Update to Sandman's Champion Rewards (12/18/17)

Options

Comments

• Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    StevO-J said:
    It seems updating the rewards for 4*s is going to be a more regular thing. This may be a good time to have a look at the current 3* rewards for some characters. Gamora and Rocket&Groot to name two that have 4* counterparts now, or Daken/Ragnarok and Wolverine/Colossus that have the same 4* rewards while some other 4*s still have none of the 3*s rewarding them.

@Brigby is this something that is being looked at as far as you know? Maybe not something that needs priority in the grand scheme of things, but I don't think it is such a huge fix on the other hand (seeing as this is done one by one for 4* characters during the season).
    I would like to know this too, please, because I'm actually more interested in the update of 3* champion reward (4* cover) than 5*s.
  • CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 105 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Brigby, nice development. Any idea which 4* will give 5Gambit as Champion reward?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CHRISJN said:
    @Brigby, nice development. Any idea which 4* will give 5Gambit as Champion reward?
    Has to be Rogue.
  • Nabistay
    Nabistay Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options

Bowgentle said:
    CHRISJN said:
    Has to be Rogue.

Can we call favoriting rogue in hopes she gives Gambit "the 5* Gambit gambit"? 
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Here is another example of a marginal 5* toon getting the indirect Gambit nerf. I actually liked GG back in the day, particularly in PVE, and he can still be useful there, but he is beyond useless in PVP now with Gambit, which is unfortunate because of his fortify ability.

But now, anything done by his purple is overwritten by Gambit purple, and you literally have one shot at downing Gambit with his glider before THAT is overwritten by Gambit and lost for the rest of the match.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Goblin can be good with Gambit though.  They only share 1 active color, and Goblin's passive protects Gambit's purple.  Just not against other Gambits...
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Options
    Goblin can be good with Gambit though.  They only share 1 active color, and Goblin's passive protects Gambit's purple.  Just not against other Gambits...
    True but that's arguably GG's best power (his purple). So I guess he can fortify Gambit's purples and make them tick down a little faster. But in PVP all you're fighting is other Gambits, and GG's fortification ability is used against him as now enemy Gambit has fortified CD tiles that are doing damage.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ugh, Sandman gives GG. Have meh-y Christmas everyone!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    alphabeta said:
    mexus said:
    He is totally decent. 
    No he’s not.

mexus said: there are others who need it more in my opinion.
    In the 4* tier I genuinely can’t think of a single character more in need of a major buff than sandman - the consensus on line was Sandman was going to feed Doc Oct two of the worst characters in the game.
    There's definitely some kind of bullying going on. Most people never even cared to try him out but once he was boosted last time people went:
    "Damn he's not that bad". And he's not, even unboosted he's not bad IMO. He's got one of the cheapest AoE / AP in the 4* tier and it stuns. Pair him with Vulture and Gamora, you'll see a very potent team that will both perma-stun and kill the enemy team. 
    The only bad thing about Sandman is the second stage of his yellow skill but just use it once for the defence and you're fine to go. :)
    Every boosted 4* is better (and awesome) due to those extra levels compared to a non-boosted 4*, boosts really don't matter when discussing the build of a character.  Sandman's green is ok, but not stellar compared to other green abilities in 4* tier.  His purple provides some board shake but it is far down the list on board shake abilities in 4* tier.  His yellow is just bad, no defense of that power as so many other characters in 4* provide better protection and the damage/AP is really bad when you have to fire it twice to work in nearly 90% of situations.  So a character with one average ability, one below average and one terrible ability could certainly use a re-work.
  • J0nnythejig
    J0nnythejig Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yeah - I’m feeling the ambivalence of this too, at the very least I was hoping for 3 more latest characters to provide 5* champ rewards.....and my 2/5/5 Doc Ock wanted Sandman to feed him....he isn’t much use for anything else ☹️
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm sure I'll have a much stronger opinion about this change once i get my Sandman (1/4/1) to champion, and a Green Goblin at all...
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    His purple power needs to shuffle all of the yellow tiles to the two bottom rows of the board. Quicksand is a **** lay-up of a power. That and tweak his yellow a bit and he’d be fine.
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Agreed. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    And the GG cover has arrived :)
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Got the 1 Black Cover I needed to get to 13 on my GG. No complaints.

Still waiting for Banner to get a re-work though before someone gives out his covers (please).
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Jarvind said:
    Sandman's alright. He's not amazing, but he gets hated on a lot more than he deserves. I was guilty of this too, on his initial release.

As far as the cover update goes, yay more 5* rewards! All y'all should be stoked about any change that makes 5* more accessible instead of using this as yet another platform to moan about Gambit.
    See, I disagree with you there--every platform should be used to moan about Gambit. You say yay more 5* rewards, and I say Boo another completely useless toon no one will ever get to use because of the white elephant in the room that makes him worthless.
    Are we maybe being a touch melodramatic here? There are plenty of non-Gambit teams out there to fight, and just because Goblin isn't as good as Gambit doesn't make him "useless."
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Jarvind said:
    Sandman's alright. He's not amazing, but he gets hated on a lot more than he deserves. I was guilty of this too, on his initial release.

As far as the cover update goes, yay more 5* rewards! All y'all should be stoked about any change that makes 5* more accessible instead of using this as yet another platform to moan about Gambit.
    See, I disagree with you there--every platform should be used to moan about Gambit. You say yay more 5* rewards, and I say Boo another completely useless toon no one will ever get to use because of the white elephant in the room that makes him worthless.
    Are we maybe being a touch melodramatic here? There are plenty of non-Gambit teams out there to fight, and just because Goblin isn't as good as Gambit doesn't make him "useless."

Sorry, I should have qualified: I am talking about PVP. And no, there are not plenty of non-Gambit teams out there to fight. I don't know what your MMR looks like, but all I see are Gambit teams. I can count on zero fingers the number of times I have seen Goblin in PVP since Gambit's release, and I expect that number to go down now...
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,

During the daily patch on Wednesday (12/20), Sandman (Flint Marko)'s champion rewards will be updated to include covers for Green Goblin (Norman Osborn). If you'd like the champion reward breakdown, check out the original announcement here: Updates to 4-Star Champion Rewards

If you're looking to level up Sandman to reap those rewards, then head on over to the Meet Rocket & Groot event this Thursday. He will be available as a progression reward, as well as a reward in the Meet Rocket & Groot vault!
    And you didn't title this post "Sandy Claus is Comin' to Town"?