Question about 4*Venom's passive

Marc_Spector
Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
I just champed & respecced my 4*Venom to 5-black, and assumed that his passive @ 5 covers would cause enemy protect tiles in battle to have a protect value listed as "1" -- but the enemy protect tiles created by Venom (when damaging opponents over the necessary threshold) have the value listed as the same as in his yellow tooltip (54).
Is this a bug?
Or, does the game still treat those as being worth only 1 protect, despite being listed in-battle as 54?
Or, does the reducing of enemy protect tiles to 1 only affect ones created by the enemy team, and not ones created by Venom? (Which would be pretty ridiculous, IMO.)  

I'm guessing how it's supposed to work is that having a 5-black Venom in your team allows all tile-matches and powers fired by your team to bypass the value of all enemy protect tiles on the board (similar to Peggy Carter's red) -- is that correct? (And, it wouldn't matter if an enemy buffs their own protect tiles, as I'd still be bypassing them completely?)

Thanks in advance for any clarity on this!

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a Champed Venom. When you select the tile it will show you the original number, but when you damage them, you will notice the damage reduction.

Eddie is great against Kishu, Cage, and Bullseye. The more protects, the better he is.
  • Marc_Spector
    Thanks, @Anon!!  Just to clarify, what you described should affect Venom AND his teammates, correct? The bypassing of protect-tiles is a persistent, team-wide buff?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks, @Anon!!  Just to clarify, what you described should affect Venom AND his teammates, correct? The bypassing of protect-tiles is a persistent, team-wide buff?
    Yes. As long as Venom is active, all enemy protect tiles are reduced. My Venom is 3/5/5 and even going up against Carol and her tile buffing is great because she can buff the same tile a hundred times and it will still only have a value of 1.

As long as Venom is alive, that is.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I believe tile descriptions used to update to reflect persistent, global modifiers (also Max Pun and BSSM) however this seems to have been reverted at some point in the past months. The tile will show its actual strength, but the game will modify the practical effect of that tile based on the static, global modifiers involved. In the case of Venom, that means that the Protect tile strength will be treated as 1 regardless of what it actually is.

If it helps, you can think of it as "reduced by 100%, to a minimum of 1". Aka 1.
  • Marc_Spector
    Thanks so much, @Anon & @Jaedenkaal ! That's all exactly what I was hoping would be the case (and hadn't even considered the notion of the enemy buffing their protect tiles... I'm glad to hear that that too is ineffective if Venom is still alive)