Hello D3 Go! Forum Users -

If you are still having trouble updating your birth date on your forum profile, then please follow the steps listed in the below discussion thread.

Please copy and paste this URL for details --> https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72653/new-forum-terms-of-service-steps-to-update-profile

It is very important that all users complete this process, otherwise they will unfortunately be unable to actively participate in the forum on their current account.

Thank you!

The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 2,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hit 900 in Hooked on a Feeling without shielding in 34 matches. Switched from taking on big point teams to just teams I could beat relatively quickly. I had to do it all in one push from down under 400pts, since I really can’t float anymore.  Got a Bag-man for my trouble. 
    Crash LT got me
    c4ge:Red (lvl 280)
    kraven:Black (2cp)

Currently have 15cp
    Just as a bonus 4* check in, I've gotten 8 America Chavez covers since 1/23. I seem to be earning 0.4 Chavez covers/day.

If this acquisition rate holds, I'm 167.5 days away from a fully covered Jessica Jones (discounting any 5* bonus heroes I might get along the way). Am I doing that math correctly? 67 covers needed divided by 0.4?
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 2,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also get 167.5 days from that calculation.
    Sounds like forever lol. Hopefully the experiment starts to show some results here in the meantime, so that I don't need to go half a year like this...
  • BlackBoltRocksBlackBoltRocks Posts: 2,279 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sounds like forever lol. Hopefully the experiment starts to show some results here in the meantime, so that I don't need to go half a year like this...
    Based on your current rate, I think you can be optimistic for Doom and Carol. Cable and Kingpin might have come a liiiiittle bit too soon for you, but Doom onwards should be more realistic (assuming, as always, RNG is kind).
    edited February 13
    I guess we’ll see. If I can get back to spending iso champing 4*s I’ll have an influx of LTs from the 27 I have fully covered. This event is real bad for me from an MMR standpoint - I have XFDP fully covered but lvl 94. 

Got the LT from the PVP vault,
    Kraven:Black (lvl 279)

got 10cp from progression
    Cable: Yellow (1/3/2)

i went up a shield rank to 128, and was able to get Bishop to 209. 40k iso leftover

My D3adpool is 222, he survives better but he isn’t as fun with Onoye lol.

i was starting to get hit at 200pts, definitely a new record low point
    edited February 14
    I got back up to 100k iso pretty quick somehow after getting Bishop to 209. I threw it into XFDP, and have been using him, Rogue (base lvl 292, so pretty helpful boosted), and Okoye (375) in PVP Matchmaking. This is a strong offense team, I haven't been running it long enough to see if it holds up defensively or not. 

Ran through Shield Training and got a Magick for my trouble, sold off my placeholder fully covered but unleveled Yelena rather than rostering her for hp. I'm actually interested in seeing how a champ Magick would play with GR:RR/Domino or TA Hulk at some point. The biggest drawback to Hell Ride (other than it not benefiting from Wakanda Forever!) is how the tiles burn the board dry, so characters that can shuffle them around or add edible colors to the board can really go a long way towards keeping it stoked.

2cp from DDQ got me enough to pull from latest.

Iceman: Green (4th saved, i need to champ that dude one of these days...)

Hit the LT in the Hearts of Darkness Vault

Iron Spider: Red (4th saved, I need to champ that dude one of these days...)

Got the 30cp out of Hearts of Darkness progression

Lockjaw: Blue (289)
    2cp from DDQ plus a bunch of incidental Strange Sights and 3* champ rewards had me back at 25cp this morning.

Kingpin: Green (1/0/3). He's starting to rally I guess, but still seems like a long hill to climb before he leaves
    latest. 

I also started a dupe for Bulls3ye, my only 3* max champ at the moment. I don't know that I regret flipping my 3* max champs across this time per se, but there is a huge difference in PVP between a baby champ and a max-champ, so i'd highly recommend to those of you out there getting 3*s to the top that you hang on to them if you can.
  • BigSoftieFFBigSoftieFF Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    Yup, a baby 3* is nothing but Thanos fodder to the folks climbing with big rosters. Are they scared of your 266 3*? 

No no but it’s human nature to fight the lowest one you see in my experience.
    That's exactly right - the psychology of that attacking player is going to be health pack and time management, so if my team takes 2 hits vs another that takes 1 hit to get through, they'll pick that other one unless i'm worth significantly more points. And if my heavy hitters are characters that take more than a turn to get moving, anything that lets that happen is going to help
    Had a bunch of Strange Sights tokens, one was a P4nther with bh Chavez, good for 6cp total to get me to 25. Got lvl 266 for Cag3 out of DDQ, and an LT from daily rewards (1108).

Ghost: Red (3rd saved)
    Prowler: Black (2nd saved)
    Namor: Black (2/1/2)
    30cp from strange sights progression

gwenpool: purple (8th saved)

sank 50k iso into EB Venom, crash LT got me

Medusa: purple (292)

managed to climb to 800pts at the tail end of the 4clops pvp, popped a shield to hold it so I can get my 10-pack for the season
    edited February 17
    3cp from a 2* daken champ level got me
    4clops: Red (7th saved on my 5/5/1)

somehow I don’t seem to be getting hit as badly on defense in this Magik pvp, but I’m still under 300pts.

im curious how the Shuri pvp will go, since it will be the first 4* pvp I’ll have a champ, and she is awesome boosted.
    edited February 18
    Today's DDQ got me lvl 266 for Spid3r-Man, so my 3* dupe farm is suddenly an hp pressure point. I went from none to 3 in the last couple weeks, and Iron Fist is 1 cover away. After that I think it'll be a little while.

Cable: Yellow (1/3/3) so technically feedable.

I'd love a few more before he taps out of Latest, ideally something that won't leave me needing all 6 covers off the eventual feeder.

RNG really is gonna RNG I guess, since I still only have 3 covers for Kingpin. I'm wondering if being progression-only means it'll be my lot in life to get every 5* into a feedable state, and never actually cover one completely? 

I started trickling iso into Jessica Jones yesterday, she's at 340 - I still need 105k to top her out at 375. Damning Evidence is now doing 3609 damage/trap (can't wait for more covers on that. 6 more chavez covers, and it'll start accruing 3ap on my strongest color rather than 2, but the damage stays the same). I pushed up to 850 in Disappearing Act last night, and came back today to 544pts. It would be rad if this were my actual float point, i'm not really sure if it is though. I'm at 28 wins. I lost a bunch on offense trying to fight some Kitty teams that were worth a lot, I really don't have a good solution to that team that I've found yet.

I think that the rest of my roster isn't appropriately leveled to support a single 5* champion. Based on the way I transitioned into the 4* tier by selling off half-built 3*s I didn't use to make room for them, my underlying base roster is pretty low-leveled compared to what I imagine other similar rosters have. I was also pretty ruthless selling off 3* max-champs around the anniversary to clear out those vaults a couple times. I'd have about 9 more max-champ 3*s hanging around had I not done so.

I think I'm approaching a tipping point with my 4* roster where a decent number of them will be viable when boosted, but with half the tier still unchamped, I'm likely to hit weeks where nobody is boosted. That might be working in my favor this week actually with only 2 boosted 4* champs, and keeping my MMR lower than it usually is...I'm not sure. Most of my champion 4*s are within a few covers either side of 280, with 5 of them up over 290 and a couple more about to get there.
    With Okoye boosted in The Hunt right now, i can attest that Okoye/Jessica Jones/Ghost Rider is a fun team. I'm walking through the 5e node with no trouble at all. I'm definitely going to continue chasing JJ first. Ghost Rider only benefits from Okoye on 2 powers, but he really facilitates JJ as well as benefitting from her AP generating ways.
    That was actually what I was thinking as well; I'm leaning towards spending CP as I go in classic, and sitting on LTs until new character releases and just rostering them for node access. Regardless, I'm going to continue all-in on Latest across the kingpin run and see how he feels closer to the end. And also if Doom continues to get an early lead, it might make sense. But i'm thinking that at 2 pulls/day, I'd basically need to have all my 5* draws be for the same character. I don't consider these pulls wasted, this was an experiment after all.

I don't see myself trying to place any time soon though, because I just don't like the timed grind. I've found during release events I can t100 in SCL9 in the 11pm EST slice by doing the first 4X clears reasonably near the sub open, then green check everything sometime around 3-4pm the next day, and then just walk away after 4x on the final sub, so maybe it's worth playing that way for awhile and see how it feels from a quality of life standpoint.
    edited February 19
    Support circuit CP got me over 25

nightcrawler: blue

standard token got me l266 for Fist

Cable: Yellow (1/3/4)

fingers crossed on big C I guess. If I can’t get him finished, a 3/3/4 would be a best case feeder expectation
    edited February 20
    i spent 25cp in that cool new store, figured it was worth it for a shot at Okoye even though my kitty and Thor are hopeless. I got a weak champ level for P4nther.

Ares got me an LT champ level for Ragnarok

X-23: Red (283)

i moved my 5* bh to Okoye. I figure that’s the smart move while I chase JJ via Chavez.