MPQ 5th Anniversary Celebration! *Updated (10/23/18)

Options

Comments

• mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    smkspy said:
    I think the big downer is TM being limited, once you read that bit everything else read is viewed critically.

Making a limited character, what? after two years, for a good character feels more like an April Fool's joke than a celebration. If they wanted a limited character should have held Jubilee or Dazzler in reserve for this.
    I said this in the Taskmaster thread:

I'm honestly shocked that there are so many Taskmaster fans out there. Outside of having maybe his trading card, I'm not sure I ever even read any comics that featured him, back when I was a kid or as an adult. I'm glad he's in the game, but I definitely see him as a solid candidate for a Limited / novelty character.

I am once again shocked! Dazzler, at least in her classic form, would definitely have been a candidate for a Limited / novelty character, but Jubilee is a way more legitimate character than Taskmaster — "legitimate" in this case meaning she's an official member of the X-Men, she's way more established in the lore, and she's been popular for decades in part due to the animated X-Men series. 
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Regarding the crop of 5* in Latest Legends:

Not my pick for top 3 (that would be Thor, Okoye, JJ,) but if you factor in PVE it makes sense.  OML is still probably one of the most useful 5*s across the board - his (almost) unrestricted self heal and strike tile generation makes him a good support character for lower level rosters.  Sure, his nerf took him down a peg, for the lower level rosters, but at this point... I dunno, he still seems very useful to the 3* and 4* players.  Dr. Strange's utility in PVE is completely unquestionable, and like I say above, I count JJ as one of the top 5* characters.

The fact that Thor is absent is odd.  Possibly it's because he was featured in a limited 5* pool (Loki's release) so recently, but of course OML was quite literally in the last one...

Anyway, I would not be surprised if this list is based on usage statistics - I suspect Dr. Strange and OML see a lot more use outside of PVP, particularly for those people with one or less full 5*s...

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GrimSkald said:

Not my pick for top 3 (that would be Thor, Okoye, JJ,) but if you factor in PVE it makes sense. 

I would sub Thanos for JJ personally, but it'd be close. Strange and OML actually being picked surprises me a little, but not much, they have their niches and fan bases.  I'm more surprised that JJ made it and not Okoyo, Thor, or Thanos.

I'm glad those aren't the 3 (JJ or Thanos) as I'd have all 3 champed and be much less interested in pulling.  Instead my OML is 11 & Strange is 10 so I have a reasonable shot to finish them with this store.  Pretty excited about that at a personal level.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Regarding OML, I use him loads in PVE because his heal means that Thanos cant kill him when doing clears. I suspect they'll be plenty other players that use him for that reason too. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is OML worth chasing if you have Daredevil and Okoye? I have both the latter max-covered and they have really good true heal along with being overall better characters.

While Thor missing is interesting, I know many who dread pulling more levels for him because they don't want him to tank.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is OML worth chasing if you have Daredevil and Okoye? I have both the latter max-covered and they have really good true heal along with being overall better characters.

While Thor missing is interesting, I know many who dread pulling more levels for him because they don't want him to tank.
    Not worth chasing OML if you have DD and Okoye.

DD's healing is stronger with free strike tiles that you can generate again and again.
    Okoye's healing is plenty good but not a passive.

OML only gets the upper hand on these two once he transforms but that requires lots of AP... 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    smkspy said:
    I think the big downer is TM being limited, once you read that bit everything else read is viewed critically.

Making a limited character, what? after two years, for a good character feels more like an April Fool's joke than a celebration. If they wanted a limited character should have held Jubilee or Dazzler in reserve for this.

I'm honestly shocked that there are so many Taskmaster fans out there. Outside of having maybe his trading card, I'm not sure I ever even read any comics that featured him, back when I was a kid or as an adult. I'm glad he's in the game, but I definitely see him as a solid candidate for a Limited / novelty character.

I am once again shocked! Dazzler, at least in her classic form, would definitely have been a candidate for a Limited / novelty character, but Jubilee is a way more legitimate character than Taskmaster — "legitimate" in this case meaning she's an official member of the X-Men, she's way more established in the lore, and she's been popular for decades in part due to the animated X-Men series. 

season with double iso for 2 weeks

I grew up reading Avengers and in particular George Perez run on the same where Taskmaster was first introduced. The thing that made me love him from the start was that he was the answer to a question I had always wondered - where did the bad guys get their flunkies from? Who trained those Hydra agents? The answer was The Taskmaster! Added to that, his abilities were perfect - he only had to witness a physical activity that was humanly possible and he could do it! There weren't many bad guys who could take on Cap but here was a guy who could not only sling a shield as hard as ol' Winghead but he could also fires arrows with Hawkeye's accuracy and fight with Iron Fist's skill. He could legitametly give Cap or Hawkeye a run for their money yet he was only human. The fact that he is also the villain in perhaps one of the most famous Avengers issues - the one that gave us the "Ant-man arrow" cover - so iconic they recreated it in Civil War, just makes me fonder still. 

As for Jubilee being a more legit character - well your mileage varies. Jubilee, to a Marvel fan of my age, represents everything that became horrible about the X-Men. Claremont distilled what he thought was "cool" and re-hashed Kitty, not realising that Kitty was a one-off. So, yeah, maybe Jubilee had greater exposure but I just wanted Kitty back.
  • nippy
    nippy Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2018
    Options
    YESSS.... free... health... packs!!!!  j/k.. happy thursday.. come nowwww
  • Nick441234
    edited October 2018
    Options

Daredevil is better. Sadly, I'm not in a position to have a perfect build Daredevil which is why I use OML. I dont really use OML for any of his powers, its purely someone that will stay alive without me having to use any health packs on him. 
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 581 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    Options
    1 free token, 1 free 3* cover - I mean, you’re all cheering like this is good.  They did more during antman & wasp release.

Congrats all;  the bar is so low, an essentially normal season with double iso for 2 weeks and an accelerated release schedule passes for a “celebration”

You know I was just thinking about the antman&wasp release too. Not even because we got a free 4* (antman) cover then, but because we had all those Growth Industry runs. There was like 3 in a row, for wasp, antman, and even the new Ghost!! I loved so many things happening all at once so much!
    And I remember thinking how great this all was for a new character. Getting that one cover had me rushing to the shield training, to complete the first individual node at the bottom, to get that 1 cp!! And of course having her meant having the essential 4* for the next pve events. This was at a time when I barely had any 4*s at all, and thus getting through a full progression was close to a miracle! Getting that cover from growth industry felt like I've been really given something, but also like I proper earned it, it wasn't just a handout.

It would be really nice if they ran a new growth industry (or two) now as well, alongside the other events in pve, for the limited characters. Both Devil Dino and this new Taskmaster. As they are both limited, an extra chance for a cover could only make people happy. And it wouldn't be just handed to people, but we could play for it, and earn it!  What better way to celebrate then by giving us chances to play more, earn more?!

For me, this is my first anniversary celebration and I've got to say, I am really disappointed about Devil Dino, and it not being in any pve. My roster is still not strong enough to achieve anything out of pvp, let alone a placement, and not having Devil Dino in pve at all as a reward is kind of a big letdown for me.
    Ever since I've gotten within waving distance of the 4* tier, I've wanted one (after all, all the cool kids have it, and it always seems enormous fun in the Hunt loaner), but of course it's an anniversary only thing.... And now I'm here and it's an anniversary, buuut unless I get really lucky and accidentally pull it out of a vault, I still won't even have a chance to earn it. :'(
    I'm not asking for handouts or free stuff or whatever. Just for a chance to earn these very very limited things. 

Devs, if you're reading this, it's not too late to sneak in a growth industry or two! Just saying.... ;)

Anyway, that alliance raid event looks good fun, and all other anniversary things that have been announced so far seem great. Looking forward to everything else! :)

And last but not least:

Have a very Happy Birthday MPQ!! <3 

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I never understood the "my roster isn't strong enough" argument. If my backup account with one champed 3* can get top placement in pvp then I'm pretty sure that yours can too. If you're in 3* land and pvp is too hard then run Cag3, Fist and Storm. There you go a Taskmaster cover from Shield Sim courtesy of your friendly neighborhood shardwick. You're welcome.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    As for Jubilee being a more legit character - well your mileage varies. Jubilee, to a Marvel fan of my age, represents everything that became horrible about the X-Men. Claremont distilled what he thought was "cool" and re-hashed Kitty, not realising that Kitty was a one-off. So, yeah, maybe Jubilee had greater exposure but I just wanted Kitty back.
    Are you sure your dismissal of Jubilee isn't just a generational thing?
    I agree that the two characters have very similar stories:
    • both introduced as young characters new to the X-Men.
    • surrogates for young readers
    • gradually earn the trust and friendship of the more established characters.
    • earned their place on the team
    Kitty Pryde might have done a great job at bringing in new readers, but once she was established she lost her value as a new reader surrogate.  So they go on to create a new one in Jubilee.  They've continued doing this over the years, but seem to prefer bringing in teams rather than individuals.  You had Generation X right after Jubilee, and more recently you've had the time displaced original X-Men.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    smkspy said:

I grew up reading Avengers and in particular George Perez run on the same where Taskmaster was first introduced. The thing that made me love him from the start was that he was the answer to a question I had always wondered - where did the bad guys get their flunkies from? Who trained those Hydra agents? The answer was The Taskmaster! Added to that, his abilities were perfect - he only had to witness a physical activity that was humanly possible and he could do it! There weren't many bad guys who could take on Cap but here was a guy who could not only sling a shield as hard as ol' Winghead but he could also fires arrows with Hawkeye's accuracy and fight with Iron Fist's skill. He could legitametly give Cap or Hawkeye a run for their money yet he was only human. The fact that he is also the villain in perhaps one of the most famous Avengers issues - the one that gave us the "Ant-man arrow" cover - so iconic they recreated it in Civil War, just makes me fonder still. 

Fair enough! I grew up with the X-Men cartoon so Jubilee never seemed like an unwelcome add-on to me. I read Spider-Man first, X-Men second, and then an assortment of whatever I could get my hands on. Avengers comics were never high on that list, which is why I never encountered Taskmaster as more than a trading card back then.
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Great Anniversary idea:
    Multiple Legendary Stores for a week!
    Store sets of 3 picks.
    Loki Thor Doc Ock
    JJ Parker Phoenix
    Okoye Panther Banner

You get the idea...
  • Nick441234
    Options
    It does seem really strange that Dino isn't featured more. I've had him since his release and I'm still 2 covers short of him being at 13. What is the point in having these limited characters if, when each anniversary comes round, you dont at least throw covers at us? Its the only time we are able to gain any covers at all!!! 
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    jamesh said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Are you sure your dismissal of Jubilee isn't just a generational thing?
    I agree that the two characters have very similar stories:
    • both introduced as young characters new to the X-Men.
    • surrogates for young readers
    • gradually earn the trust and friendship of the more established characters.
    • earned their place on the team
    Kitty Pryde might have done a great job at bringing in new readers, but once she was established she lost her value as a new reader surrogate.  So they go on to create a new one in Jubilee.  They've continued doing this over the years, but seem to prefer bringing in teams rather than individuals.  You had Generation X right after Jubilee, and more recently you've had the time displaced original X-Men.
    Maybe. When I think of Jubilee, I struggle to think of any significant or memorable storylines that feature her - I guess you could point to the first time she meets Wolverine but personally that story didn't make me care for Jubes herself. Also by then, Wolverine "sidekick" fatigue had started to set in - for a guy who was such a loner he sure did end up mentoring/partnering a bunch of people from Rogue to Kitty to Carol Danvers (even Katie Power!).

I do take your point about surrogates - after Kitty there was Illyana and then the New Mutants, so Jubilee is just another one in the production line but I always felt those other characters had a reason to exist and well, Jubilee really didn't until the X-Men became a cartoon and then she had her purpose as the "comedy relief". I hold her in the same reverence as Bishop's sister Shard otherwise though, sorry Jubilee fans.

That is just my opinion though.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    smkspy said:

Fair enough! I grew up with the X-Men cartoon so Jubilee never seemed like an unwelcome add-on to me. I read Spider-Man first, X-Men second, and then an assortment of whatever I could get my hands on. Avengers comics were never high on that list, which is why I never encountered Taskmaster as more than a trading card back then.
    Yeah, I completely understand and quite honestly if you had read Avengers in that time period then I doubt you would have ended up a fan anyway as it was pretty terrible! Jubilee is by far and wide the better known character, no question about it.

I appreciate that the boards can sometimes get filled up with a bunch of "fake outrage" on these things but I honestly can't think of a character released this year that I wouldn't trade into limited status as a swap for Taskmaster on my roster.

Still, it is what it is.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It does seem really strange that Dino isn't featured more. I've had him since his release and I'm still 2 covers short of him being at 13. What is the point in having these limited characters if, when each anniversary comes round, you dont at least throw covers at us? Its the only time we are able to gain any covers at all!!! 
    I would like to see something similar like they did for Howard. Limited toons to have their own event that gives a random cover each time around..