The First 10 Years Celebration! Final Week *Updated (8/30/18)

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *I can sense that the discussion thread is starting to get a bit heated, so I want to give a friendly reminder to please keep all comments civil and constructive. Thank you!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kinda baffles me that this isn't extended just one more week so that the final two IW-ish fives are each given a feeder. 

Especially considering these "celebration" vaults are probably decent money makers for them.

Why not just pull that band-aid already.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Brigby said:
    *I can sense that the discussion thread is starting to get a bit heated, so I want to give a friendly reminder to please keep all comments civil and constructive. Thank you!
    Hey Brigby,
    it does seem like a lot of the 5* feeders have been newer characters compared to older characters.  Would it be possible to get some insight from the devs on how they chose the 5* feeders?  It seem like Hulkbuster being an IM would be an ideal feeder as well as 4thor being a feeder for 5* Thor but neither of these characters were chosen.  We have had Valkyrie, Shuri, Black Panther, black widow all be chosen as 5* feeders over older 4*.  Any insight or explanation from the  devs would be appreciated 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know a lot of vets are wishing it was IMHB instead of WM.  And I understand wanting more covers.  But I am not a day 1 vet - yet a pretty high level player with 10 champ 5’s - and my WM was higher than my IMHB, even before I bonused WM when he looked like a feeder. 

Either way I’m probably only getting one 5IM cover since both are in the 290’s.  Maybe a major bonus luck streak will get me 2.

TLDR;  not everyone has the same luck or roster.  The devs have set up a feeder. Maybe someday IMHB will be updated and you’ll get 6 covers, but in the meantime, I’m glad to have another avenue to build my 5IM.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    Brigby said:
    Hey Brigby,
    it does seem like a lot of the 5* feeders have been newer characters compared to older characters.  Would it be possible to get some insight from the devs on how they chose the 5* feeders?  It seem like Hulkbuster being an IM would be an ideal feeder as well as 4thor being a feeder for 5* Thor but neither of these characters were chosen.  We have had Valkyrie, Shuri, Black Panther, black widow all be chosen as 5* feeders over older 4*.  Any insight or explanation from the  devs would be appreciated 
    Expect the same answers that have been given before.  Which are all variations of the same thing. 
    Silence.
    A direct negative. 
    Something along the lines of it's in their best interest to have players not able to predict what's coming next.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Its nothing to do with being a vet. Its avoiding choosing feeders that make sense because they know they'll have to hand out more covers that way. I'll get one 5* Iron Man cover whether it was War Machine or Hulkbuster so I'm not complaining because I'll gain more had it been Hulkbuster. I'm complaining cause its a cheap way to choose the feeders. 
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Well, my Shuri will probably get the 13th cover I need at leas to champion her, and a reason to add her as a bonus hero for Okoye. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Its nothing to do with being a vet. Its avoiding choosing feeders that make sense because they know they'll have to hand out more covers that way. I'll get one 5* Iron Man cover whether it was War Machine or Hulkbuster so I'm not complaining because I'll gain more had it been Hulkbuster. I'm complaining cause its a cheap way to choose the feeders. 
    You're mad that they won't be handing out more free covers when your own experience indicates that they won't actually be handing out more covers?

So you're complaining that it's a cheap way to choose feeders when you can't prove that this is how they're choosing feeders and all presented evidence doesn't even point to it being "cheap" in the first place?
  • smkspy
    edited August 2018
    bluewolf said:
    I know a lot of vets are wishing it was IMHB instead of WM.  And I understand wanting more covers.  But I am not a day 1 vet - yet a pretty high level player with 10 champ 5’s - and my WM was higher than my IMHB, even before I bonused WM when he looked like a feeder. 

Either way I’m probably only getting one 5IM cover since both are in the 290’s.  Maybe a major bonus luck streak will get me 2.

TLDR;  not everyone has the same luck or roster.  The devs have set up a feeder. Maybe someday IMHB will be updated and you’ll get 6 covers, but in the meantime, I’m glad to have another avenue to build my 5IM.

I'm in the same boat...but with 8 champed instead of 10. I think the beef is more either choosing newish characters or those very low priority fours that the masses (vets that aren't whales) were almost forced to champ last because meta characters took priority. (Ironic, that the who to champ guides actually have an impact upon this feature.)

A lot of those choices make sense for feeders (WM, WS), but they are definitely bottom of the barrel and because of that few 2-3 year (year 4 for me) vets have low level champs of them. 

Everyone is different of course, but I'm thinking that Mordo is the driving force behind people questioning devs feeder choices. IMO, they should just make him strange's feeder based on goodwill alone. Likewise HB for Banner, the worst of fives.
  • Nick441234
    edited August 2018
    JHawkInc said:
    You're mad that they won't be handing out more free covers when your own experience indicates that they won't actually be handing out more covers?

So you're complaining that it's a cheap way to choose feeders when you can't prove that this is how they're choosing feeders and all presented evidence doesn't even point to it being "cheap" in the first place?
    I'm complaining on behalf of all the players of the game. I dont only think of myself. 

The evidence is there too. Look at all the feeders and all the options that aren't the most obvious. The most obvious ones are all popular ones that the majority of players will have highly champed by now. 
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Or, just a pie in the sky idea, but seeing as all 2*s feed a 3*, and all 3*s feed a 4*, how about we just do a generalised group update and have all 4*s feed a 5*? And then it'd be easy to keep up, because they're still releasing two 4*s per 5* anyway, so the new ones just feed each other. Easy peasey.
  • Brigby
    wymtime said:
    Brigby said:
    Hey Brigby,
    I'm not 100% certain what the criteria are for 5-Star "feeders," but when it comes to the Iron Man (Mark XLVI), I would personally argue that it was rather appropriate for War Machine to reward Iron Man (Mark XLVI).

Since this celebration was focused around the MCU, it makes sense for War Machine to be the "feeder," since both War Machine and Iron Man (Mark XLVI) were in Captain America: Civil War; Iron Man (Hulkbuster) was not.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    My currently 4/2/4 Iron Man XLVI loves that he now has a 5* Feeder.  My WM is currently L290, so I'll get a red IM cover right off the bat, and that's great!  The other upside is I will have a guaranteed path to champ a 5*.  The downside is it'll take 30 WM covers.  Not sure, but I think the way I play, I don't see that happening for a year or so (even with Bonus Covers).  Still, that's better than the odds of me otherwise champing IM (or any other 5*) any time "soon(er)".  

How good of a character is IM XLVI?  I've not played him much.  Is he worthy of the effort?

Sadly my Shuri is only L274, so nothing any time soon from her, but I did get a yellow Okoye cover from the LT I got from DDQ today, which gave mine all her powers, now at 2/1/3.  So yay me!
  • smkspy
    edited August 2018
    Was thinking about this last night, if the 3(4?)x multiplier hadn't been removed from latest 12 I seriously doubt the blow back to making new character release feeders would be so prevalent.

I don't think the majority would even mind that much if they chose Wiccan (for example) to feed strange if the old rates still applied (yes some would obviously still complain). However, we'd at least have some small assurance that they would build faster and make feeder rewards actually feel like achievable goals at a reasonable pace.

So when people question picking new releases (yes, even if they make sense BW, BP, and even Shuri), the disappointment has to include their decision to make dilution 100% for the 70 four stars available.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    wymtime said:
    Brigby said:
    Hey Brigby,
    I'm not 100% certain what the criteria are for 5-Star "feeders," but when it comes to the Iron Man (Mark XLVI), I would personally argue that it was rather appropriate for War Machine to reward Iron Man (Mark XLVI).

Since this celebration was focused around the MCU, it makes sense for War Machine to be the "feeder," since both War Machine and Iron Man (Mark XLVI) were in Captain America: Civil War; Iron Man (Hulkbuster) was not.
    Thanks for responding.  I can see your point about WM and civil war.  Could you also still ask the devs about their thought process?
    also will the devs look to have multiple 4* feed into single 5*?  With a release of 4*, 4*, 5* there are significantly more 4* than 5* and if there were two 4* feeding one 5* it would also help progress.  Then you could have one newer 4* and one older 4* feeding the 5*.

thanks again
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    After a few years of so-so anniversaries etc, this 10 of marvel was pretty good imo. Good job, 
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    What's taking so long for data push today? 
  • Brigby
    wymtime said:
    Brigby said:

Thanks for responding.  I can see your point about WM and civil war.  Could you also still ask the devs about their thought process?
    also will the devs look to have multiple 4* feed into single 5*?  With a release of 4*, 4*, 5* there are significantly more 4* than 5* and if there were two 4* feeding one 5* it would also help progress.  Then you could have one newer 4* and one older 4* feeding the 5*.

thanks again
    Sure thing. I'll ping them about it, and see what info I can find.
  • nycjonny
    nycjonny Posts: 59 Match Maker
    @Brigby with Mordo and Strange being in the loading page can you surprise us with a fourth week... 
  • Nick441234
    I'd forgotten how truly awful War Machine is until I had to use him in Shield Training. His blue is OK, when you can eventually get it off, but his red and green are just woeful.