Update to Sandman's Champion Rewards (12/18/17)

Options
13»

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Jarvind said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Jarvind said:
    Sandman's alright. He's not amazing, but he gets hated on a lot more than he deserves. I was guilty of this too, on his initial release.

As far as the cover update goes, yay more 5* rewards! All y'all should be stoked about any change that makes 5* more accessible instead of using this as yet another platform to moan about Gambit.
    See, I disagree with you there--every platform should be used to moan about Gambit. You say yay more 5* rewards, and I say Boo another completely useless toon no one will ever get to use because of the white elephant in the room that makes him worthless.
    Are we maybe being a touch melodramatic here? There are plenty of non-Gambit teams out there to fight, and just because Goblin isn't as good as Gambit doesn't make him "useless."

Sorry, I should have qualified: I am talking about PVP. And no, there are not plenty of non-Gambit teams out there to fight. I don't know what your MMR looks like, but all I see are Gambit teams. I can count on zero fingers the number of times I have seen Goblin in PVP since Gambit's release, and I expect that number to go down now...
    I use a freshly champed Gambit and Parker, so I see pretty much what anyone else does at the 5* entry level. There are a lot of Gambits out there, sure, but I see Phoenix, Hawkeye, OML, Daredevil, Thanos, Panther, Surfer, and Bolt-Without-Gambit with a fair amount of regularity. Even seeing some maxchamped Hulkbuster/Iceman this week. Obviously some characters are less popular, but that's always gonna be the case.

Anyway, I'm not disputing that Gambit is absurdly OP. I went straight from using Phoenix and Banner to Gambit and Parker, and it's like I'm not even playing the same game. it's just tiresome seeing every thread get hijacked with "OMG NERF GAMBIT" comments.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    it's just tiresome seeing every thread get hijacked with "OMG NERF GAMBIT" comments.
    They should really nerf Gambit.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got a sandman from the Heroic 10-Pack the other day (3/4/1), so I'm kind of considering setting him to my BH to see what he's all about at champion. Is there any meaningful synergy between Sand Smash and Captain Falcon's Divebomb? Is it possible that these 2 magikarp can add up to a gyardos, or is that wishful thinking? My Flaptain is only 4/1/1 so it'll be awhile before I can put it to the test.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got a sandman from the Heroic 10-Pack the other day (3/4/1), so I'm kind of considering setting him to my BH to see what he's all about at champion. Is there any meaningful synergy between Sand Smash and Captain Falcon's Divebomb? Is it possible that these 2 magikarp can add up to a gyardos, or is that wishful thinking? My Flaptain is only 4/1/1 so it'll be awhile before I can put it to the test.

I suppose you could run the two together - you'd probably use Sam's yellow more often, but Sandman would give an emergency yellow Power for when you really need some damage.

Still, there's not much synergy there - Sandman's Purple can gather yellow AP, but Sam doesn't do a whole lot with that AP unless you also have 15 red AP. Neither one does enough for the cost to be really Worth it.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    My thinking is that you need to set up Sam's nuke, but since Sam's shield-making power requires you to match a bunch of the color it needs out on the board in order to fuel the nuke (costs yellow, puts shields down on yellow), Sandman might have two bits of utility to facilitate that. His purple can just add yellow to the board if you want to use Sam's yellow, or Sandman's yellow will throw out a bunch of shields on any old color to jumpstart it - but 3* Magneto's yellow is cheaper and adds more shields, so... 

I guess this puts you back in the situation where there are still better characters to use for that combo than Sandman. 
  • Quebbster
    Options
    All things being equal, I have trouble seeing a time where I would choose to play Captain Falcon over Luke C4ge. Both have yellow and red Actives and put out strike tiles... but C4ge is so much better.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I don't disagree that C4ge is fundamentally better, I'm just trying to find uses for undervalued characters. I like the idea of finding a hidden gestalt with a team of losers; it would be ideal if Kingpin could somehow be added in to that team to fuel the yellow deficit, but once you do that, Sandman pretty much becomes totally irrelevant since his yellow battery is also on purple and C&D would be a more effect source of yellow tiles on the board for Flaptain to populate with shields.
  • Quebbster
    Options

Gwenpool is an option. Rainbow coverage with Sam and she can put out some more defense tiles with her black Power.

Still, the main thing holding Sam back is that his red is just too expensive. There's too much that need to happen in order to get good use out of it.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2018
    Options
    And really, the point of it all was to find a use for Sandman, so now he's totally out of the equation lol. I wonder if he is best suited for that 4/3/2 off-season PVP event, paired with Cag3 and Bull2eye?