Can I get the peak progression award with only one essential character?

Looking at what might be the next event after the current Venom Bomb, it seems as though the three essential characters will be 2* Bullseye, 3* Daken, and 4* Kate Bishop.

I do not have the Daken or Kate Bishop characters, nor do I really want them.  If I understand correctly, it's possible to get all the progression rewards with 6 clears of every node when you have just two characters, and with 4 clears of every node when you have all three.

I'm curious whether it's mathematically possible to get all rewards if you have only one essential.  I'd rather not waste the time grinding for 17 Command Points in SCL5 if it cannot be done.

Comments

• brollbroll Posts: 4,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think your estimates are a little off.
    It's 5 clears required if you only have 2* 3* & 4* essential but no 5*
    It's 4 clears required if you have all essentials including 5*.
    If you don't have the 3*, 4*, or 5* essential I'd be shocked if it were possible, even with optimal 7 clears of all other nodes, but I haven't tired to figure that out.

Also why don't you want 3* Daken and 4* Kate?  They both good characters in their tiers, not top tier for sure, but miles away from being bad.

If you want to get max progression I think you're gonna need to roster the 3* Daken and 4* Kate covers you get from progression.  Even if you sell them after the event.  
  • HeartbreaksoupHeartbreaksoup Posts: 207 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2018
    Thank you!  That kind of confirms what I thought.

I don't want the characters because I don't know who they are, chiefly, and don't care to.  I see that I'll be getting a Kate when my champed Hawkguy creeps up another 9 levels to 183... but I'm really only interested in playing with characters that I know from comics... and I really only read 30+ year-old reprints.  :smiley: 

I'm not as interested in tactical gameplay as I am having fun with characters that I enjoy, so I'd rather spend HP on roster slots for characters that I want instead of powers/utilities that might make me competitive.

• DarthDeVoDarthDeVo Posts: 1,957 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank you!  That kind of confirms what I thought.

I don't want the characters because I don't know who they are, chiefly, and don't care to.  I see that I'll be getting a Kate when my champed Hawkguy creeps up another 9 levels to 183... but I'm really only interested in playing with characters that I know from comics... and I really only read 30+ year-old reprints.  :smiley: 

I'm not as interested in tactical gameplay as I am having fun with characters that I enjoy, so I'd rather spend HP on roster slots for characters that I want instead of powers/utilities that might make me competitive.

That's... a really interesting way to play.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like if I only used characters I was familiar with solely from the comics. I don't think I would have gotten very far before getting bored and giving up.
  • ThalfenThalfen Posts: 50 Just Dropped In
    Interestingly enough, that was how I started playing. Only liked the ones I knew. As they introduced more characters I would hit the Wikis to figure out who the new people were. I still will not use some whose characters I find to be stupid in some way unless they are required. I get pretty far with my roster otherwise. I have every 3 Star champed and am starting to grow my 4 Star champs. I found that reading the backstory for many of the unknowns helped me to appreciate their skills a bit more. And also helped me to find using them more enjoyable. 
  • AardvarkPepperAardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    This is super necro'ing but hey.

As far as I can tell, it is possible on at least some PvE events to get max progression with only the 2* Essential character - provided you have a free roster slot open, provided the event allows you to attain the 3* Essential for that PvE event as a progression reward, provided you play at sufficient SCL to earn that 3* as a progression reward.

About halfway through the event you earn the 3*, you roster it, then you can earn points from its node.  You won't be able to do the 3* node at the start of the event but that's as it goes.

It won't work at all if you're not playing through fairly quickly at slice open and again at slice close and grinding nodes down fully.
  • ChriPhenixChriPhenix Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Haha I play the same way! I'm only interested in characters I care about. May not be the most efficient completion-wise, but it's what keeps me interested in playing.