Web shot

I'm not sure if I’m reading the power wrong, but when it fires with 5 or more webs on the field, two are supposed to change to critical tiles. Right? Just wanting confirmation before I figure if this is a bug.

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    no

It fires damage and applies the first crit.

After the initial damage and crit resolves.  If there are still 5 web tiles out,  it will convert 2 more web tiles to crits.

So when you first fire the power.  If the first crit cascades and destroys web tiles you won't get the 2nd and 3rd crit
  • Nabistay
    Nabistay Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    I noticed this as well, came here to see if anyone else sees this. 

To reproduce the bug:

2/0/3 5* Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
    Let his two web tiles appear from Web Shot passive
    fire Stick Around once, adding 2 web tiles
    Match a web tile
    fire Stick Around 2nd time, adding 2 web tiles
    fire web shot, be disappointed with the conversion of a web tile to the board

My best guess is that it does the calculation of how many web tiles are on the field after it changes one to a crit tile, sort of like how Daken looks for strike tiles to eat after he changes tiles to green
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    ***Moving this over to Bugs and Technical Issues and maybe @Tombstone can weight in***
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not bugged, the description just isnt very clear. It's a power with 2 phases.

If you want to make the 3 crits, you'll need to have web tiles on the board at least when you use red.

Phase 1, it does the damage then it will convert a web tile to a crit.
    Phase 2, it will check if there are 5 web tiles out and if there are, it will convert 2 more webs to crits.

You can get 6 webs out with Spidey himself if he's at 4/5/4. Passive will make 2 webs, you match one away so there's only one remaining. Passive will add 2 more on the next turn, now you have 3 on the board.

Use blue once, you'll have 6 webs.

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Phumade said:
    no

It fires damage and applies the first crit.

After the initial damage and crit resolves.  If there are still 5 web tiles out,  it will convert 2 more web tiles to crits.

So when you first fire the power.  If the first crit cascades and destroys web tiles you won't get the 2nd and 3rd crit
    Had NO IDEA. Didn't think much of it because I've usually had a better red, or the amount of base damage was enough for the job, but this is really good to know. 
  • Nabistay
    Nabistay Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    "Deal 6121 damage. Then, if there are 3 or more Web tiles, convert 1 of them to Critical tiles. If there are 5 or more web tiles, convert 2 more of them into Critical tiles."

It sounds like they need another Then in there. This is very, very, VERY poorly worded if it really wants you to have 6 web tiles. It uses Then to indicate a separation of time, and then it doesn't. Worse yet, both sentences in question start with the same structure. 

THEN indicates a second action. The way it is written now, there is only one conditional check. So either the number needs to be bumped up to 6 in the last sentence, or another THEN needs to be added. 

Is there an English Major in the house that can verify? I only have my knowledge of MtG rules and 5 years of Software Development guiding my words-to-effects engine. This is not my strong suit. 
  • mbaren
    mbaren Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    As a matter of fact, yes, I am an English major, though you don't really need one to verify that it's poorly phrased.  It's not *wrong*, per se, but it's not particularly clear.