*** Doctor Doom (Classic) ***

edited October 2016 in Character Details
(stat block added by moderator Nonce Equitaur)

[anchor=doctordoom3]Doctor Doom (Classic)[/anchor]
3 Star Rarity (Rare) Wiki link.
At Max Level: HP: 9690 Tile damage: 11/12/79/61/13/70
Summon Demons - Black 12 AP
Doctor Doom summons a cadre of demonic creatures, converting 3 basic Red tiles into Attack tiles of strength 44.
    Level 2: Attack tiles (demons) are strength 52. Level 3: Summons 4 demons. Level 4: Summons 5 demons. Level 5: Summons 6 demons of strength 60.
Max Level: Summons 6 demons of strength 190.
Technopathic Strike - Blue 9 AP
Doctor Doom lashes out with his sinister inventions, swaying the battle in his favor. Transforms 6 basic Blue tiles to Black tiles.
    Level 2: Transforms 7 tiles. Level 3: Transforms 8 tiles. Level 4: Transforms 9 tiles. Level 5: Transforms all basic Blue tiles.
Diabolical Plot - Purple 10 AP
Doom deals 137 to the enemy, plus 137 for each of Doom's Trap tiles on the board. Disarms all of Doom's Trap tiles. PASSIVE: At the beginning of each turn, Doom places a purpletile.png Trap tile.
    Level 2: Doom deals 164 damage plus 164 damage for each of his Traps. Level 3: Doom deals 192 damage plus 192 damage for each of his Traps. Level 4: Doom deals 247 damage plus 247 damage for each of his Traps. Level 5: Doom deals 356 damage plus 356 damage for each of his Traps.
Max Level: Doom deals 1131 damage plus 1131 damage for each of his Traps.

(original post follows)


Am I the only one who uses and loves this guy? Decent to high black and blue match damage, good hp. Blue generating black ap with technopathic strike. Summon demons for an added ~1200 damage every turn?

I've found him to fit in nicely as a third with Rags and whoever you synergize with
«13456720

Comments

  • NemekNemek Posts: 1,511
    I think the reason we don't see Doom/Hood/Magneto/Loki much is more of a lack of covers and not so much because people don't like them.

    At high levels, it seems like all of them (maybe not Loki) are actually very good.
  • Underated IMO, from what I've been reading in these forums. Summon Demons hurts. After getting hit for 4k+ every turn in a match against Doom, that was the turning point for me to realize that he was a good character. Whenever I fight Doom now, I make sure he doesn't get that move off.
  • Nemek wrote:
    I think the reason we don't see Doom/Hood/Magneto/Loki much is more of a lack of covers and not so much because people don't like them.

    At high levels, it seems like all of them (maybe not Loki) are actually very good.

    This makes sense. Hood however is much too squishy for my liking. Same with Widow. Magneto strikes a decent hp/damage/defense balance, and the less said about Loki the better. Stealing attack tiles is nice and all to counter a Wolvie or Daken, but his tile switching is so....random it irks me.
  • Underated IMO, from what I've been reading in these forums. Summon Demons hurts. After getting hit for 4k+ every turn in a match against Doom, that was the turning point for me to realize that he was a good character. Whenever I fight Doom now, I make sure he doesn't get that move off.

    Agreed, vastly underrated. Those 4k damage hits must have been during the boosted lightening rounds, yes? Still, the 1300 a turn is quite nasty.
  • _fulu_ wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    I think the reason we don't see Doom/Hood/Magneto/Loki much is more of a lack of covers and not so much because people don't like them.

    At high levels, it seems like all of them (maybe not Loki) are actually very good.

    This makes sense. Hood however is much too squishy for my liking. Same with Widow. Magneto strikes a decent hp/damage/defense balance, and the less said about Loki the better. Stealing attack tiles is nice and all to counter a Wolvie or Daken, but his tile switching is so....random it irks me.


    Loki can change the color of any tile with a color, attack, defense, timer, web...
    It's not reliable but I've saved web tiles and IM40's countdown tiles from being matched by changing the color. I think it costs too much for an ability that selects tiles at random, and changes them to random other color. 17% chance the tile stays the same color, so there's an 83% chance that a randomly selected tile will change color.

    I think the trickery skill needs AP reduced in exchange for randomly selecting X attack or defense tiles and making them your own. By the time I have enough AP to use the ability there are a lot of tiles to steal, but I've already been quite hurt.

    The cloak grants invisibility doesn't it? Would it not be unreasonable for The Hood to expect a chance of being missed? That's kinda powerful though, the opponent effectively loses a turn, and if an ability is used, you lose the AP for nothing.
  • yes doom is powerful, don't need others to fill his meter. like in comic, he's powerful enough to solo battle any character.
    sadly, hard to get his cover. mag 3s and doom is very good compared to hood
  • DormammuDormammu Posts: 3,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have any Doom covers, but I really want some. It's only a matter of time I suppose - I'm hoarding tokens and I think I may spend a couple real bucks next time there's a high-percentage Doom pack.

    Can someone tell me what his appeal is? What is an effective way to use his powers? Would he fit well with Ragnarok/Classic Magneto?
  • Dormammu wrote:
    I don't have any Doom covers, but I really want some. It's only a matter of time I suppose - I'm hoarding tokens and I think I may spend a couple real bucks next time there's a high-percentage Doom pack.

    Can someone tell me what his appeal is? What is an effective way to use his powers? Would he fit well with Ragnarok/Classic Magneto?

    Doom has a blue ability which converts all blue tiles to black. It supports his Black ability which at 5/5 creates 6 red demon tiles. Kinda like the modern storm hailstone tiles but it's only on red tiles, but instead of 7 damage, they do a whole lot more.

    I don't see that he would fit in well with either. you don't really want anyone messing with your red tiles. If you want blue protect tiles you need to collect blue for magneto. If you only want Magneto Purple they don't really clash.
  • same here.

    I always thought his ability is really sux until I play against him. (I rmb his level not high as well, i think it's 80+)
    His summon demon is really scary (Especially his ability are able to max in both colour - 6 demon at one go...crazy)

    within 3 turn of his summon demons i am already losing...which eventually i lost the match as well. (I rmb his summon deal 100+ each turn and i think it's only summon 4 tiles)

    Might consider putting him as my 3rd character if i can't get Ragn red card.
  • wow, just faced a high level dr doom and he was doing 800 damage PER TURN without me being able to clear the reds.

    wow.
  • I respect anyone running a high-level Dr. Doom.

    I still think he kind of sucks, but for the players who are really sticking it out with him and going for it, I have nothing but respect. icon_cool.gif

    From what I can tell, his black ability only converts *existing* red tiles into attack tiles...it does *not* seem to add new red tiles to the board/convert existing non-red tiles to red tiles. This is like Classic Spidey's blue ability, which is still incorrectly labeled as "creating a new webbed yellow tile," even though it does *not* create a new yellow tile, but only webs an existing one. icon_evil.gif

    If Doom's black has been changed to work like Venom's purple, which actually creates *new* green tiles/converts existing tiles of a different color to green and *then* webs them, then Doom sucks less than I thought. icon_razz.gif

    I still have issues with him making red attack tiles (instead of making attack tiles of any other color besides red) because that clashes with any of Doom's teammates that need red to do damage (Ragnarok, Thor, etc.). This is because with Doom's black, you *want* the red attack tiles to stay on the board as long as possible. You do *not* want to match them yourself. However, if you play Ragnarok or Thor, you *do* want to match red tiles, as many as possible, so you can have the red AP to power Thor's/Rag's damaging abilities.

    If you have a red damage character on your team with Doom, the obvious way to mitigate that seems to be using Iron Man Model 40 to generate red AP without matching red tiles, but that's not necessarily ideal or efficient. Also, that's your team...you're full up with 3 characters now.
    forgrim wrote:
    wow, just faced a high level dr doom and he was doing 800 damage PER TURN without me being able to clear the reds.

    wow.

    I mean...yeah, I guess. Presumably this is what the devs were going for with all the Loki/Moonstone/C. Magneto "randomly rearrange tiles on the board" abilities, to support keeping strike/attack tiles in play by letting you scramble the board so nobody can match them. The thing is, if you get anyone to a high level, they can do tons of damage.

    I've never had a Doom card of either color (tried very hard early on and kept coming up short) so I can't speak from personal experience...he just seems to have too many problems right now. Maybe not all of them are exclusive to just his abilities either...another thing is that black AP skills just kind of suck, and red strike/attack tiles also suck IMO...
  • someguy wrote:
    If Doom's black has been changed to work like Venom's purple, which actually creates *new* green tiles/converts existing tiles of a different color to green and *then* webs them, then Doom sucks less than I thought. icon_razz.gif

    That would most likely result in new tiles matching with already existing tiles and thus making some of Attacks tile to disappear right away, beating their purpose completely. IMO it works fine as it is now.
    someguy wrote:
    I still have issues with him making red attack tiles (instead of making attack tiles of any other color besides red) because that clashes with any of Doom's teammates that need red to do damage (Ragnarok, Thor, etc.). This is because with Doom's black, you *want* the red attack tiles to stay on the board as long as possible. You do *not* want to match them yourself. However, if you play Ragnarok or Thor, you *do* want to match red tiles, as many as possible, so you can have the red AP to power Thor's/Rag's damaging abilities.

    Make a team that does not need red AP on regular basis and there will be no need to make red matches. Yes, I know that main damage source for most of teams is currently red AP, but it will be good to see some diversity. Also, I am sure people who intend to use DD have already thought about it.
  • I'm glad he doesn't create new tiles. It would lead to easier matching of those attack tiles. As for Rags, no he doesn't synergize great, but they are complimentary. Load up red so early, use blue to feed your demons with technopathic strike, and then unleash hell. But IM 40 works much better then Rags. I've been doing anything I can to try and break out of the "normal" lineup of c.storm and Rag/Thor
  • Shikao wrote:
    Make a team that does not need red AP on regular basis and there will be no need to make red matches. Yes, I know that main damage source for most of teams is currently red AP, but it will be good to see some diversity. Also, I am sure people who intend to use DD have already thought about it.
    Moonstone seems like a good choice. Widow's red isn't so bad because you can use it to create cascades. Hood allows you to generate red by allowing tiles to build up instead of matching them.
  • I wonder if they will eventually throw in a third skill for him
  • Shikao wrote:
    Yes, I know that main damage source for most of teams is currently red AP, but it will be good to see some diversity. Also, I am sure people who intend to use DD have already thought about it.
    _fulu_ wrote:
    I'm glad he doesn't create new tiles. It would lead to easier matching of those attack tiles. As for Rags, no he doesn't synergize great, but they are complimentary. Load up red so early, use blue to feed your demons with technopathic strike, and then unleash hell. But IM 40 works much better then Rags. I've been doing anything I can to try and break out of the "normal" lineup of c.storm and Rag/Thor

    I hear both of you and I'm with you both…I'm all for more variety in the meta. Just not sure he's solid enough to be viable yet.
    ZzzWolph wrote:
    I wonder if they will eventually throw in a third skill for him

    He's Dr. Freaking Doom…one of the main players in the Dark Reign storyline. I mean, they updated Spidey.

    forgrim, what level was that Doom, 100+?
  • @someguy

    A level ~70 doom will hit for about 150 per strike tile. He puts out 6 tiles, so figure on around 900 a turn at full power. A level 100 is closer to 1200.
  • Bugpop wrote:
    Loki can change the color of any tile with a color, attack, defense, timer, web...
    It's not reliable but I've saved web tiles and IM40's countdown tiles from being matched by changing the color. I think it costs too much for an ability that selects tiles at random, and changes them to random other color. 17% chance the tile stays the same color, so there's an 83% chance that a randomly selected tile will change color. .

    Wait, really? I was under the impression "up to X tiles change their color" meant their color would ALWAYS be different. Then again... I've seen thor replace green tiles with green tiles many a time :[
  • If anyone cares, I just poked my head into the lightning rounds and got SPANKED by a high-level (85-ish?) Doom. icon_redface.gif

    I retract much (not all) of my earlier criticism about him having seen what he can become. If the intent was to have Doom be a character who sucks at low levels but blossoms into a monster when fully developed, I'd say mission accomplished.

    Doom is the only cover I don't have, and have never had. Maybe I'll try a bit harder to nab one, but I've found placing in the lightning rounds to be...challenging, so far.
  • someguy wrote:
    If anyone cares, I just poked my head into the lightning rounds and got SPANKED by a high-level (85-ish?) Doom. icon_redface.gif

    I retract much (not all) of my earlier criticism about him having seen what he can become. If the intent was to have Doom be a character who sucks at low levels but blossoms into a monster when fully developed, I'd say mission accomplished.

    Doom is the only cover I don't have, and have never had. Maybe I'll try a bit harder to nab one, but I've found placing in the lightning rounds to be...challenging, so far.

    Remember though, in all the lightning rounds, all the villains are getting a huge boost. High leveled Dooms are scary, but in the lightning rounds, they are monsters.
Sign In or Register to comment.