Divine Visitation. Bug or Intentional? [Fixed in 3.2]

Options
Firinmahlazer
Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
The card reads

"Whenever a non-angel token creature would enter the battlefield under your control, create a Vigilant Angel token intstead."

The process happens like this. For the example I will use the casting of Legions Landing. The process is the same regardless of the token generator being used (Thoptor Spy Network, Queen's Commission, Emmara Soul of the Accord etc.)

Legions Landing is cast. Divine Visitation shows an animation hitting the board for -1. A Vigilant Angel token is created. A 1/1 vampire token is then created and immediately destroyed.

So if we look at the wording of the card the process that happens doesn't match the text because both tokens are being created. Both tokens count towards the Create 6 tokens objective. 

This also creates an issue of needing an empty creature slot. If the Angel token fills the 3rd slot it will allow a 1 time 4th slot to be created for the vampire token but after that you must have an empty slot for the original token to go just to be destroyed .

//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is being investigated.  The tokens also trigger "death" effects, which creates even more problems.
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The card reads

"Whenever a non-angel token creature would enter the battlefield under your control, create a Vigilant Angel token intstead."

The process happens like this. For the example I will use the casting of Legions Landing. The process is the same regardless of the token generator being used (Thoptor Spy Network, Queen's Commission, Emmara Soul of the Accord etc.)

Legions Landing is cast. Divine Visitation shows an animation hitting the board for -1. A Vigilant Angel token is created. A 1/1 vampire token is then created and immediately destroyed.

So if we look at the wording of the card the process that happens doesn't match the text because both tokens are being created. Both tokens count towards the Create 6 tokens objective. 

This also creates an issue of needing an empty creature slot. If the Angel token fills the 3rd slot it will allow a 1 time 4th slot to be created for the vampire token but after that you must have an empty slot for the original token to go just to be destroyed .

If you think that's bad, I just played someone who had Divine Visitation and Murder Investigation in the same deck. A creature died, Murder Investigation created a Soldier token, the Divine Visitation created an Angel token, then the Soldier token was destroyed. When that happened Murder Investigation was triggered (again) so it created ANOTHER Soldier token, Divine Visitation was triggered again creating another Angel token and destroying the new Soldier token, triggering MI again, etc. This created a loop effect that just kept going and going...

After about 20 or so iterations the Angel token was big enough to take me out during Greg's attack, so I tried to quit out of the game and froze it instead. I think this could be a problem...
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Throw in a card that deals damage on creature destruction and you've got an infinite loop that kills easily
  • BenRamaPhoenix
    BenRamaPhoenix Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Worse yet, DV in conjunction with Ajanis Last Stand results in an unstoppable infinite loop. This is a bad one. You'll immediately lose if you run into this. 
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dv, ajani last Stand, murder investigation and ball lightning for trolling in standard
    Add devil in legacy or use riddleform instead of red cards for full scale troll deck.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    https://youtu.be/cUIqJQNhBWc

Here’s the token loop in Greg’s hand. Murder Investigation with Divine Intervention. Version 3.1
  • TheDude1
    TheDude1 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I don't mean to pile on because I know the team is investigating, but there is a related issue with Path to Discovery.  With the current setup, neither the original token nor the angel token is triggering Path's effects. 

I can understand if it's supposed to be only the angel triggering, but the current structure makes it seem as though both should be triggering. If the original token is on the battlefield long enough to be functionally destroyed and count toward the secondaries as a destroyed creature, why not have it trigger the enter the battlefield effects as well?  Instead, there was no gem change, either when the original token appeared or when the angel replaced it.

Just another point to make sure the devs research all aspects of this card's function, so we get clarification on what is intended and what is truly a bug.
  • LordDorwin
    LordDorwin Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options
    https://youtu.be/cUIqJQNhBWc

Here’s the token loop in Greg’s hand. Murder Investigation with Divine Intervention. Version 3.1
    Yep. I checked that as I had a white deck with that combination saved in Training Grounds a while ago - I got rid of it after ticketing the thing.  I was wondering if you ran into mine(you didn't, which shows what a hassle this combination can potentially be - Murder Investigation is a common card.)

I can also say that yesterday's data push didn't fix it - there's still the weird killing effect happening.

From the text on the card, you'd expect the first token to act like a Leader card and absorb all incoming tokens with data adjustment.

Add that one to the long list of cards with frankly misleading descriptions.

I looked up the paper card, but that is completely different and doesn't clarify the situation (basically a 2-turn countdown to forced draw of match)

PS: Having Mistcaller on the battlefield might well stop this - it depends on what effect gets given priority, kill or exile.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi Everyone. This issue should be fixed in the upcoming 3.2 build.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    Brigby said:
    All of them? That's good news!
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

PS: Having Mistcaller on the battlefield might well stop this - it depends on what effect gets given priority, kill or exile.
    I play with mistcaller more than I should, lol. In my experience,  exile always occurs before destruction.  
  • Brigby
    Options
    Brigby said:
    The infinite loop should no longer occur in 3.2
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Brigby said:
    The infinite loop should no longer occur in 3.2
    Regarding the release notes - did they fix the card itself or only the named interactions? Because the release notes don't sound like the initial problem is fixed. I could be wrong, of course.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options

Can confirm it's fixed. Not only the specifically named interactions, but the card is now working as expected (doesn't require an extra spot for the to be replaced tokens) and smoothly.
  • TheDude1
    TheDude1 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yep, to clarify further after Laeuftbeidir, it no longer counts as destroying a token - tested with Elenda, who did not buff when the Angel tokens came into play (previously she would buff on each token destroyed).  Thank you for fixing this, it works great now!
  • Brigby
    Options
    @Laeuftbeidir @TheDude1 Fantastic. Thanks for the confirmation!
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    Brigby said:
    @Laeuftbeidir @TheDude1 Fantastic. Thanks for the confirmation!
    I
     must admit I was worried about the bug fix since the four different mentions in the bug notes never said the card would end up working as intended.. But this fix turned a rubbish card into a really good, smooth one. It was the first card I wanted from the pre release by the way. I'll now have a lot of fun with it.