Doctor's Orders - 04-06 MAY

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I won my bracket with like 1024 somehow. Must get in this bracket again I need the red xforce from falcon pvp.
  • Unknown
    Options
    entropic01 wrote:
    Am I the only one that had their most miserable PVP in a long time? Seeing these huge scores makes me think I’m the only one super struggling in this PVP

Top 10 cutoff in my bracket is 1124 which is high but manageable. Usually I could break 1100 with 0 or 1 shields but this time I am in the worst MMR hell I’ve ever seen.

From the very beginning, I was facing nothing but 141 teams. I have no problem taking down 141 teams since I field one myself but the problem was I also was getting attacked more than usual. Typically, my team lets me not get attacked until above 900. Occasionally I would get hit around 600-700 but that was the exception rather than the rule.

This time however, I started getting hit as low as 300. It wasn’t just a fluke thing either, I got to about 700 and came out to over -100 in attacks. I actually had to shield out at 725ish and immediately got hit several more times. I clawed my way up to 800ish and shielded out for hopefully at least a top 50.

Anyone else seeing anything remotely like this?

that sucks Entropic, I saw the usual 2* to 300ish, obw +thor from 500-800, then 3*s around 1k. It seemed like mmr was pretty spot on.
  • Unknown
    Options
    that sucks Entropic, I saw the usual 2* to 300ish, obw +thor from 500-800, then 3*s around 1k. It seemed like mmr was pretty spot on.

Yea, that's the climb I've grown accustomed to as well. I have no idea why my MMR suddenly went to hell. Hopefully I can do something to get it reasonable again.
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, what's the general consensus of when the best time to start is now? I know it used to be waiting, but not so sure as one of our alliance waited and they still had 1,200+ top 5/10.
  • Unknown
    Options
    entropic01 wrote:

Yea, that's the climb I've grown accustomed to as well. I have no idea why my MMR suddenly went to hell. Hopefully I can do something to get it reasonable again.

I think a different strategy is required now. You hit me with about 4 hours to go in the tournament for -40. At the time I was already above 1000, and you were at around 700 pts. In the past you would have never seen me in your nodes until you had gotten higher. I've noticed that as well when I was climbing, I was hitting people 200+ points above me, and visa versa. It sucks being above 1000 getting hit for large pts by people with 700 pts and below. So you have to find fights worth more than 25+ pts (ie they have scores higher than you), but you are getting retal'ed by those same people AND you have to deal with players starting their climb. Those are the tough ones because you essentially have to win 2 fights to get those pts back.

Because the range is so large now a lot more people are seeing you as targets, and because of that you are going to get hit more often. Therefore late pushes don't work as well. This event was especially crazy with the scores, we will see if this was an aberration or a sign of things to come.
  • Unknown
    Options
    daveomite wrote:
    So, what's the general consensus of when the best time to start is now? I know it used to be waiting, but not so sure as one of our alliance waited and they still had 1,200+ top 5/10.

I know I'm never entering another bracket 29 hours after the start. icon_lol.gif
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    daveomite wrote:

I know I'm never entering another bracket 29 hours after the start. icon_lol.gif

yeah...thinking earlier is now officially better. Lol
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    daveomite wrote:

Channeling my inner Yogi Berra: there's such a mad rush at the beginning that everyone now waits to join later.
  • farlus
    farlus Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I thought my bracket was going to be a pushover until about 5 PM yesterday, when suddenly there was a massive surge of activity. It got even worse once PVE ended. At last check it was around 950 to even break top 10 and this was with over 2 hours left in the tourney. Ended up just pushing back up to around 850 and shielding so I'd get a Falcon cover at least. Seems like the events are getting more and more brutal.
  • Unknown
    Options
    daveomite wrote:
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    daveomite wrote:

yeah...thinking earlier is now officially better. Lol

honestly, I don't think it matters. There are so many high scorers across the board that anything short of getting a last hour bracket to steal #1 with 500+pts, it will be a dogfight to 1200+ in almost all brackets.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mizake wrote:
    entropic01 wrote:

I think a different strategy is required now. You hit me with about 4 hours to go in the tournament for -40. At the time I was already above 1000, and you were at around 700 pts. In the past you would have never seen me in your nodes until you had gotten higher. I've noticed that as well when I was climbing, I was hitting people 200+ points above me, and visa versa. It sucks being above 1000 getting hit for large pts by people with 700 pts and below. So you have to find fights worth more than 25+ pts (ie they have scores higher than you), but you are getting retal'ed by those same people AND you have to deal with players starting their climb. Those are the tough ones because you essentially have to win 2 fights to get those pts back.

Because the range is so large now a lot more people are seeing you as targets, and because of that you are going to get hit more often. Therefore late pushes don't work as well. This event was especially crazy with the scores, we will see if this was an aberration or a sign of things to come.

with wider mmr range, its here to stay. Even without kyip-gate, scores were continually creeping up and their has been an obvious trickle down effect. Don't know what strategy is optimal but multiple shields are now a necessity if you want to get that top spot.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mizake wrote:

Are you sure it's not that they hit skip and immediately and 'found' you, but rather they had you in their queue already from an earlier time?

Because I know I've been hit by people with 0 points when I had climbed to 800+. They didn't "see me" at 800 .. it's more likely they logged in the event 90 minutes earlier, queued me up when I was at 200, and then hit me later. So, I lose -50 and they gain more points than their screen told them they were going to get.

When I'm making my climb, I -rarely- see someone with more than 250+ points above me. They are there .. but I usually have to hit skip about 7-8 times to find them.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Mizake wrote:

Are you sure it's not that they hit skip and immediately and 'found' you, but rather they had you in their queue already from an earlier time?

Because I know I've been hit by people with 0 points when I had climbed to 800+. They didn't "see me" at 800 .. it's more likely they logged in the event 90 minutes earlier, queued me up when I was at 200, and then hit me later. So, I lose -50 and they gain more points than their screen told them they were going to get.

When I'm making my climb, I -rarely- see someone with more than 250+ points above me. They are there .. but I usually have to hit skip about 7-8 times to find them.

I think it's just a wider MMR range now. When I go from 200-800ish, I can usually skip around and find targets worth 40+ all the time. I don't have them saved up from before.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mizake wrote:
    I think it's just a wider MMR range now. When I go from 200-800ish, I can usually skip around and find targets worth 40+ all the time. I don't have them saved up from before.

Sure, but when you're in the 600's making your climb, you're not finding multiple people with 1000 points (I know I'm not). It's more likely your finding a few people in the low to mid-800's to gain those 37-41 points and many more people within 100 points of your current position.

Those times you find someone that is 400+ points ahead of you is very, very rare. I would assume its by design in order to help people make a climb so they don't get stuck in rut slugging it out with the same people in their point range.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The only way to dodge bad brackets is waiting to join at the very end, which itself is not a great strategy. A lot of alliances time their entries into the event to an extent to prevent overlap in brackets.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Mizake wrote:

Sure, but when you're in the 600's making your climb, you're not finding multiple people with 1000 points (I know I'm not). It's more likely your finding a few people in the low to mid-800's to gain those 37-41 points and many more people within 100 points of your current position.

Those times you find someone that is 400+ points ahead of you is very, very rare. I would assume its by design in order to help people make a climb so they don't get stuck in rut slugging it out with the same people in their point range.

In my experience I agree with Mizake that MMR is wider. As Mizake mentioned I hit him from 700 when he was 1000 and I skipped into him. I kept seeing guys 300+ points above me and getting hit by multiple guys 300 points below me when I was actively playing, not saved nodes.
  • fedlex20
    fedlex20 Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What the **** is a kiyp-gate? I assume the -gate at the end is a reference to watergate-like things, but could someone explain to me what is kiypgate?

Or i could be completely mistaken.
  • Unknown
    Options
    ichijuan wrote:
    What the tinykitty is a kiyp-gate? I assume the -gate at the end is a reference to watergate-like things, but could someone explain to me what is kiypgate?

Every few PVPs there's a bug where a shielded person is visible in people's queues. Kyip was such a person. This leads to point inflation because a lot of people can target him and gain big points while he can't lose any. Anyone who loses to him pushes up his value, which pushes up his value to everyone attacking him. And on and on.

It's essentially a rehash of the original shield mechanics.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    ZdEhc6bl.png

That was kyipgate: note the point inflation, compared with a very competitive event that just ended, where top 10 alliances have 17,5 - 25k points. Ignore my score, I am never able to achieve such scores normally icon_lol.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Mizake wrote:

Stop moving the goal posts Toxi icon_lol.gif I said 200+ points, not 250+ and not 400+. The main point being you can find plenty of matches worth 40+ points on your initial climb up, and this is new. Previously after Ghast tanking you would have to slog through a ton of 10-20 points matches until you hit about 600-700. Now right off the bat you can find people about 200 points above you that are worth 40+ points. You can go from 0-600 in about 15-20 matches now, ignoring retals. The early climb goes much quicker now.