When is the next 4* feeder for 5* due?

Options

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes, they picked an older character. They also picked one of the least popular ones. Just as they did with Sandman. 

Lets start seeing them pick older 4*s who many people will have well into the 300's. 
    Like MEH and Bucky, you mean?
    MEH should be 320+ for a lot of people, thanks to vaulting.
    And Bucky should be 320+ simply for being around forever.
  • Steve111
    Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My MEH is 301 & Bucky 300 so they are on a par
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Yes, they picked an older character. They also picked one of the least popular ones. Just as they did with Sandman. 

Lets start seeing them pick older 4*s who many people will have well into the 300's. 
    Like MEH and Bucky, you mean?
    MEH should be 320+ for a lot of people, thanks to vaulting.
    And Bucky should be 320+ simply for being around forever.
    Bucky is still one of the least popular 4*s in the game. I cant believe many have him at 320. Mines been champed ages and he's still only 283. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Not sure how popularity of the character factors in, except for BH.  RNG is RNG.  If you got more of a bad character that bad character is probably higher level...  It's not like there's a whole lot of choice in who you go with (at least not till the saved cover feature).
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll said:

Not sure how popularity of the character factors in, except for BH.  RNG is RNG.  If you got more of a bad character that bad character is probably higher level...  It's not like there's a whole lot of choice in who you go with (at least not till the saved cover feature).
    Not if you are ISO-poor.  If you had several 4s that needed ISO, popularity and quality could be a factor in who to champ.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Right, and popularity and quality go hand in hand, pretty much.  I did champ Bucky fairly early in my 4 champing phase and he’s 304 now. Just because I had the covers for him, he’s nothing great.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can’t wait until they give a Cap Mar a feeder. That will be a massive cover explosion. 
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:

My point being he's going to be one of the 4*s you champ last. I'm sure theres many Bucky covers that were sold over the time he's been available compared to a lot of the more popular 4*s. 
  • The rockett
    Options
    broll said:

My point being he's going to be one of the 4*s you champ last. I'm sure theres many Bucky covers that were sold over the time he's been available compared to a lot of the more popular 4*s. 
    Bucky is very weak on the 4* tier even when he was released. 
  • broll
    edited August 2018
    Options
    broll said:

Champ last only applies in a situation where you have multiple characters ready to champ and not enough ISO.  If RNG gave you bucky as your first 13 cover long before anyone else, you probably champed him.  Some players might continue to burn cover after cover waiting on someone better, but from my experience most try and avoid cover waste and would champ them when they get a 14th even if aren't great, but mileage my vary.  Point is you're applying your playstyle onto if and how many covers you expect a character to have, but in general regardless of playstyle a character who has been out longer is more likely to have more covers simply based on a longer opportunity to gain.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So like Peggy, Gamora, Vulture, and Medusa? It's not like they're heavily avoiding the super popular 4's, either. 
  • The rockett
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    So like Peggy, Gamora, Vulture, and Medusa? It's not like they're heavily avoiding the super popular 4's, either. 
    True but Gam, Medusa and Vulture were the first ones they did.  
  • JHawkInc
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    The complaint is that they're picking unpopular characters. Which is just like the complaints that they're picking new characters. That they're cherry picking characters that'll give less 5* covers.

They've only done 16 of these. The fact that those three were the first ones does not change the fact that a quarter of the feeders chosen have been from extremely popular characters.

The reality is that the distribution of 4*s chosen as feeders has been pretty fair, all things considered.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I think it's quite obvious that as long as the 4* is not a feeder that can give them the most number of double-dip rewards (LT + 5* covers), they will come up with whatever reason to paint the devs in a negative light.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    JHawkInc said:
    The complaint is that they're picking unpopular characters. Which is just like the complaints that they're picking new characters. That they're cherry picking characters that'll give less 5* covers.

They've only done 16 of these. The fact that those three were the first ones does not change the fact that a quarter of the feeders chosen have been from extremely popular characters.

The reality is that the distribution of 4*s chosen as feeders has been pretty fair, all things considered.
    The fact they were early does matter. Its been trending downward. At launch it was 100% of the feeders were extremely popular. Like why was Jubilee chosen instead of Jean Grey?  I can't even champ Jubilee yet, and my phoenix is at 12 covers.  Vulture will actually help me cover Parker. If they aren't choosing popular characters anymore, the feeder system won't really help aside from getting that first one rostered.

All things considered, the feeder system is not very fair.  I don't know how many people have many max champed 4*s to actually use the feeders as a way to build a 5*.I would have much preferred the 4* feeder model, where multiple characters can give 3 covers instead of one giving 6. Or if several 4*s just gave 1 cover.

P.S. the typo in the title bugs me every time

• CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think it's quite obvious that as long as the 4* is not a feeder that can give them the most number of double-dip rewards (LT + 5* covers), they will come up with whatever reason to paint the devs in a negative light.
    So the veterans have an anti devs bias.  Sometimes justified, sometimes not.  Also quite obvious you for some reason have an anti veterans bias.  Whatever we say and however we say it, it hardly ever gets your seal of approval.

But back to the theme of more recent posts - there have been occasions where more obvious feeders have been passed over, and there are definitely instances where a different feeder would have been a lot more beneficial for me.  But at the end of the day I'm thankful 4* feeders are a thing and I'm getting extra covers I wouldn't have otherwise.  It's nice to absent-mindedly add a champ level to an otherwise irrelevant 4* and to finally be bestowed with, for example, my 13th Goblin cover.
  • broll
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Straycat said:
    JHawkInc said:
    JHawkInc said:

The fact they were early does matter. Its been trending downward. At launch it was 100% of the feeders were extremely popular. Like why was Jubilee chosen instead of Jean Grey?  I can't even champ Jubilee yet, and my phoenix is at 12 covers.  Vulture will actually help me cover Parker. If they aren't choosing popular characters anymore, the feeder system won't really help aside from getting that first one rostered.

All things considered, the feeder system is not very fair.  I don't know how many people have many max champed 4*s to actually use the feeders as a way to build a 5*.I would have much preferred the 4* feeder model, where multiple characters can give 3 covers instead of one giving 6. Or if several 4*s just gave 1 cover.

Won't help anyone or won't help you?  The 'unpopular' feeders are helping me just fine.  In fact for almost every feeder I've gotten 0 or 1 regardless of any of these categories so they are all equally helpful to me and I've been playing hardcore for 2.5 years.  So the only people this distinction really 'hurts' are very long time vets and/or people that were constantly T10+ during the eras of the character or character(s) in question's hayday.  So maybe 1-2% of the game populous.  

Downward trend, lol.  As JHawkInc said around 25% have been popular characters.  The fact that they were mostly upfront doesn't necessarily point to any trend.  This could have been their plan all along.  You don't know.  You're making wild accusations based circumstantial and unverifiable evidence. To paraphrase Gambit from the 90's X-Men show, 'That's the best kind of (theory), one can't nobody prove'

Also is it unpopular vs popular or old vs new?  It seems like people are flip flopping when it seems like the evidence doesn't support their current theory.  This started around Mordo, I don't think Mordo is a terribly popular character,in the game so why is he out of the running if it's popular vs unpopular?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I love it when people think sweeping design changes are made or not made based on the current state of any subset of the playerbase's roster lol. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll said:
    Straycat said:
    JHawkInc said:
    JHawkInc said:

Won't help anyone or won't help you?  The 'unpopular' feeders are helping me just fine.  In fact for almost every feeder I've gotten 0 or 1 regardless of any of these categories so they are all equally helpful to me and I've been playing hardcore for 2.5 years.  So the only people this distinction really 'hurts' are very long time vets and/or people that were constantly T10+ during the eras of the character or character(s) in question's hayday.  So maybe 1-2% of the game populous.  

Downward trend, lol.  As JHawkInc said around 25% have been popular characters.  The fact that they were mostly upfront doesn't necessarily point to any trend.  This could have been their plan all along.  You don't know.  You're making wild accusations based circumstantial and unverifiable evidence. To paraphrase Gambit from the 90's X-Men show, 'That's the best kind of (theory), one can't nobody prove'

Also is it unpopular vs popular or old vs new?  It seems like people are flip flopping when it seems like the evidence doesn't support their current theory.  This started around Mordo, I don't think Mordo is a terribly popular character,in the game so why is he out of the running if it's popular vs unpopular?
    How much are those 0 or 1 covers helping you exactly?
    Lol, it is a trend. They put out popular/ higher covered feeders, then they got newer/less popular. That is evidence. That is a trend. Whether its a coincidence or by design is a different story. But if we notice a trend, we can make a guess as their thought process.
  • JHawkInc
    Options
    Given that there are a limited number of super popular characters to begin with, isn't it destined to be a "downward trend" no matter what they do?

I'm glad they've not used some really popular 4's yet, because it's something to look forward to in the future. Whether it's dropping a RHulk in an otherwise dull stretch of news or saving Carol for the Captain Marvel movie.

Would you rather they have done more of the more popular 4*s now so that it was statistically doomed to "only get worse" as they add more feeders? (to be fair, some people probably want exactly that because of instant gratification and all that...)