Sorceress Spyglass not working [Investigating]

Options
manabanana
manabanana Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
I had this support out, it had one shield, opponent used an ability anyway, then destroyed it through a green swap afterward. You can see it happen in the battle log

//Censored In-Game Player Name -Brigby
//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• dj55
    dj55 Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm having the same issue right now. I have the spyglass out against a Nicol Bolas, yet he can still use his first ability to destroy my creatures. In this battle he's already done it four times while the support was in play. 
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This appears to be working. 
  • gillkonam
    gillkonam Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm getting the same thing, but ironically it's like one ability can be used, two can't. Very frustrating.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can anybody provide more info?

I've been testing this against all planeswalkers and it appears to be working fine. It is 100% preventing enemy Bolas from using any of his abilities.
  • DrHibbert
    DrHibbert Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I played against Kiora in TG and she cast her first ability on back-to-back turns with spyglass out there.
  • Ironwolf
    Ironwolf Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options

I think there is a bug for this card.  It is not halting Territorial Gorger in the Fateful Showdown Event from using its loyalty ability to disable my first creature.  It worked on other loyalty abilities, but is not in this case.  The shield counts down at the end of my turn, but Territorial Gorger will still disable my first creature.

Am I missing something?

This is quite the unusual effect for a card, really interesting and unique as far as I know.  I would expect there may be hiccups.

• Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The bug has already been reported, there's a topic on it in the bug section of the forum. ;)
  • Ironwolf
    Ironwolf Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Doh.  Sorry - I searched the forum first, I swear!  Must have been in the wrong forum.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options

Hi Everyone. I'm compiling a comprehensive list of all Ixalan bug reports to be sent to the development team today. I will be sure to include this issue on that list as well. Thanks for the info!

• Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    the card does not work against bola first abilty. it works against kith and Kiowa so far
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We have verified the behavior of the Sorcerous Spyglass and it is correct compared to the text.
    If the reported problem happens in any specific situation, please, describe how it occurs so we can review it.
  • DrHibbert
    Options
    DrHibbert said:
    I played against Kiora in TG and she cast her first ability on back-to-back turns with spyglass out there.

As I mentioned, the reported problem happened in this specific situation.

On consecutive turns against a level 60 Kiora deck in the training grounds, she successfully activated her first loyalty ability to steal 6 mana from my planeswalker.  This was while I had Sorcerous Spyglass on the board, and according to that card's text Kiora should not have been able to activate any loyalty ability. If memory serves, Sorcerous Spyglass had two shields when it happened the first time, and one shield remaining when it happened again on the next turn. I do not recall for certain if she had enough loyalty to cast an ability when Spyglass was first played (and still had 3 shields), but I'm thinking she did not.
  • DrHibbert
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I was able to reproduce the bug in Training Grounds just now, this time against Nissa, Steward of Elements.  In what might not be a coincidence, Nissa did not have enough loyalty to activate an ability when I first played Spyglass, but she did have enough loyalty on her next turn, at which time she activated Harness.  Here's the relevant part of the battle log where she uses the ability at the beginning of the turn, and Spyglass triggers at the end of the same turn:

So the turn sequence went like this:

Turn 33 I cast Spyglass.
    Turn 34 Nissa does not have enough loyalty to activate first ability, but gains enough loyalty to do so next turn. Spyglass drops to 2 shields.
    Turn 35 Normal turn.
    Turn 36 (Shown above) Nissa activates her first loyalty ability, Harness. Spyglass drops to 1 shield.
    Turn 37 I'm staring at Spyglass still on the board.