Who's worthy of being a 5*?

Options
Orion
Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
I saw this a bit in the Gambit thread and thought that it deserved its own conversation.

*** DISCLAIMER *** - I know that * level is not indicative of power in this game.  That's not the point.  The point is to determine which in-game characters are the strongest historically and who should be the 5*s.

So there's 21 5*s in the game right now.  In terms of comic book strength, not all of them are worthy of being called a 5*.  So who is?

For the current 5*s, Thanos, Surfer, Phoenix, Black Bolt and Dr. Strange are worthy.  Hulk and Thor are probably worthy (Banner's suckiness in-game aside).  Who else?

Of the non-5*s, I'd probably say Captain Marvel, Loki and Scarlet Witch are powerful enough historically to be considered 5*s, but my comics knowledge is lacking.  The MCU Vision would probably be, since he has an infinity stone in his head.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Good topic! Hulk is definitely a 5* as he's > than Black Bolt and Dr. Strange, easily.

This is a fun topic and its so subjective there is no way to know, but to get the best consensus it might be best to figure out who would be the least of all the 5* characters. Much easier to work up than down because we wouldn't be adding people in at the end with the "Oh yea, they probably belong too" and stretching the bottom of the pool out further.

I have no idea who to put at the bottom of that tier, but I'd go with someone like Wolverine or Deadpool who are nearly impossible to kill and won't have any problems coming back again and again until they kill their opponent. But is that even enough? Or does that make them more gatekeepers, if you will, at the top of the 4* pile? 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In my opinion, Thanos with Infinity Guantlet should not be a 5*, he transcends even that level and is easily capable of taking on multiple of the other 5* characters at the same time.

Iron Man deserves his 5* status for numerous reasons but not least because he is money behind The Avengers even if not on the team and can build an armour for any occasion.

Professor X, Magneto and Doom are all worthy of being 5* - Xavier's mind powers are ridiculous - he could literally kill people with his mind as evidenced in both comics and films if he wasn't a good guy. Magneto was powerful enough to shift the Earth's magnetic poles and Doom has been a god at least twice. Of course, if Doom is a 5* then Reed Richards should be too as he matches his intellect and is the only man Doom fears. Juggernaut is probably a 5* also power wise.

C4rol I would say yes if not for the fact that I am still holding out hope for a 5* Mar-Vell. Loki, yes and Scarlet Witch yes.
  • thechairman
    thechairman Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sentry?
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sentry, given he has the power of a million exploding suns and all that.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Let's see...from the characters we already have at the 5* tier, I think just based on raw power potential the only true 5*s are:

Thanos
    Silver Surfer
    Gladiathor
    Black Bolt
    Phoenix
    Banner
    Dr Strange

Iron Man is tricky, because his super engineering skills and resources mean he can build a robot suit that will put him on par with at least Hulk, so I'd say Hulkbuster should maybe have been the 5*

Gambit has some serious powers, even if he is not a serious character, but I'd put him at best at 4* teir.

Spider-man, while wildly popular, is but mildly powered abd no match for any of those "real" 5*s. Black Suit Spider-Man, if it's the symbiote, was more powerful, but still not on par with those others. You'd never send spider-man to deal with Thanos and expect him to come back

Green Goblin is somewhere between iron man ans spider-man - lots of resources, mildly powered, but still not a cosmic threat

Doctor Octopus is pretty joke-tier as well; sure he's very smart, but he just doesn't seem like a cosmic threat

Archangel is maybe over-rated? I mean sure he can fly, but his only gimmick is shooting razor blades from his wings, right? 

Old Man Logan - the weakest fictional variation on wolverine maybe ought not to be the highest tiered one, though he does go toe to toe with Old Man Hulk in a pretty spectacular way in his comic, so maybe he gets a pass?

Captain America is an awesome character, but he is also not at 5* power levels. He would absolutely go fight Thanos, but he would do so expecting to lose, and he'd do it anyway since it was the right thing to do. His combat skills are decidedly top-tier, so he is going to undoubtedly punch above his weight so to speak, but at the cosmic level?

Black Panther is probably around this spot also; lot of resources, but not at the cosmic level

Daredevil has sub-spider-man level powers at best, and is decidedly street level. Not a 5* to me

If you are a street level character with no-to-weak powers (hawkeye, black widow, Star Lord) you don't belong at 5*

Characters that maybe belong here but aren't:
    As mentioned, C4rol and Switch are probably 5* level powers, I guess Loki too. I'd put Nova in that list, and given her power siphoning capabilities, maybe Rogue could be as powerful as her opponent?

Characters that are tragically under-tiered:
    Dr. Doom - serioiusly, he has to be the baddest earth based villain, right?
    Magneto - Is he the most-powerful, non magic mutant? 
    Ghost Rider - he is a straight up for real demon, so he's got some powers

• Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options

Anyone that has been a horsemen of the apocalypse should be 5 stars.

The ones we have that shouldn't be 5s are Hawkeye, Widow, and Doc Ock.

• DAZ0273
    Options
    Actually yes forgot about Archangel but I think he is a bit tricky also - on the one hand he does ascend to become the new Apocalypse in Uncanny X-force which would put him at a 5* level but on the other hand I'm not sure he is that powerful and was normally shown on a par with Sabretooth/Wolverine level characters in X-Factor.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Sentry?
    Yes but please don't base him on the 3* version...
  • dadows
    dadows Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I would love a 5* magneto.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Qubort said:

Anyone that has been a horsemen of the apocalypse should be 5 stars.

The ones we have that shouldn't be 5s are Hawkeye, Widow, and Doc Ock.

Wouldn't Daredevil also fit in this category?
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    dadows said:
    ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I would love a 5* magneto.
    Yeah his name is Onslaught and I've been wondering for years now when we'd finally have him added. He is the combination of Magneto and Prof X, how is this guy not a 5* star yet?
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Squirrel Girl, obviously, because she's taken down Doom.

Deadpool, because he's self-aware.  If you want to be true to the character, he is aware of the meta and his powers would reflect knowledge of how the board works and how to manipulate it.

Scarlet Witch.  In the comics her powers warp reality.  She basically erased 99% of mutantkind in the "House of M" series, although she didn't do it on purpose.

If Thor qualifies, Ares likely would as well, both being gods of different pantheons.  Granted, he'd be kind of a weak 5*, because he doesn't tend to be on the winning side of things.
  • dadows
    dadows Posts: 59 Match Maker
    edited January 2018
    Options
    6* characters:
    One-Above-All
    Beyonder
    The Fulcrum
    Eternity
    Living Tribunal
    Infinity
    Franklin Richards
    Onslaught
    Grandmaster
    Odin
    Hercules
    Galactus
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Juggernaut is wildly under-tiered. Not sure he's a 5*, but he certainly is not a 1*
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Juggernaut can go toe to toe with Hulk/Thor and has singlehandely beat the X-Men on more than one occasion. His powers are so vast that Rogue could not even absorb them all, only able to take a portion and leave Juggs still standing and able to fight.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
              Powerful in-game characters who aren't 5-stars:
    Ares: Anyone classified as a god should probably be considered.

Juggernaut: He's got strength on par with Thing/Colossus and a mystical force field that makes it nearly impossible to damage him.

Loki: See: Ares

Magneto: One of the most powerful beings on Earth.

Prof. X: The world's most powerful telepath can do some things.

Reed Richards: This guy can outwit Galactus, a being so old he pre-dates the universe.

Sue Storm: She can put a force field inside you and expand it outwards... ouch.

There are lots of powerful candidates who have yet to make it into the game. Hercules and Namor stand out in my mind. Maybe Quasar if you want to go the cosmic route.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Not in game 5* to name a few

Annihilus
    Any herald of Galactus
    Hyperion
    Gladiator (Shiar)
    Super Skrull
    Adam Warlock
    Super Adaptoid
    Mister Sinister
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Oh and another Captain Marvel candidate would be Monica Rambeau/Photon.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Absorbing Man his a d-list dude with some A-list powers. I think he'd be fun
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've been reading some of the post secret wars "The Ultimates", made up of America Chavez, Blue Marvel, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, and Spectrum.  The entire idea behind their group suggests that they should all be 5 stars.  Blue Marvel and Spectrum aren't in-game at all, so they might be good 5* additions.  Black Panther is the only one in the group who doesn't have the sheer power to back up 5* status, but he's already a 5* in game.  Anti-Man, Blue Marvel's foe, would be an excellent 5* villain.