck forever like that, so now once I get a few more covers for Blad3 to get that last red i need for Bl4de, I can work on 3clops to get that last blue out of him. After that, i'll just have Punishe4 (5/4/2), Drax (2/5/5), Carnage (5/5/2), and EB Venom (5/5/2) left waiting on covers with feeders, but Drax  is going to require some luck or a second Rock3t to get finished on purpose. 

Bishop (4/3/5), Namor (3/2/3), and Magik (0/2/2) would then need covers, and Ham (0/1/4) and Taskmaster (3/2/2) as well, though they being trophies aren't that big a deal.

I did a rough calculation of my 4* iso debt, rough because I aggregated a bunch of them that were a few trivial levels higher than their peers down to the more expensive amount - ie 94 and 90 just went in as 2 90s), and it came out to 11,096,684. Kind of a depressing figure, but oh well.

Switch champ level from the C4rol PVP was good for an LT

Nebula: Blue (5th saved)
    Crash LT was tough with a 209 Geenpool

Prof X: Purple good for 4cp 
    bonus 
    Chavez: Red (298)

domino: Red (279)
    10cp from story progression has me over 25 again

Cable: Green (1/4/4)

Really hoping for 1 more blue before he leaves latest, and also that he gets a feeder...
    edited March 2019
    Champed Bucky with 9 saved

LT: 
    thing: yellow (280)

GE Doom: Yellow (2/0/2)

bonus

Okoye: Yellow (6/3/1)

story token landed the LT

Sandman: green (281)
    I've not leveled Okoye from 375->390 after this new cover, but I feel like adding that third Team Up tile on yellow makes much more of a difference than I would have expected. Offensively, I'm kind of wishing I could add 9 like 2* ms marvel, but that would probably be terrible going up against Okoye on defense.
    Finished the Choas pve at SCL9, jumped me up to 51 cp

4clops: Blue (5/5/3 finally!)
    spider-gwen: purple (8th saved)
    got the 10cp from the off-season event

Mordo: Purple (282)

I somewhat controversially (to myself) moved my 4* bh to namor, since i'm 1 away from ST readiness (after i get his progression cover in the talos release event), and i'll be traveling across that release - figured the sure thing from ST is worth losing a single Chavez.
    edited March 2019
    Support Circuit progression, some minor champ levels, and the DDQ cp today got me to 26cp

Kingpin: Black (1/2/3)

Definitely on a 5* streak, looking forward to being dry for the first two weeks of Carol hitting Latest as I try to get one for node access lol

I was able to hit 900pts in Women of Marvel without much trouble at all - I pushed up to around 4-500 after waiting a day to start, fell back to wherever, then later in the day I pushed up to 832 and popped a 3hr shield. Because of the boost list, I was actually hunting down Gritty teams that didn't include Bishop, since they were worth loads of points and boosted C4rol/Chavez with gho5t Rider in between was hitting very hard more quickly than usual. I managed to queue up a team worth 67 points, which would have put me at 899, and so i had a non-gritty team lined up worth 37. But as soon as I won that match, it seems that player had earned themselves another 3 or 4 points, and so I came out at 902. Popped a 24hr shield since it was 21hrs and some change left in the event. People definitely don't play as hard in the off-season, but I'll take that 4ocket champ level (287). At 10hr 44min left, a score of 902 has me at 21st place.
    I decided kind of at the last minute to green-check the support circuit to see how that went. It was pretty easy with 5* Lord/thano5/4ocket on all the easy nodes, then Okoye/Chavez/Medusa for the rest. I ended up finishing 42nd, which was good for 2 support tokens. It had been open for at least an hour yesterday before I started it, and i wasn't in any kind of hurry to actually finish the first round of clears, so this was a decidedly half-hearted attempt at placing - so I'm pretty happy that translated to t50.

Left where I was, I'd have been in the 201-500 bracket, and not gotten any further tokens. Don't worry, I didn't get anything good from them, but at least it let me know around where I'd fall if I did the bare minimum beyond progression. 

In other news, I'm VERY curious what the 4-3-2 pvp is going to be like. Will my MMR from ghost rider still have me up against max-champ 4*s, or will it adjust down and give me old school 4* matchmaking like I used to get?
    Hm, that’s good insight. I’m not sure it changes how I’m going to play though. I’m as close to a lone wolf player as the game allows. It wouldn’t surprise me if the trouble I’ve had hanging on to points lately is because I’m on somebody’s radar now for stuff like this.
    Decided to see if I can place for a Namor in the story; seems highly unlikely. I’m currently  in 30th place after initial clears on day 2.

got 10cp from combined arms with another 10 from story progression.

Kingpin: Blue (2/2/3)