Oktagon - We warned you. You didn't listen.

Options
2»

Comments

• ManiiNames
    ManiiNames Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Version control.  GitHub.  Your friend and mine.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Yeah, I understand, but you're seeing the current state not the background processes... As of the last few patches there are a bunch more things that can be done on the fly without releasing a new build. NONE of these affect gameplay and would be largely invisible but they are clear longterm process improvements, 

What are you thinking of there? cos what i see is evidence of invisible changes which are no improvement on old stuff.

How is boss haelth in RotGP going negative the result of an improvement? It could sure have been the result of a change in code which was invisibly bad, but I dont think that the code they put in is better when the effects of it are so much visibly worse! guys,m write code that works!!

Haphazard bombardment is on it's third version now, and this one ignores enemy treasures to shoot my own nontoken suppots!!! Again, i see how they took something that didnt work, and went through an iterative process to change it, but how many times can you do that and still not have it work?! that's not changing things for the better, its just changing things.

And this 6 card hand limit thing which has messed up cards liek Etali? i can see it's a change, maybe it's a change to code that was bad, but i dont see that it's an improvement.

Making the ZvE event instead of getting GRN out on time makes me think somethign else is going on in the studio. Not slowly making the code better, like you think. But changing things for the sake of changing things, which, if you work in software, you will know its somethign easy for programmers to fall prey to!

Neither of us really know one way or the other whether secret code is getting better or worse but the evidence i see makes me think your faith is misplaced.

I had a list of non-gameplay examples that were cut out and things were taken back to solely gameplay concerns.

So we aren't having the same conversation at this point.

• Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options

And this 6 card hand limit thing which has messed up cards liek Etali?
    Some people are assuming 6 cards is meant to be the hand limit, and cards or effects which allow that to be exceeded are bugged.  Others assume that cards working as intended can take your hand size above 6.  Unfortunately, as far as I know, neither assumption has been contradicted by communication from D3 / Oktagon.
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Volrak said:

And this 6 card hand limit thing which has messed up cards liek Etali?
    Some people are assuming 6 cards is meant to be the hand limit, and cards or effects which allow that to be exceeded are bugged.  Others assume that cards working as intended can take your hand size above 6.  Unfortunately, as far as I know, neither assumption has been contradicted by communication from D3 / Oktagon.
    Up until now the way the current mechanics have worked seemed to suggest a 6 cards hand limit is in place as the "De-facto" rule. Supplementary, the last release from Oktagon suggests that they embrace this rule as well, namely:

"The player's hand will no longer contain seven or more cards, when activating an ability that moves a card to the player's hand while the player's hand is full."

We can clearly see here how the term "full hand" is associated with "seven or more cards" 
  • Skiglass6
    Skiglass6 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I thought that breaking the rules with cards was part of magic. 
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The main problem isn't the max hand, it's how the cards are stolen. You can see that the card is first added to the opponent's hand and THEN stolen and given mana.
    If they actually took the card from the top of the library and directly put it in the player's hand, THEN gave it mana... well, that would work better and actually make more sense (since the opponent isn't drawing it for you and saying, "here, take it").

I think there's a wee ounce (and I'm using that nicely) of lack of forethought on the lead Devs' hands and as I asked in the October Q&A, I think another look at impact analysis might be useful going forward..  Even if some of them are for long term process improvements.
  • ElimGarak
    ElimGarak Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    The distinction between "ownership" and "controller" isn't properly implemented. If, for example, one of your creatures gets stolen and ends up beeing controlled by your opponent, Nicol Bolas's first ability can't target and kill them. That, among others I fear, might be the underlying source of a lot of problems.