Shuri or Nova, whom to champ?

Jarvis_Jackrabbit
Jarvis_Jackrabbit Posts: 78 Match Maker
edited June 2018 in Roster and Level Help
I'm more familiar with the way Nova's abilities work since he's been around so much longer, but Shuri looks like she could be a real bear on the right team. I have a cover on the vine for each of them and probably only enough ISO to champ one of them.

If you could choose one of these two characters, who would it be? Thanks in advance for any perspectives offered.

Comments

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    nova, he is faster and more versatile.

i love shuri, but she is slow - 8ap to get going, only a handful characters in the 4*tier who create fortified tiles.
    she is fun with reed and c4ge, but nova is just more effective with other strike generators and awesome with coulson and c4rol.

5* hawkeye fortifies tiles, there is a strong team with him, coulson and shuri I have no experience with..  
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nova. You'll thank yourself next time he's boosted.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe I'm biased because I have Nova champed and not Shuri, but I'd definitely select him.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed both relatively recently. Shuri has a couple of specific teams she works really well on, but Nova is a much better all-rounder. His Strikes can get out of control really fast, and being able to send someone Airborne is often helpful.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Shuri because she's still in latest.  Oh wait...
  • Jarvis_Jackrabbit
    Thanks, guys, it will definitely be a relief to have Nova champed finally, since I've already wasted five yellow covers waiting for a red or black.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have Shuri champed, with Nova sitting at 13 covers, so I'll be able to give you a better judgement whenever I get around to banking up that much iso (Peggy is also at 13, and I suspect she would kill with Shuri due to the stacked AP tax on enemy teams).

I really like Shuri personally, but she isn't a PVP deterrent without somebody much scarier on the team. I like to run her with Main Event, because he is such a wild card opponent. His powers are expensive, which Shuri can mitigate. He spams out fortified tiles on a different color than her that generate AP (and other stuff) every turn, and at the start of the turn he has good random match potential with Grand Entrance. then, you can get your Gamma Powerbomb to mega-nuke status when all those criticals start doing the Shuri bonus damage from fortifications. I'm still working on P4nther (4/4/4), but I suspect the three of them would be pretty wild. An alternative third might be 4* Lord to further reduce the cost of powers, or Peggy who can further increase the AP tax on the enemy powers right from the start of a match which should help you some banking up Red for Shuri to get started.
  • Jarvis_Jackrabbit
    Good stuff @TheRoadWarrior, thanks. 

I'm actually doing better on ISO than originally thought and have around 715,000 counting ripe 2*s and an SCL reward that's about to drop. Matters are complicated now by a Mr. F cover coming from a daily reward in three days.

Shuri: 6 days left on the vine and over 390,000 ISO needed to champ
    Nova: 10 days left on the vine and 313,000 ISO needed to champ
    Reed: 17 days left on the vine and 340,000 ISO needed to champ

How would this change your course of action? Reed and Shuri could play well together but Nova has generally been chosen here over Shuri.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited June 2018
    I think that's a question for the remainder of your roster to be honest. I only really play 4*s that are champed, so for me that is:
    G4mora, Coulson, Rogue, Vulture, Nico, Nightcrawler, C&D, Hobofist, Mordo, Kingpin, Yondu, Chavez, C4rol, Lockjaw, Sandman, Main Event, Medusa, Mockingbird, 4ocket, Shuri, Hulkbuster, and Thing.

The ONLY team I see running Mr F is Carnage/Medusa in simulator (obviously PVP isn't the end-all, but it's the only place to go to see other folks' teams), though I could see him adding value to a Shuri team. I know even less about who to put with Nova than that, though i do like him the times I've used him in his Crash/Burrito nodes or whatever. My Mr-F is 2/2/3 so I barely know what he even does.

I'm not sure my personal priorities are optimal, or reflective of the group though lol. For instance: I have 2 covers for Spider-Woman on the vine, and rather than try to save them I've chosen to champ 3 3*s this weekend because I want to finish off that tier before going any further with my 4*s (i have 6 3s left to champ now). My 2* farm is about to be down to just Bagman at champ so I need to start turning them back on. I have Peggy, Nova, Professor-X, and Spider-Woman waiting on iso, and I'll probably champ them in that order as I get it. I do have quite a few more at 12 covers, and assuming 13ths will come in, that may affect my order of champing. I definitely want Peggy next though. 

Hopefully that helps put my recommendations in context at least.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards

The ONLY team I see running Mr F is Carnage/Medusa in simulator (obviously PVP isn't the end-all, but it's the only place to go to see other folks' teams), though I could see him adding value to a Shuri team. I know even less about who to put with Nova than that, though i do like him the times I've used him in his Crash/Burrito nodes or whatever. My Mr-F is 2/2/3 so I barely know what he even does.
    He’s amazing with Shuri. I play that team time and again with ME Hulk (though I may try Widow for stun in 3 colors... and just to use my newest toy).  In Sim it’s a fun climbing team that sustains for awhile because usually the other team is stunlocked so you don’t take damage. Like all Shuri teams, the hardest part is getting the fortifieds to get her rolling. But, Reed’s Black and Blue make fortified tiles as does Shuri’s Red and ME’s Yellow. That’s 4/6 colors that you can chase to get you there. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I've completely discounted Widow in my head, but she does have that AP cost reduction power as well, which probably doesn't hurt this team
  • Jarvis_Jackrabbit
    edited June 2018
    I'm feeling inclined to be impetuous and champ Shuri while she and MEHulk are both boosted to get a feel for how she works, then see if I can manage to grind out enough ISO to champ Nova before he expires. If not, I can still champ Reed, who we've already established should work with Shuri.

Shuri is the only one of these three characters without a 3* feeder, and I don't have Strang3 or 3*BP max champed yet, so there is still a guaranteed cover coming for both them.
  • Jarvis_Jackrabbit
    Okay, I just champed Shuri and used her with MEHulk and St4rlord against Daken and a couple goons.

Her red only cost 3AP. It was ridiculous.
  • Dormammu
    If you have a champed Medusa and Carnage, you'll get more usage out of Mr. Fantastic than you will Nova - and I say that as a fan of what Nova can do. But Cardusa + Mr. F = Top Three 4-star team. The only team they can struggle against is Grocket + Guardian (I know, I know)  but they will eat any other 4-star team for breakfast.

The team is basically immortal and Mr. F can shut down Carnage's enemy attack tiles (Carnage's only downside).
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited June 2018
    What is a good Nova team? My general impression of him is that he's Proto-C4rol (in the way Kingpin is Proto-Coulson), and I probably wouldn't bring him out in place of her. Is that an accurate assessment, or am I totally wrong?
  • Jarvis_Jackrabbit
    I was thinking about trying Nova at 5/5/3 with C4rol and St4rlord so his red and yellow would be cheap and Carol would strengthen the strikes with Starlord's yellow and purple countdowns.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Nova/C4rol/coulson have  a decent amount of active overlap and no active green, but if you can spam out strikes with Nova with the accompanying free-ap from Coulson's little countdowns, and the buff you get off C4rol's passive, maybe that would be a cool team... 
  • Dormammu
    What is a good Nova team? My general impression of him is that he's Proto-C4rol (in the way Kingpin is Proto-Coulson), and I probably wouldn't bring him out in place of her. Is that an accurate assessment, or am I totally wrong?
    There isn't a specific team that I know of where Nova fits like a glove and enjoys a bunch of synergy with his teammates. Nova exists on an island and his powers synergize themselves, kind of like Hulkbuster. But when he's boosted his cheap powers start hitting like a full-speed freight train and all you have to do is feed him. Bring Cloak & Dagger to funnel him black and yellow, match red, and let him fly. I like to bring a blue/green user (like Cho or even Baglady) to cover those colors on a board that's bad for Nova.
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    While it may not be the best defensive team, I really enjoy Nova, Iceman, Prof X.  Since the powers across the board are cheap, Prof X puts out a bunch of tiles and then buffs them when invisible.  Not the best team, but definitely a fun team.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Dormammu said:
    ... I like to bring a blue/green user (like Cho or even Baglady) to cover those colors on a board that's bad for Nova.
    Lol, which one is Baglady?