Sandman = Buyer's remorse

Tintaiwan
Tintaiwan Posts: 172 Tile Toppler
Hi,
Got sandman champed. 
Thing is I cannot find a good use for him.  

Any advocates for the Sandman:

how do you use him?

who does he pair well with?

Tim

Comments

• Ragnoluce
    Ragnoluce Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Funny you should mention it--I just champed Sandman yesterday because I had a cover about to die... he's not the best 4 in my roster but I have been trying to find uses for him.

G4mora/Sandman/Daredevil5 : With even 1 cover of Sonar Strike, having any kind of stun on the board is going to make Daredevil extra-useful. A team with stuns on 3 different colors + tile generation on all stuns means things could get nasty quickly.

G4mora/Sandman/ProfX : Pattern here with Gamora being his complement... Charles' yellow passive means that you'll always fire damage on Sand Smash if you've used a cheap power beforehand (like say Gamora Blue), plus his purple give chances for more match-5s if ProfX is already invisible.

Still not the best 4* but you can def make some interesting combos...

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also Champed him last week. He's not terrible, but not good either.

I'm hoping he gets the Riri, Mordo, Wasp treatment.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    The main pros are:

1. you won't be throwing away any future Sandman covers, instead getting champion rewards.
    2. you might get some Green Goblin covers down the road.
    3. when they rebalance him, you'll have a high level version to play with.

Of course, there's no way of knowing if/when they'll rebalance him.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed him (and Lockjaw, Yondu, Rogue, Kingpin, Nightcrawler) this week. 

Lockjaw was first and I played him a lot in sim with Carn-Dusa. He actually shined on that team. He’s also boosted this PVE but hes only getting play in the essential nodes since unboosted Medusa has proven a better third to Grocket/Drax. 

Sandman was Champed second.

I’ve really enjoyed Rogue (third Champed) though she involves a lot of thinking for me in terms of what to deny and why/when/if I want to make her explode versus keeping her denying. She’s been my most used new character. I’ve enjoyed her. Though I don’t have that one favorite team with great synergy yet, she plays well on many teams. Her/Vulture/MBird is netting me more than a few defensive wins in sim currently. 

Crawler and Yondu were Champed simultaneously.  I used the former a few times trying to find some winfinite combos. Kurt/Switch/Professor did not work liked I hoped at all. Often had a pink dry board despite switch and was playing against a Medusa who was passively killing these low health characters. I tried him with Clagger and Carol and the team just murdered, spamming the board with black cascades far as the eye can see. However the team was banged up at the end and again needed packs.  So I’m kind of meh on Kurt until I can find a team to exploit the purple where I’m not coming out half dead. 

Yondu however was was a pleasant surprise I’ve been using him whenever I’m missing a Blue active in sim and he plays well on most teams.  Though I don’t think I’ve used either of his other powers. So he’s been strictly a one-power character.  I played him/Blade/IM40 for fun in sim. One recharge and the Arrows and Bloodlusts just passively wreck the other team. Definitely recommend trying it out!

Kingpin was Champed today and I tried him once or twice as a Yellow/Purple fill in. I don’t remember the team but I think it was strong enough that the other two did all the work. And while I did do the Purp to Yellow combo it felt like we coulda won without him. 

Sandman was Champed second. I haven’t even tried him. I think he’s due to be boosted soon so maybe then. He’s just not one I was excited to try. 
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Prof X/Sandman/Vulture very solid team and you will get use out of sandmans yellow as long as you cast something before you use it.
  • Ragnoluce
    Ragnoluce Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Okay one Sandman team that I've enjoyed recently is Mr.F/Thing/Sandman. It's got 2-3 turn stuns on 3 colors, and you can use Sand Smash to spam protects which give you 3 Green when they're matched for faster Sand Blasts.

It can get a little fiddly with the Shield tiles to avoid firing his Yellow's kicker, which is still the weakest part of his kit. Still a fun team on offense!
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    jamesh said:
    The main pros are:

1. you won't be throwing away any future Sandman covers, instead getting champion rewards.
    2. you might get some Green Goblin covers down the road.
    3. when they rebalance him, you'll have a high level version to play with.

Of course, there's no way of knowing if/when they'll rebalance him.
    This is the logic I followed when I champed him before Christmas :smile:
  • 333s
    333s Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Sandman + Vulture + Gamora
    Hit a few black,
    perma-stun the enemy team.
    Win.

This

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    He pairs well with a chair.

In the corner.