Forum Thread

Options

Comments

• RedLion
    RedLion Posts: 70 Match Maker
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Not yet, but I am on the verge of completing Marvel Puzzle Quest! (Tell us how you know, below!)
    Day 1108: I'm at 55 4* champs. The remaining 4s? 12 covers: Rogue (~lvl 250)  and Howard, 11 covers: Nightcrawler, and then Nico and MEH.

That means I'm about 1-2 months (I generate between 1.1 and 1.2 million ISO/month) from 4* equilibrium. The game, as I have been playing it, will be complete at that point.

The big existential question is...is there a 5* game to be played after that?  Do I want to play that game? A couple months ago, I would have said no, but the 5* tier has become more accessible via 4* champ rewards. As it stands, the 5* tier remains largely closed to me. Presently, it would take me 5 million ISO (4.5 months) to move all my 5 stars to their currently allowed max level, but it would take a huge number of covers spread across a large number of 5 stars to unlock the ability to champ any significant percentage of the tier. (I have 4 five stars with 11 or more covers.) 

So, I'm done playing 4* tier MPQ in 4 weeks. Then it's just maintenance. I can then move into the 5* transition, but without a way to acquire specific covers to finish characters, it's only a matter of months before I'm spinning my wheels there as well.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I haven't completed the game because I haven't seen any end credits yet.

But really, I'm on the verge.  I have all of the 4* champed except the 2 that aren't in tokens yet.  I have 37 3*s at level 266, and I've champed 28 of their dupes.  I'm starting to softcap all of my 5*s so they'll be effective in their essential nodes.  My ISO deficit that was in the 8 million range last year is down to under 2 million.  And then what?  If I'm ever to the point where I have everything champed and I'm just waiting for the new shiny to come out, then this game will lose almost all of it's appeal to me.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,624 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No, but I know others who have, so maybe someday I will, too (Please share testimony below)
    @aesthetocyst - this thread has special powers because I have just seen who the Alliance rewards for X-men v Apocalypse are! My Alliance might not make it past round 7 but...Deadpool black!!!! It exists!!!! I'll be that much closer to "winning"!

Thank you and may RNGESUS bless your LT's with bountiful covers!
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Not yet, but I am on the verge of completing Marvel Puzzle Quest! (Tell us how you know, below!)
    Question for the elders:

I saw someone mention they were producing 1 million iso a month. And someone else saying that iso wasn't a problem. How are you doing that? 
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes, I completed Marvel Puzzle Quest long ago! (Please tell us about it below!)
    I have max champed Bagman.... Twice! And a fully covered, level 94 third waiting for the blessed touch of RNGesus. 

Plus, a surplus of now 2 million iso. If they dropped all the covers I need to complete my unchamped characters at once.... I would still have excess. 
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes, I just recently completed Marvel Puzzle Quest (Whew! Please testify below)
    Dormammu said:
    Marvel Puzzle Quest is complete as soon as you lose interest in the carrot.

The constantly dangling carrot that is new releases and the illusion that you need them fully covered and champed as soon as humanly possible because if you don't you are missing out.

Once you recognize the carrot is the greatest hoax ever pulled on mankind since the advent of organized religion, one of two things will happen.
    1. You will quit.
    2. You will relax and simply enjoy the game as a pleasant time-waster while not worrying about top-placement-max-progression-every-node-must-be-ground-to-dust.

ignore 5*s, have 30+ 4*s champed, all 3*s champed, going route #2. 
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Options

Agreeing with others on here, I'm currently in a 'post-ISO' situation, all 4* (including Nico etc) are champed, 4 5* champed, a few more covered, and sitting on 1.5m ISO with effectively nothing to spend it on.

I certainly feel I've 'finished' the game, and am currently taking it relatively easy (still getting full prog on PVP/PVE with ease), will see how long that lasts before I basically get bored and quit...

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I always spent more of my attention on the the forum than I ever did on the game itself, so I'll probably never win.  My interest in the actual game wanes too fast, when there are so many problems with its design that I would rather complain about than suffer with.  Actually, if it weren't for the forum, I would have quit long ago, so maybe I did win somewhere along the line.
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The game design is insidious. Look at how many feel they are close to completing, but the carrot is just out of reach.  From my standpoint, I am getting closer to my internal goals. There will always be more characters to throw out until the game officially ends. I look at it by star tier:

1* (16 slots) - 8 originals maxed and 8 being used to apply covers for XP (faster to get ISO from Shield Ranks - I am at 144)   OVERALL - DONE & FARMING

2* (50 slots) - 14 originals maxed, 22 dupes maxed, 14 building to add to ISO bank
    OVERALL - DONE & FARMING

3* (93 slots) - 43 originals maxed, 4 originals champed, 2 dupes maxed, 44 building to add to ISO bank
    OVERALL - DONE & FARMING

4* (60 slots) - 58 originals champed (none maxed), final 2 will be champed on next hoard pull   OVERALL - ALMOST DONE

5* (21 slots) - 12 champed (soon to be 16). Other 5 well on their way
    OVERALL - SOME WORK TO DO

There will always be more to do, but there is some satisfaction when you complete a tier and can devote all rewards and ISO to the next tiers higher. At this point, the feeling that I have "completed" MPQ comes more and more often.

Other goals include getting 999,999 Deadpool points, getting 1st in PVE and PVP at highest SCL, and continuing to have laughs with alliance mates. 
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All 4* except America Chavez and all 5* except Thor and Archangel champed.  First place PvP alliance, the very same alliance I joined the day the feature was released.

Yeah, I think I might be done here.

The release of Gambit was the beginning of the end, though.  I finally champed him about a week ago and already he's my most used character at level 451 over my level 482 Silver Surfer.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Dayv said:
    All 4* except America Chavez and all 5* except Thor and Archangel champed.  First place PvP alliance, the very same alliance I joined the day the feature was released.

Yeah, I think I might be done here.

The release of Gambit was the beginning of the end, though.  I finally champed him about a week ago and already he's my most used character at level 451 over my level 482 Silver Surfer.
    Pve is much more fun than pvp in that sense, but I've also found it interesting to try to play pvp without a gambit sometimes... Mostly when I accidentally fail to select him. :) 
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As of yesterday. Said goodbye to my alliance. Said goodbye to friends on line. Said goodbye to game. Four years of off and on play is enough. When I came back over a year ago, I made it a point to be casual. I did, but even then it's just too time consuming. The flavor is finally chewed through. The fabric worn thin. It was fun for a while, but I learned that it's just not that hard to walk away. This time is permanent. I wish everyone well in their true lives, and I hope peace and prosperity find you all at sometime. Peace be to you brothers and sisters.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Who knows, I might start reading again!
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thanks for the well wishes! Me, all lined up. 2017 gave me 3 new grandchildren! One set of twins! Life's an easy choice when you look into new born babies eyes. 
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I feel I recently "won" MPQ when I champed Gambit, my sixth 5* champ.  

MPQ to me has always been about building your roster, trying to reach that next tier. When you've got 2*s, you're building 3*s, then you're chasing 4*s, then 5*s. It's a long, slow process. 

I maxed my first 3*s in 2016 not long after the champ system rolled out. By Oct 2016, I'd champed my first half-dozen 4*s, and then in May 2017 I champed my first 5*s (Thanos/BP/BB).

But it was when I champed Gambit last month I finally felt I'd caught up to the pack as much as I ever will. I have a champed Gambolt team, a champed Panthos team, as well as champed 5Hawk and 5SL. And I built my roster almost totally F2P, not once in a buy club, so I feel a weird sense of accomplishment with my roster.

Now I'm kind of on a lazy autopilot. I zip through PvE clears in 30 minutes, my 2* farm turns over monthly, and I've champed dupes for about half the 3* tier, which will start paying off nicely soon. My last remaining goals are to champ a few holdout 4*s and 5*s (OML, Strange) just to finish them, and wonder how I'll feel about MPQ in about three months when most of that is done.  

• Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well I've got 11 four stars left to champ 8 classics fully covered three latest snot covered. 7 fives champed and one more ready to be champed (goblin). So 6 months or so and I'll be ISO ready for champing all fours and I'll stop selling off Mymensingh max champed threes and just ISO max my fives. 
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2018
    Options
    No, but I can see how it will happen, just not sure when (Please share any revelations below)
    Working on rostering everyone. Aside from the 1*s (and Bagman), so far only Doc Ock and Green Goblin are escaping my grasp. After that it'll be interesting to see how the championing goes. With the release of characters constantly, I feel it will be a fair while before I am able to truly complete this game.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No, but I can see how it will happen, just not sure when (Please share any revelations below)
    I have 31 4* champions and am chasing my first 5* champion, Daredevil, currently at 4/3/1 after I finally scratched the itch, then failed to fully cover him during the Great Christmas Splurge of 2017. Now I'm determined to hoard my Legendary Tokens and CP once again, until I think I've got enough to have a good chance of fully covering DD via the Bonus Hero system.

I think I'll need to save up at least 100 LTs, and maybe 1,500 CP. I'll be buying Classics, not Latest, which will give me 25% more covers, but that may be a mistake. I don't know. Do Classics have less of a chance of giving up 5*s, and thus even less chance for a 5* bonus cover? Or is it the same rate?

Of course if DD's purple cover ever pops up in the H4H store, I think I'll have to buy it. As long as it's only 250 CP and not 500, which given there's currently there's a green Phoenix available for 250 and a yellow Thor for 500, I expect it's 250 CP for Classic 5*s, and 500 for Latest. That's going to hurt, but, I've pulled 10-15 Classics before and not got a single 5\*, so outright buying the 5* cover I want for 250 might maybe be a better deal.

Long story short, once I get Daredevil fully covered, I'll know I'm getting closer to "completing" MPQ. 
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Update on me ( not that anyone cares  :D ) is that I pulled my hoard, got a 452 Gambit, and 10 covers each in Archangel and Thor. I was pretty much spot on with 15% and almost equal character distribution among the 3...how weird!

Anyway, stuff was going on in my life at the time and that's why I pulled the hoard early, because I thought I might not have as much time for MPQ. I quit my top 100 PVE alliance after missing max prog two straight events, joined a new alliance, barely played the second day, got booted out of it, and am now in my 3rd alliance in the last week! Maybe they'll boot me too, who knows?

Anyway, I hit 1,200 in PVP a few times, I can easily get max prog from PVE, I've got a couple champed 5*, over half the 4* tier champed (including every character other than Nightcrawler I want champed)  several max champed 3*, the never ending 2* farm, the never ending 1* farm.

There's nothing left for me to prove here. I log on to the Forums every week day, still, and don't find the excitement in the posts that I used to find.

I'll still play, and I'll still check the Forums, but I think I've beaten the game and my time is done.

Thanks to everyone who has made the last 2+ years so enjoyable! Good luck and best wishes to you all!
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When it comes to massive ongoing games like this one I tend to create internal goals to strive towards.

I did this with Diablo 2 which was a game I played for many years prior to MPQ.  My goal in that game was to beat the hardest difficulty 100% solo, offline which every class.  This feat seemed impossible to me given how the vast majority of builds die in the hardest difficulty but after years of play I eventually achieved success.

With MPQ I had several small goals along the way regarding leveling a certain desirable character, reaching certain placements in events and so on.   But the one MAJOR goal was to one day find myself in a position where I had no more characters to level with ISO. 

This goal seemed pretty reasonable initially because aside from XF and IW, 4* tier wasn't a thing at that time.  I could tell that I was very slowly making up ground and there was light at the end of the tunnel. 

Before long hope was all but shattered though as 4*'s flood into the game and later 5*'s.   However, I stuck with the game, continued my hybrid lifestyle and played LR's as much as my schedule would reasonably allow.

Finally, sometime in early-mid 2017 I found myself successful as Yelena Belova finally achieved max level 40! 

Unlike, Diablo 2, where achieving my goal led me to move on to other games I've stuck with MPQ.   This is largely due to the community and ongoing content of course.   Thanks to the introduction of 4*'s paying off 5* rewards its actually conceivable that I will some day have every non-latest 5* character in the game championed at some point.  Considering this goal will require that have 2 copies of the feeder 4* at level 370ish to achieve I'm not about to achieve this newest goal any time soon.   But the finish line does exist and perhaps some day I'll pass it.