MPQ Winter Holidays Celebration! *Updated (12/31/18)

Options

Comments

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spider Ham seems like a missed opportunity for him to be a limited 3* that gives Spider Gwen covers since she has no feeder. Hopefully they have a way for people to get him after his release besides just putting him in the Anniversary vault and calling it a day. Was hoping that Daredevil would be in Kingpin's store so I could have a shot at getting more yellows for mine. Oh well.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 581 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby is this new limited Spiderham character Howard type limited or Devil Dino type limited? Will he be tied to a specific event or to Xmas in general? May we please know more about this?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Story dialogues in Alliance PvE? Is this a first? I don't remember reading any dialogues in Boss/Alliance events.

Spider-Ham looks disturbing to me. It could be due to his nose.

Finally, the Dr. Ock rework that everyone is asking for, but I doubt competitive players going to use him frequent enough.

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Doctor Octopus (Classic) - Character Rework
    Stay tuned for full rework details! 
    • Base Stats increased to align with current 5-Star characters
    • Overview of Ability Updates
      • blacktilepng Superior Science
        • Simplified stun mechanic
        • Slightly increased base ability cost
        • Ability cost lowers for every friendly Tentacle tile on the board
      • bluetilepng Tentacles
        • Creates Tentacle tiles passively, when making a Match-4 or greater, instead of on ability activation
        • Passive stun immunity, if a Tentacle tile exists, as opposed to 'auto-match when stunned'
      • greentilepng Cunning Scheme
        • Reduced ability cost for Phase 1 and 2
        • Repeater tile instead of Countdown tile
        • Cunning Scheme tiles now give a burst of health to friendly team upon reaching 0, or deal damage to enemy team when matched (heal and damage increases based on phase)

Why do I have a bad feeling about this rework...  His black did not need to be completely overhauled but now you increase the cost and it wont stun as it does now...  *sigh* Are you aware that his stun being "complex" was a good thing?

Does blue even do damage anymore?

• turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Xmas starts early! 

So much good stuff coming in game, I may buy from the Kingpin vault with my CP stash as would want all 3 5*s for the first time in quite a while 

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Options
    It all sounds good for the most part.

The goods:
    Glad to see Kingpin, but I’d have rather seen the Daredevil version (*hint* costumes *hint*)

Always glad for a new alliance event.  @Brigby Is this going to be a boss-style, places of power style, or something completely new?

Glad to see a bad 5* fix at least attempted. I hope it’s good and he at least becomes middle of the road. 

No mention of supports!  I hope it stays that way (unless the news is we give up lol)

The bads:
    Not thrilled about another limited. Is this the first time there have been two limited released in the same year?  He and Task Master we what, a month or two a part?  Hopefully this isn’t an attempt to fix dilution by making ever 2nd-4th character limited...

Sad there are no 5* feeders annnounced.  Maybe we’ll get a 12 days of Christmas where they add a new feeder everyday (I can hope right?)

Sad to see no Clash of the Mad Titan or equivalent. Hopefully it’s among the unannounced yet news. 

Sad to see no new costumes. Would have been a perfect chance for an ugly Christmas sweater or something like that. 

3/5 good but hoping for more. I’ve been a good boy right?  Wait... Don’t answer that!

• Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 581 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Brigby is this new limited Spiderham character Howard type limited or Devil Dino type limited? Will he be tied to a specific event or to Xmas in general? May we please know more about this?
    I've been told that Spider-Ham will be more along the lines of being a "Howard-type" Limited character.
    Thank you!
    One more question: as some alliances have to coordinate across quite a few time zones, when can we know more about the alliance event? It starts at the usual time, but will there be sub chapters or like side-missions every 8 hrs type of time constraints? Any info that helps us organize better would be appreciated.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:

• bluetilepng Tentacles
        • Creates Tentacle tiles passively, when making a Match-4 or greater, instead of on ability activation
        • Passive stun immunity, if a Tentacle tile exists, as opposed to 'auto-match when stunned'
        • Cunning Scheme tiles now give a burst of health to friendly team upon reaching 0, or deal damage to enemy team when matched (heal and damage increases based on phase)
    Why do I have a bad feeling about this rework...  His black did not need to be completely overhauled but now you increase the cost and it wont stun as it does now...  *sigh* Are you aware that his stun being "complex" was a good thing?

With no Tentacle tiles on the board, you're correct that his 'Superior Science' ability would cost 1 more than it does now. When there are 4 Tentacle tiles though, 'Superior Science' would cost only 7 AP!

His stun being simplified means that instead of it being "stun 1 turn, then continue stunning for 1 turn each turn," it stuns for a specified duration on initial ability activation.

And yes, his blue still does damage.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When I was in middle school in the early-mid eighties, I was irrationally obsessed with collecting Ghost Rider appearances, and so I had the first (only?) issue of Marvel Tails, which introduced Spider-Ham, Captain Americat, Hulk-Bunny, and of course Goose Rider.  I chuckled over that comic for ages, so I'm pleased as punch that Spider-Ham is coming to MPQ.

But we REALLY need to have Goose Rider in the game now, summoning the demons of Heck.  That's the best power ever.  HONK!
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:

• bluetilepng Tentacles

This rework is fine but doesn’t really make him any better.

at the end of the day.  Version 1 had a decent black stone, and his blue was slow to fire.  Green was point less to even cast.

version 2 doc Ock is similar.  Decent to good black.  Nonexistent blue and slightly easier to use green.

from my POV.   Nothing really changes.  If you need a decent black blue green outlet, then dock ock is comp to AA.

dock ock is a decent 3rd in sim, new foes or pvp where you have 3 5*.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Call me spider-Grinch!
    I agree with sinerjfl: I feel like this was a lame kitty "buff" ala 4* Kingpin
    Black: you could have just made it cheaper per tile without increasing base cost; there was no balancing that needed to be done. It just needed to be better. having it stun every turn was actually good as if you killed the character in front the next turn the stun mechanic would apply to the next in line: this was a good thing. None of the criticisms about his power set was that the wording was too vague and confusing. IF the stun duration is per tentacle tile on the board AND it's on a repeater THEN it could be a good mechanic but 11 AP for a vanilla stun is boring and I think makes him worse. Good stuns cost 6- bad stuns cost 7(best case)
    Blue: NERF! if he was stunned than you could be getting 4 automatches per turn. While it may be easier to put tentacles on the board (arguably M4s could be more rare during game than blue AP with batteries) they have less potential. They are like Storm tiles then? they do nothing until a second conditional power does a board state check against their number? you didn''t make anything better with this. is stun immunity something that makes the character relevant against Thor? Does Okoye have a stun that I don't know about? Is thanos making a comeback in PvP? or is Cable's stunlock really that good and Doc is the new counter?
    Green: Cheaper is better, getting some salvage from the CD leaving board is good IF IT IS MATCHED. "yay a cascade- D'oh match 4 wiped my CD but yay I got a Tentacle tile to make my stun cost the same as it would have been previously" 
    You didn't do much to make him relevant, I don't see where his damage went up, all this time for a rebalance and THIS is what ya'll came back with. uhm go back to ruining supports please we don't need these kind of "fixes"

4* Limited: does this mean you will remove taskmaster from Limited status or is this a thing now? Here we fixed dilution by throwing a stone in the bottom of the pool.
    Why not a 3*? Bag-man to Spider ham would have been too synergistic and sensible I suppose. 

5*Kingpin - Emma called she wants her expensive and slow powers back, wait wait...Batman the animated series called they want their art back.
     seriously 19 AP for damage mitigation is not good. assuming they let 8 AP in their strongest color build. If you could pick a tile and destroy it and up to 8 AP in that color it might have got some legs, or even if it destroyed up to 8 tiles in that color and gave a board shake/ Quake removal it would be better. or better did all three! It's like they heard that gambit's AP destruction was what made him so powerful and they said oh we'll make a really powerful character based around AP destruction. So they took the unreliable parts of Mordo and Nightcrawler but decided to  add a bunch of conditionals and weak special tile generation. A 5* counter for 4* America? 

I'm glad you did something special by theming PvP. Do they come with double iso or.....no? ohhhkay yay theme month!?! but nothing for Iron Spider - the one that needs a boost because of the whole newest character and needing to tank to synergize with the other two problem(he's probably not in the movie). The fanboi in me approves of tie-ins with other marvel properties because the movie looks cool. i'm gonna go there----------> Spiderverse got more tie-ins than Infinity War!

No snark on the vault=41 item vaults are good. my one free login gift gave me 2*(natch)Marvel but it was my 50th saved and that is always fun to insta-cycle the farm slot. Got a Nova from one of the Heroics and a 3* bonus from an elite. When Spider Ham drops please consider this format.

Even if the sinister 600 is just gonna be new cut scenes with old goons, I actually think the art department is doing what they can to spice up the game and I applaud them.  I will read my way through this first time and if it's funny like Webbed Wonder I will occasionally go back. there could be a lot more to new content than just more and more and more and more and more 4* characters. I appreciate the backgrounds from Places of Power and world maps. I like Alliance events and cheer something new to the rotation.

Keep up the good work devs! you can do better on your rebalances, and you gotta break the mold on this 4* release cycle but you make one kitty of a game and despite all the snark from on top of Grinch Mt. I hope you have a very merry holiday season and make 2019 the best yet!
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is great! I had kinda stop playing, but the reworks new 5 and new events plus potential actual new stuff has me motivated again.

Really hype for the reworks
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cool, a new alliance event?

Any further teasers? Will there be new goons?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Brigby - Do you know if Doc Ock will have increased sale price after his rework?

My son will be very excited about Spider-Ham in the game. Not quite sure how it happened, but he is almost as big a Marvel geek as I am.

• Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Or, @Brigby, any chance of special 5*-only tokens for selling back Doc Oc if you no longer want him, like we've seen with OML and Gambit in the past when their powers were changed?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Richyyy said:
    Or, @Brigby, any chance of special 5*-only tokens for selling back Doc Oc if you no longer want him, like we've seen with OML and Gambit in the past when their powers were changed?

That was pretty much what I asked, I just tried to not go straight for the cash grab.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not a fan of the limited characters as it just feel like a wasted roster spot. Not a bad start to Christmas though. If theres another 3 weeks like this then it will certainly top last years abysmal performance. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One of my guys that Loves to use Doc Ock, some might know who he is, HATES this buff.  In his words it makes it sound like it will take away some of his usefulness that he found with him.  Yes he isn’t OP and in fact lower tier but for some reason loves him.