The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• BlackBoltRocksBlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,972 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quicksilver champ level got me an LT
    Jubilee: Purple - this makes her champable with one saved, game must have heard me saying how useless she was over on her thread...
    Haha Jubilee isn't useless. I wrote over in a thread about her (go check out Character Discussions) that i champed her recently for her PvP, and was pleasantly surprised at how decent she was. I used a 3/5/5 build, to maximise her Purple and get guaranteed AoE damage from her Green. Maybe it's also because I was using her with Okoye and jessica, so I had perfect coverage, plus Okoye boosting everyone's damage, but I enjoyed using Jubilee. She's not as bad as some people seem to think.
  • ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 5,117 Chairperson of the Boards
    lol, she's long been my least useful 4*, worse than Widow. Maybe I'll try her again and see
  • BlackBoltRocksBlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,972 Chairperson of the Boards
    least useful 4*
    That would be Emma.
    I don’t know, I liked Frost back when I could still run hilarious 4* teams. She was fun in between Shuri and P4nther on harder wave nodes. Maybe not as fun as Main Event, or even Flaptain, but still kind of fun.
    edited February 2019
    Crash LT got me:
    Shuri: Red (279)

The Shuri PVP will give me a saved Okoye Black if i can get there.
    edited February 2019
    the cp from the Shuri pvp got me to 32, threw it in the Favorite Legends vault for a Tean Jean: Green. 8th saved on her. I'm kind of feeling like spending into this vault isn't the move, probably would have been better off staying after Cable in Latest. Oh well, in for a command penny, in for a command pound...

I was able to push up to 830pts in Mother of Invention, at which point the only opponents I could que up were dual-champ Thorkoye and Gritty teams. Some of those teams were lvl 462 Okoye and 453 Thor, which is significantly higher leveled than my 452 Ghost Rider/375 Okoye team i was running. I popped a 3hr shield to see if the heat would die down and grow some health packs back.
    Single 5* MMR is very frustrating for the non-simulator PVP events. I've basically had to settle in to 40 wins if I want the 4* reward. I'm constantly out of health packs, because I need to heal all 3 characters every couple matches if I can't manage to keep Okoye out front tanking. I think I need to start experimenting with other slices, or other climb strategies, since the way I played as a 4* player isn't working at all.
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,997 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Single 5* MMR is very frustrating for the non-simulator PVP events. I've basically had to settle in to 40 wins if I want the 4* reward. I'm constantly out of health packs, because I need to heal all 3 characters every couple matches if I can't manage to keep Okoye out front tanking. I think I need to start experimenting with other slices, or other climb strategies, since the way I played as a 4* player isn't working at all.
    Yeah I wrote about this in my thread but true heal is my favorite mechanic in the game.  I rode the **** out of 2* Daken/ 3* Patch in those tiers where I had less character selection (which is once again the case in 5* land). 

I basically dont play play a team without a true-healing tank in PVP. Daredevil tanking for Kitty, Okoye tanking for Thor, and one day hopefully Doom tanking for whoever. The issue with Okoye is that without Thor passively snatching yellow off the board her heal can be slow and unreliable. With Thor she’s the best healer ever. Without him, it’s shaky at best. So I’m really hoping you are able to finish God while doing this experiment because having a really great tank champed will do wonders for your sustainability if you’re like me and actually like playing the game and want to do so with less limitations on when you can. 
    edited February 2019
    The move from 4* to 5* is so punishing. It really does feel like you can call it endgame since it takes so long to get another champ. When I went from 3-4, I did it with C4rol and Medusa, which at the time was probably very similar to having Kitty or Okoye as my first champ. I think having Gho5t Rider as my first 5* is kind of like having....I don't know, maybe Ghost 4ider as my 4* transition lol. I don't know what's going on, but I'm queing up Kitty teams with near max-champ 4ockets, and kitties way up in the 400s, one was even near 500 in the simulator. I'm pretty near the season 10-pack, I could grind it out in the simulator once some of my health bounces back.

i rechamped GSBW

Quake: Blue (10th saved)

I had 25vp from daily rewards today, and got another 25 from champ and sub rewards. Threw it in Favorite Legends for a P4nther and a Mockingbird.

also got that Shuri from 40 wins. Okoye from that makes her 6/2/1
    I got the cp from finishing Meet R&G, added to what I had laying around and various champ level stuff, i ended up with 2 draws in Latest. I'd probably have thrown them at Favorite, but it's closed now.

Shuri: Blue (lvl 281)
    Quake: Blue (11th saved)

This game really seems to want me to do something with Quake lately. She's been covered for awhile, but one of the ones I just never threw any more iso into than i needed to for a crash.

I hit the 10-pack for the pvp season, and it was decent. mostly 2*s, but I got a Wiccan and a bonus Chavez. She's up to 295. I did notice that even though I wasn't holding on to points very well, I was still finishing t100 with only 500 or so points. I only generally worry about that when i'm trying to get my season 10-pack, but it's interesting to notice the gap between t10, t20, and everyone else in slice 1.

I waited a day to start Blue Shift. My Quicksilver is decent at base level 239, I'm running him with Okoye/JJ, so I'm curious what that float point will ultimately be. I'm not that concerned about placing, but i like getting to 900 better than 40 wins for quality of life purposes
    edited February 2019
    I re-champed 3* Captain Marvel in advance of this PVP, it's not going to be fun with a baby champ I don't think, but maybe I'll be surprised with all her red generation as she gets destroyed lol.

G4mora: Black (289)

Then today I was able to get up over 25cp from DDQ and got the crash token

XFW: yellow (7th saved)
    Red Hulk: red (278)

I ended up climbing Blue Shift with Kamala Khan and Gho5t Rider, which was quite functional. I wasn't able to get to that Quake due to life and stuff, but using KK to keep loads of green on the board for Hell Ride actually worked out quite well. I may run that team on Red Shift and see if it still works. Rulk is a better green generator off that purple, but KK has the advantage of actually putting green on the board rather than just putting it in the bank. Maximizing his Red CDs actually does work pretty well for shaking the board up though.

I actually have a 3* vine now, since I've been a little strapped for HP lately. I now have a Spid3r-Man, Cag3, and Fist looking for a home as dupes in that order.
  • DAZ0273DAZ0273 Posts: 4,831 Chairperson of the Boards
    Boosted Quake was fun in Blue Shift as it meant not caring about the enemy Quicksilver getting to fire his AOE first as she just ate that up!

Quake has been one I've wanted to champ for ahwile, but since I've been largely letting Shield Training drive my iso spend, I just haven't had occasion to. 

These pvp events are some where I have the 3* up in the 240s, and it doesn't seem like it's helped a ton for floating. I've been really struggling with the Kingpin nodes in the Simulator PVE as well; I don't especially want to throw iso at KP with his current cover spread, but I can't even win on the 3rd clear of sub 3 against JJ/Kitty/Thanos
  • DAZ0273DAZ0273 Posts: 4,831 Chairperson of the Boards
    KP was quite tough to use with the boost list. I used Prof X so I could at least get some specials out there but more often than not ended up with more blue than I can actually use and I really hate giving away special tiles!
    finished the Simulator for 30cp

Miles: Red (277)
    Champed War Machine with 4 saved since he has a PvP coming up.

G4mora: Black (290)
    GE Doom: Yellow (1/0/2)
    I was able to re-champ 2* hawkeye with like 32 covers saved, and the Hawk3y3 covers from that put him into a 15cp champ level.

Shuri: Red (282)

I'm not chasing 5* Carol in her store; I wouldn't mind 5* Lord covers, and my 1/1/3 Surfer could surely benefit from a few more being nearly feedable, but the Favorite Legends store didn't treat me too well and I figure I'll at best get a single cover for somebody. 
    I was running GR:RR and 5* Hawkeye (1/5/3 lvl 315) in Fly Fight Win, and those 2 5*s pair very well. Hawkeye is pretty awesome actually, though I know he is very dated in his match damage. I can level mine to 390, which I may do after I get a few more 4*s champed.
    edited March 2019
    Hit the 10cp in Fly-Fight-Win

Kingpin: Black (1/1/3) - at this point I kind of wish they would all be Doom covers lol. It feels to me like the covers I get tend to clump up around the time one of them is leaving latest, and they tend to be for the NEXT character who is going to be out. Like I wasn't really getting Cable covers until after Kitty left and Doom had been out for a minute, then I got a big clump of Cable. Now that he is queued up to leave, will this signal the deluge of Kingpins coming out? Is there some pull-timing lesson to be learned from this bit of cognitive bias?
    Got up over 25 with the loose CP in come and Get Me.

iron spider: Blue

bonus
    Chavez: Red (296)

i got a tey at Galactic Heroes out of that event, landed a Frost champ level.