'Check internet connection'

Options
I am fully aware this isn't a big issue, but it's a little thing that bugs me.
With the servers once again being down today, the check internet connection message on the loading screen is annoying me, it's not my internet, but more the games servers, and I feel this needs to be changed to something more honest such as 'servers down' or 'we are experiencing difficulties' as it's never the gamers faults we can't access the game.

Comments

• moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's a matter of perspective.  It may never be your fault, but I've definitely driven through rural Wisconsin or some hill valley in bumpkis USA where there is spotty cell tower coverage and then get the 'check internet' message and it was technically my fault as it was not a server issue.
  • Tseb
    Tseb Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    moss04 said:
    It's a matter of perspective.  It may never be your fault, but I've definitely driven through rural Wisconsin or some hill valley in bumpkis USA where there is spotty cell tower coverage and then get the 'check internet' message and it was technically my fault as it was not a server issue.
    However, when someone is sitting at home and gets the same message and reads 5-6 other members in the alliance have the same problem, it's almost certainly a server error.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    How is the game supposed to tell the difference between a bad internet connection and the servers being down?  All it knows is that it is sending a request and not getting a response. Rather than giving you a useless 'failed to connect' message, you get the suggestion to check your connection.  If you do check and your device is able to connect through other methods then it is probably safe to assume that the problem is on the other end.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How is the game supposed to tell the difference between a bad internet connection and the servers being down?  All it knows is that it is sending a request and not getting a response. Rather than giving you a useless 'failed to connect' message, you get the suggestion to check your connection.  If you do check and your device is able to connect through other methods then it is probably safe to assume that the problem is on the other end.
    The only way would be if it had a 3rd party sanity check.  Such as pinging www.google.com to see if internet is up.  But it's technically possible for that site to be down, but much more likely that both would be down at once (or that google would be down at all)