PvP Brackets and Leveling 5*s

TeeTee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
How exactly does the game decide which bracket you get put in?

Early on I was told, after I had already leveled my 5* Old Man, that leveling a 5* will put you at a much higher bracket in PvP but adding them to your roster them was fine. As long as they're at their base level, you can add covers and still be in the lower brackets. Looking through my Alliance, I've noticed a lot of 270/285 5*s and want to know how much of that is still true today.

Does keeping a 5* at base level, even when covered, keep your PvP bracket the same?
How much is leveling a 5* too far? Will a single level put you over?

(If this is the wrong area for this, feel free to move it. I was either going to post it here or the roster help section.)

Comments

• Rod5Rod5 Posts: 447 Mover and Shaker
    Your roster does not determine your bracket, it only helps determine who you will fight. 

Brackets are only determined by when you join an event.
  • TeeTee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    More talking about brackets in the sense of the the group of opponents you will face based on your roster.
    I don't really know what other term to use for it.
  • Sky ElfSky Elf Age Unconfirmed Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    My understanding is that they calculate PVP opponents based on your highest level characters.  If you want your 5* characters to not affect your opponents, I would recommend keeping their level below that of your powered up characters.
  • QuebbsterQuebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tee said:
    More talking about brackets in the sense of the the group of opponents you will face based on your roster.
    I don't really know what other term to use for it.
    I think the in-game term is MMR - MatchMaking Rating.
    But yes, it only determines who you are matched against, not what bracket you are placed in.
  • Rhadamanthus23Rhadamanthus23 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Ok, but... forget "brackets". I'm champing 4*s, and have put some iso into 5*s as needed when 5E nodes get rough in PvE. But, when playing PVP...

What level of 5* puts you into a higher MMR? Is it only after your champ your first 5*, or is there a set (or 'close to' number)? Is there just one point where it changes, or more than one?

Just wondering if I should focus on champing my 4*s, keep my 5*s un-champed for a while to keep PvP easier... or if there's a level (400? 450? something else) where I should stop putting iso into my 5*s to keep MMR from making things harder.
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,265 Chairperson of the Boards
    The general rule I see is don't level your 5* past where your 4* are when boosted. If you only have a few 4* champs, that might still leave you in a bad place during weeks where none of your champs are boosted, but once you're fairly solidly in 4* land, it's safe.