Another annoying 'who should I roster' question!

Darryncosta
Darryncosta Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
edited January 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi y'all and thanks for helping me out! First of all, I completely understand the concept that you shouldn't open tokens unless you have the roster space for someone new. Until now, I've found that taking the risk and opening Heroic Tokens has helped me with 2* rewards and training/champing more 3 stars...obviously got a string of 4s and taking a break from that at the moment.

Since I'm not too familiar with 4s (I'm in 3 star world at the moment) would appreciate your thoughts on who to keep, anyone I should pass over, and/or if I should dump a rostered one-cover 4* to make room for one of these. And here is my roster.

On the vine is:

Domino - black (1 day left)

Shuri - green (5d)

Lockjaw - blue (8d)

Cloak & Dagger - purple (9d) 

I currently have 1005 HP, so space to pick up that Domino (which I think is a good cover) but probably not enough time to get enough for Shuri...I might consider purchasing HP if you think it's worth it, but I also don't expect to actually use these covers in a long time (aside from DDQ and PVE required nodes). TIA!

//Removed 3rd Party Links -Brigby

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    you will always need more roster slots.  If your patient and really disciplined, its pretty easy to manage your hp needs,  you just have to be pragmatic about your goals and playstyle.  With that said,  this is the time to buy especially if a roster slot sale materializes.  Its probably one of the only times you get good long term value in this game.

At the end of the day none of the chars are top tier must roster chars, but eventually you'll need decently powered versions of all chars.

I'd but the slot now for domino, and wait 4 days for shuri's last day.  if the slot sale materializes,  I would buy some hp if you can afford it.  If you assume this game lasts another 52 weeks.  You can expect at least 26 new chars over the next year, so draw your own conclusions on the need for more slots
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Roster the one expiring the soonest, see if you either earn enough HP for another slot or buy some.

You should continue to open all tokens but LTs.  Save your CP obviously.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Domino is great and so is cloak and dagger. The other 2 are decent. I would echo the advice I'm seeing. Roster domino then just see how much hp you can get before the next character expires. You can always decide to sell off a one cover character to roster one that is better or complements your roster more.

There is a very good character ranking guide made by a user named jarvind. He has stopped updating it but it has good info on all but the last 7 or 8 4*s introduced.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I would sell Lockjaw right away. He's not worth worrying about. Domino is newest, so presumably will be required more often in pve events. Shuri is a 5* feeder so should be favored above Cloak and Dagger, although C&D is probably better. If you have a bad 1 cover 4*, I'd sacrifice it to save Shuri.
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2019
    Hi y'all and thanks for helping me out! First of all, I completely understand the concept that you shouldn't open tokens unless you have the roster space for someone new.

Not quite.  It is not a simple matter of "don't open tokens if you don't have the roster space" but a question of "what do I have to gain and what do I have to lose?".

For example, a new free-to-play player will quickly get to the point that they're at 30+ roster slots, which allows for a 1* Juggernaut (recommended), the thirteen non-Bagman 2*s, and an assortment of SELECT 3*s, a few SELECT 4*s, and possibly a 5* (not recommended).  But for the most part, that player won't be able to use those 3*s in practice as they don't have enough covers.

So at that point, a player needs to think - will they open tokens that can give 1*-3* and/or 2*-3* character covers?  Doing so, and gold-star favoriting a particular 3*, can help that player get key 3*s championed, particularly 3* Iron Man and 3* Doctor Strange.  This in turn lets a player participate for at least the progression prize in PvE SCL 7, where a player can find 4* covers.  (Mind for some PvEs Iron Man / Strange aren't quite enough, I'd recommend 3* Hawkeye sometimes but I digress).

Of course the player won't be able to roster assorted 4*s, so it may seem there's no rush.  But if a player is *carefully selecting* characters on their roster, even a new player may give some priority to collecting characters like 4* Medusa, 4* Rocket and Groot, and a few others, though I won't get into that now.  (For the most part I'd say newer players should stick with mostly collecting 1* Juggernaut, the thirteen non-Bagman 2*s, and 3*s, but there are exceptional 4*s they shouldn't pass up - since they will have the roster slots to afford to keep them on.)

So on the minus side, a player opening 1*-3* and 2*-3* tokens will lose out on character covers they need to sell due to insufficient roster space.  But on the plus side, the 3*s they're developing (in that particular situation) become usable assets that let them earn better prizes earlier.

Something similar happens early in the 3*-4* transition.  Opening tokens that may reward 2*-4* character covers may end up giving excess 3* and 4*s that a player can't afford to roster.  But getting a few extra covers on key 4*s at that point may make those 4*s usable, which can mean cutting real time spent on the game down.
      Rather than spending two to four hours a day at SCL 7, or a bit less than two hours a day at SCL 4, using 3*s, a few select characters let a player cut their investment of time down to an hour and a half to three hours at SCL 7, and probably just not playing SCL 4 any more because their 4*s are strong enough to reduce times and earn better rewards.

Mind Heroic tokens are not easy to come by en masse, so possibly discarding 4*s is a waste.  But it's something a player should at least *consider*.

Until now, I've found that taking the risk and opening Heroic Tokens has helped me with 2* rewards and training/champing more 3 stars...obviously got a string of 4s and taking a break from that at the moment.

Since I'm not too familiar with 4s (I'm in 3 star world at the moment) would appreciate your thoughts on who to keep, anyone I should pass over, and/or if I should dump a rostered one-cover 4* to make room for one of these. And here is my roster.

On the vine is:

Domino - black (1 day left)

Shuri - green (5d)

Lockjaw - blue (8d)

Cloak & Dagger - purple (9d) 

I currently have 1005 HP, so space to pick up that Domino (which I think is a good cover) but probably not enough time to get enough for Shuri...I might consider purchasing HP if you think it's worth it, but I also don't expect to actually use these covers in a long time (aside from DDQ and PVE required nodes). TIA!

//Removed 3rd Party Links -Brigby
    I'm not following those links.   o.O

Question is what rostered 4* you'd be dumping.  If it's good, you don't dump it.  But you didn't mention what 4*s you have.  So eh.

See if you can locate a schedule for what 4*s will be featured in upcoming events and/or Deadpool Daily Quest.  That doesn't mean you're trying to roster a powerful character, just that you're trying to earn better rewards with a disposable character; after you use it, you sell it and make room for a better character.

Typically you rotate characters in and out of your lineup.  This is for Essential Node characters for PvE SCL 7+ particularly, but also if you have covers expiring that you want to hold on to in case they come up for events.

Of those choices, I'd say Cloak and Dagger for the long term.  Domino works well in some combinations, but she's a bit too one-dimensional.  Lockjaw seems stupid but his ability to switch up powers makes him moderately useful, though I'd still hardly call him a powerhouse.