2.7 Release Notes *Updated (5/23/18)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited May 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion

2.7 Release Notes

General

• Free Booster: Players now receive 3 free cards every 6 hours.
  • Added new UID button to start screen
    • Players will now be able to view their UID from the start screen, in case they are unable to load into the game.
  • Updated Events button with new icon
  • Added a Zoom option to view full card artwork
  • Dominaria will be added to Booster Crafting in the 2.7.1 update.

Dominaria Has Arrived!

60 years have passed since the Mending, and the world is finally healing from its wounds. With its arrival in Magic: the Gathering, Puzzle Quest, we see that 2 new Planeswalkers have emerged, along with 192 Dominaria cards. Not only do we see new cards and characters, but new events that illustrate Dominaria’s rich yet tempestuous history, as well.

Welcome home, Planeswalkers.

Standard Rotation

With Dominaria's arrival, the card sets within Standard will be changing. Amonkhet will no longer be in Standard, and Dominaria will be rotating in!

Teferi, Hero of Dominaria

After sacrificing his Planeswalker spark to save Dominaria from temporal rifts caused by his previous meddling, Teferi could no longer traverse the planes. Now, with his spark restored by his friend Jhoira, he is ready to confront the mistakes of his past. Mistakes that he is constantly reminded by the unnatural void that took his homeland's (Zhalfir) place in the plane.

Teferi will be available at the launch of 2.7, so be sure to check him out after the update!

*New Update*

Major Zhalfir’s Fate Token (4 Shield) - Whenever you draw a card, your opponent loses a reinforcement. If they can’t, they exile a creature. If they can’t, they exile a support. If they can’t, increase the cost of cards in their hand by 1.

Jaya Ballard

Jaya is a native of Dominaria whose skills, abilities, recklessness and impetuousness made her influence known to the Multiverse across generations. She founded Keral Keep, a pyromantic monastery in the plane Regatha, where Chandra Nalaar trained. After the Mending, she started aging normally, unlike Teferi and Karn, and is fully accepting of the fact she is at the end of a very long and productive life.

Jaya will be available in game at a later date, so keep an eye out for her arrival!

*New Update*

Major Professional Destruction Token (4 Shield) - Whenever you draw a spell, give it full mana, and create a copy of it.

New Mechanics

Saga Cards

Saga Cards are a new sub-type of Supports being introduced in Dominaria. When a Saga card enters the board, and at the beginning of your turn, read the current chapter and move to the next chapter. When you read the last chapter, destroy the Saga at the end of the turn. Whenever a Saga is reinforced, read the current chapter again without advancing to the next chapter.

Historic Cards

Cards considered to be Historic are Legendary cards, Artifacts and Sagas. Cards with a Historic effect trigger special abilities when a Historic card is played or while a Historic card is in play.

Yes, you heard right! Artifacts are coming to Magic: Puzzle Quest, and they are represented as another new sub-type for Supports.

Leader

When a creature with Leader enters the battlefield, it exiles all tokens you control with any of the given subtypes, and it’s reinforced for each token and token reinforcement it exiled.

New Events

A World Reborn - Coalition PVE

Board the Weatherlight with its new crew and go on a journey through the secrets of Dominaria. In each encounter, the Weatherlight and one of its crew members will be added to your hand. Try to use this helpful assistant to beat challenges and visit amazing places.

Similar to Avacyn’s Madness, this event is a sequential node challenge with 6 encounters divided into 2 great nodes. These encounters all focus on some of Dominaria’s iconic landscapes, inhabitants, and regions: Shiv, New Benalia, Llanowar, the Tolarian Academies, Urborg, and the Zhalfirin Void.

Each encounter has specific objectives that relate to the place where the event occurs. For example, The Zhalfirin Void features a special rule that pays tribute to an old MTG mechanic: Phasing.

Get your first experience of this epic adventure right after 2.7 launches.

A Journey Through History: The Long Cold Darkness - Single Player PVE

Experience the history of Dominaria by joining in its most memorable moments. In each of the 4 encounters, a card from Dominaria will be added to your hand every 4 turns. This card is directly related to that moment in Dominaria’s rich past.

Starting from the Ice Age and leading up to the Mending, the encounters in Journey Through History will allow you to experience each of the Ice Age’s important characters and moments: the Brother’s War, the Shard of the Twelve Worlds, The Balduvian and Kjeldoran Alliance, The Hordes of Lim-Dûl, and the World Spell.

Brace yourself and prepare for The Long Cold Darkness’s arrival in June.

Special Offers

Man the Weatherlight and recruit iconic characters with brand new Dominaria special offers - including Planeswalker and Historic themed bundles.

Balance Changes

• Llanowar Elves
    • Mana Cost: 10 -> 9
    • Power/Toughness: 2/2 -> 3/3
  • Howling Golem
    • Mana Cost: 14 -> 11
  • Jousting Lance
    • Mana Cost: 7 -> 10
  • Navigator's Compass
    • Mana Cost: 5 -> 9
  • Bloodtallow Candle
    • Mana Cost: 6 -> 9
  • Gilded Lotus
    • Mana Cost: 7 -> 9
    • Mana Bonus Increase: 2 -> 1

Bug Fixes

• Players will no longer encounter a crash when playing through the first encounter in Oath of the Gatewatch.
  • Player are no longer able to enter locked nodes in Trial of the Planes.
  • Huatli, Warrior Poet’s ability Sun Empire's Rage now activates correctly, even if the opponent does not control any creatures.
  • Grovetender Druid’s Rally ability now summons the correct Plant token.
  • The Support Card, Flusterstorm, now drains the correct amount of Mana.
  • Fixed an issue with Hexproof creatures, controlled by an effect that temporarily steals the enemy’s creature, continuing to be untargetable by the player.
  • The player's creature is now properly Exiled, when the opponent attacks with the player's creature after casting Act of Treason, while Settle the Wreckage is on the board.
  • Nissa, Sage Animist´s ability Nature's Regrowth now properly converts Loyalty gems to Green gems.
  • Fixed an issue with creatures failing to receive additional buffs when Bellowing Aegisaur takes damage.
  • Token creatures are now destroyed when targeted by Hostage Taker.
  • Swords to Plowshares now properly gains life equal to the exiled creature's total power.
  • Creatures are no longer enabled, when Hixus, Prison Warden is Destroyed, while Cast Out is on the gem board in Battle
  • Obelisk Spider’s ability no longer activates when it battles another creature, if Obelisk Spider has 0 power.
  • Gems converted by Lost Vale are now properly converted into only the player's Planeswalker's colors.
  • Players no longer encounter a soft lock during the Wolf of Devil’s Breach battle in Avacyn's Madness.
  • Unified Front now summons Kor Ally tokens correctly.
  • Liliana, Defiant Necromancer’s ability Grave Mist now correctly deals damage.
  • Geier Reach Bandit’s portrait is no longer missing in the event Avacyn’s Madness.
  • Fixed the Got It! button in Training - SOI.
  • The Aggressive and Artificer objectives will no longer increase when a Support transforms; only when a Support is played from the player’s hand.
  • Nicol Bolas’s level is now correctly displayed in HOU encounters.
  • Adjusted the background for the Colorless Planeswalker in the Battle Summary screen..
  • Angel's Tomb now only activates when the player casts a non-token creature.
  • The game will no longer soft lock when triggering an effect that requires counting the number of Supports in battle.
  • Fixed some Text Issues.

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "Free Booster: Players now receive 3 free cards every 6 hours" (not quoting to avoid large post)

YAY.  Thanks!

In general, I like this a lot.  The events seem fun and cool (and a new non-coalition PvE is awesome to have), the planeswalkers seem powerful and fun with (more or less) balanced mana gains, and there are a TON of bug fixes (although there are quite a few more that aren't shown here, unless its included in the text issues fix for incorrect wording instead of an incorrect effect)

Sagas are interesting, I will hold off judgement until I play with them a bit.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does this mean AM is coming back into rotation?
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Flusterstorm was broken?!? What's the correct amount of mana that was supposed to be drained? Hopefully, the card text was updated per the final bullet.

And someone please explain this in more detail:
    • Creatures now remain disabled until Cast Out is removed from the gem board

• GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Fixed text issues! Love it.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If ever supports needed to be self-degrading, those PW ultimates are it...   :worried:
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    James13 said:
    If ever supports needed to be self-degrading, those PW ultimates are it...   :worried:
    For real. That Jaya ultimate is bonkers on paper.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    Options
    James13 said:
    Now don't start that again! That's the last thing we need. No PW support should ever automatically lose shields no matter how powerful.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yes, can we please get clarification on this -- the only situation I know that affects Cast Out is when you run it with Hixus and Hixus pops -- and in that case, it should negate Cast Out. 
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wow! I’m really excited about the changes to the free booster packs. That’s great news and a huge quality of life improvement. 
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    Options
    James13 said:
    That Teferi ultimate after a River's Rebuke... yuck.

Very cool update. Thank you @Brigby

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the new cards being spoiled, especially some of these Leaders (interesting take on the limited battlefield MtG:PQ provides) and the Sagas.

It's also cool to see more single-player PvE events.

Is there a tentative release date?

Will the Mythic bundles be announced or will we have to guess which cards are the "Exclusives"?
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    Options
    @Brigby it would be nice if in these announcements you would explicitly say what is Standard. For instance, with the release of 2.7 AMK rotates out of Standard. Goodbye cycling! We know you all relied on it to win but good riddance.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bken1234 said:

Yes, can we please get clarification on this -- the only situation I know that affects Cast Out is when you run it with Hixus and Hixus pops -- and in that case, it should negate Cast Out. 
    This seems to be a functional change to Cast Out. My only thought is that things that enable a creature (Vizier of Tumbling Sands, Act of Heroism, etc.) will no longer override Cast Out's effect. Good thing it doesn't matter as much since Cast Out will no longer be in standard once this drops.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, that is a resolved bug list I quite impressed with! Same goes for getting rid of the one card boosters.

The new walkers look interesting. I like that the cm is at 9,i hope you'll stay there. Terefi will be very interesting to play with. The lady in red.. Will be a pain in the whatever as long as huf, hod and friends are standard legal. Depending on the Dom cards, she could even open the door for first burn strategies. The only thing I'm concerned about.. A new event directly after the update? That never went well in the past.
    I hope you prove me wrong!
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jtwood said:
    Flusterstorm was broken?!? What's the correct amount of mana that was supposed to be drained? Hopefully, the card text was updated per the final bullet.

I think it means that if something removes disable, like Hixus popping, the creature is still disabled by Cast Out, which is not currently the case (ie the support remains but the creature is permanently enabled
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Woops. I missed a key card in that description. Updated to show the following: 
    • Creatures are no longer enabled, when Hixus, Prison Warden is Destroyed, while Cast Out is on the gem board in Battle
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The lady in red.. Will be a pain in the whatever as long as huf, hod and friends are standard legal. Depending on the Dom cards, she could even open the door for first burn strategies. 
    She definitely seems super fun to play with, we don't really have a spells-matter planeswalker to play around with  (Origins Jace doesn't really count since the nerf).  And her ability names are amazing.

I agree though, red Burn Baby Burn decks are going to be downright filthy now.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Major Professional Destruction Token (4 Shield) - Whenever you draw a spell, give it full mana, and create a copy of it.

Wait just a minute here. This ultimate is absolutely insane. If any PW ultimate should lose shields after its effects occur, it's this one. How is this justified but Vraska's ultimate still loses a shield? You can just loop draw spells with the right setup of this!
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I did notice that you said

"Are Rare cards permanently removed from rewards moving forward? Why are some event rewards going down?
    No. Moving forward you will continue to see Rare boosters as rewards for events, as well as an increase in the Mana Runes gained." 

in the April Q&A.  Any news on this?  Also, thanks a ton for the notes and info... gives us something to chat about while we wait.
  • Igemon
    Igemon Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    What's the situation with the most annoying bugs?
    I mean:
    1) The Enable bug when game softlocks after some disabled creature is enabled
    2) The Almighty SWW error
    New content is cool but critical bugs goes first in my book.