An Overview of 2017's Characters, and Thoughts Going Forward

JHawkInc
JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
So, first, a list of the characters released in 2017.

Captain Marvel, Riri Williams, Mordo, Agent Coulson, Iron Fist, Cloak & Dagger, Rocket & Groot, Gamora, Sandman, Vulture, Mockingbird, Yondu, Lockjaw, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Hulk, Nico Minoru, and America Chavez make up our 4*s. Black Panther, Hawkeye, Star Lord, Doctor Octopus, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Gambit, Thor, and Archangel make up our 5*s, and they brought along with them Hawkeye, Star Lord, Elektra, Gambit, and Angel as 3*s. Eighteen 4*s, Nine 5*s, Five 3*s.

Over half our 4*s were MCU tie-ins. Four with movies in theaters, two with DVD releases, two with TV, one with Netflix, one with Hulu, so a good variety of MCU sources. Panther and Hawkeye received MCU versions with no tie-in, Star Lord, Spider-Man, and Thor came out with movies, and Daredevil with a Netflix series (2/3rds of our 5*s being MCU). Elektra is the only 3* that might be considered an MCU tie-in release (she's based on her solo comic that was released at that time, but having that outfit be similar to the Defenders Netflix series and coming out at the same time is almost certainly not a coincidence).

Females make up eight 4*s and one 3*.

Villains make up three 4*s and one 5*, and most of those were Spidey villains.

X-Men got two 3*s, two 4*s, and two 5*s (though it was done with two 3*/5* combos, we still got several highly requested characters).

Variants came in for five 4*s, seven 5*s, and three 3*s. The only 3*s/5*s that were NOT variants of an existing character were the X-Men, and came with variants upon release.

Some simple stats and observations of 2017 releases. Any favorites? Surprises? Other things you've noticed?

Further, what kinds of things would you like to see in 2018? Both specific characters and trends?

I'd like to see more villains. We're already off to a good start with Kraven. And as much as I'd like to see more Spidey villains, we could use more non-Spidey villains. I'd like to see more X-Men. Kitty is the only one that feels like she's really missing, to me, and there are plenty of villains they could add for the X-Men.

I'd like to see fewer 5* Variants. I'd kinda like to see a Doom 5*, maybe a classic Scarlet Witch, definitely a "badass not-a-stupid-snowman Iceman", but I'd like to see more unique 5*s, like Surfer and Bolt, someone that only exists at that tier. The dual 3*/5* releases are great for getting a version of that character available to more people, but it's also nice to have a few that are exclusive to the 5* tier.

I'd kinda like to see more interesting MCU tie-ins. Like, the MCU version comes out (show/movie, whatever), so in-game give us a comic version that shows a different side of that character. Give us Shuri as Black Panther or Hank Pym as Wasp for their movies (even though neither movie will contain that character with that outfit/name, you know?) Otherwise, I'd love to see an "Ant-Man & The Wasp" 5*. And since I'm not particularly excited about Thanos minions for Infinity War tie-ins, maybe a 4* Iron Man and a 4* Captain America (so no Hulkbuster, no Peggy/Sam versions of Cap, just MCU Tony/Steve that aren't garbage like their 5* counterparts). Maybe an MCU Falcon. And cut the tinykitty, give us Jessica Jones.

And as much as I hate the "lol is it Dazzler?" spam with every new character hint, if I could PREVENT one character from making it into the game, it would be Silk. There are a dozen more interesting Spider-people to add before adding the one who is so boring she had to get bit by the same spider as Peter because they couldn't think up anything better. Please don't waste a Spidey hero slot on Silk. Please.

That's not every request/comment I could make, but that's plenty enough to get conversation started. What do people think about 2017 and 2018 for MPQ?

Comments

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,183 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018

Lol I'd argue that neither 5* Steve nor Tony are garbage. They're not top-tier, sure, but they can dish out plenty of hurt while also being irritating (Steve's Protect tiles, Tony's Countdown tiles)

In terms of movie tie-ins:

- Black Panther: not sure what event we'll get, if any. Maybe boss battles with Ulysses Klaw and/or Killmonger? Anyway we should be getting the usual three 5* in a store

- Infinity War: likely something to do with all the MCU characters against Thanos. Maybe they'll have yet another 5* Thanos store. And to date we have 11 5* that are based off their MCU counterparts. Special stores for all of them? With the 4* being those that have MCU counterparts as well (such as Nick Fury, Antman, Wasp, Winter Soldier)?

- Antman and the Wasp: Maybe a 5* Antman, either Hank Pym or Scott Lang. Giant Man would be cool too. Or a 5* Wasp, Hope van Dyne. We'll see

- Deadpool 2: slight stretch here, but I'd love to have a 5* Cable

- A New Mutants tie-in? Magik would be cool

In terms of 5*, I'd love to see more females. It's ridiculous that we only have one female 5* to date. Just from the MCU alone, we have options like Maria Hill, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Captain Marvel. Heck, I'd take a 5* Aunt May. From the X-Men, there's Storm, Kitty, Emma Frost, Psylocke, X-23, Dazzler (some of them can be 4*)

Also, could we have more really cosmic-level 5*? JHawk already mentioned that we have Surfer and Bolt. Adam Warlock, Nova (Richard Rider), Gladiator, Ayesha, Lilandra.

And yes, more villians please. Off the top of my head, Spiderman alone still has Electro, Mysterio, Rhino. 4* or 5* versions of Dr Doom and Magneto. Other villains include Mr Sinister, Sabretooth, Blackheart, Red Skull, Mandarin, Kang

For gameplay: a much better implementation of wins-based PvP. And for both points-based and wins-based system, to cater to as many players as possible. Also, revert PvE to 4 clears, yeah? Grinding gets tiring.

Lastly, for the 5* rate to go up to 20% or 25%; more 5* stores and/or types of Legendary Tokens to help ease the Classics dilution; and 5* progression reward in SCL10 and above.

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is news that Tim Miller will be directing a Kitty Pryde solo movie now.  With the Fox/Disney merger,  they might be more willing to do game tie-ins for promotion.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    There are 2 5* females - Phoenix and Natasha.

I would like to see the fantastic four get some love.  They’re arguably the weakest of any the teams in the game with no true top tier members in any tier.
  • Dax317
    Dax317 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    edited January 2018
    One thing I would like to see is the prologue turn into a non-competitive pve that rotates every season or once a month. This could be done as a way to tie-in to movies, tv series, or comics. A way to continue stories in game and a way to increase rewards without just upping them in other places. You would have the whole season/month to finish it. 

As far as characters, I would like to see an Agent May, FitzSimmons (like rocket & groot or cloak & dagger), Red Skull, Shuri, Killmonger, a 5 star Doom. 

Once we hit 25 classic 5 stars, they get their own vault for somewhere around 100 cp per pull. I know this will probably never happen, but a 1 in 75 chance at any one cover for 100 cp seems reasonable. 

One thing I really don't want to see is 6 star characters.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I want to see 5* Legion and 4* Magik.

As for Deadpool 2: Cable is almost a guarantee (or perhaps 5* Deadpool), but I'd love to see Negasonic Teenage Warhead too. I loved her in the first movie.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nice list there. It reminded me of when I started playing. I remember seeing MEH still having the new tag on him when I just begun.

I would like to see more (upgraded version) villains: Sabretooth, Juggernaut, Omega Red, Blackheart etc. Probably we'll see Thanos's children in the game since Infinity War releases in May.