R134 Release Notes *Updated (8/29/17)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited August 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
UpdateDue to several adjustments that were introduced in R134, players will need to re-download character assets in-game. We apologize for the inconvenience, but rest assured that once assets for each character are re-downloaded, they won't need to be downloaded again.
===
Hi Everyone,

Here are the Release Notes for the R134 update!

MPQ 134!

His teleport is worse than his bite! Lockjaw is coming soon to Marvel Puzzle Quest.

What's Changed:
  • A brand new Special tile called the Repeater tile has been introduced into the game. They behave similarly to Countdown tiles, in that they countdown each turn, but differ in that they return to the base number instead of being destroyed. Powers that specifically target Countdown tiles will not target Repeater tiles (unless specifically stated). The following powers now create Repeater tiles instead of Countdown tiles:
    • Human Torch (Johnny Storm) - Flame Jet
    • Human Torch (Classic) - Flame Jet
    • Black Panther (T’Challa) - Defense Grid
    • The Punisher (Dark Reign) - Molotov Cocktail
    • Blade (Daywalker) - Nightstalker
    • Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze) - Hellfire
    • Rocket & Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2) - Rocket’s Pack

Previously, these powers had used Countdown tiles with short countdowns that replaced themselves when they went off. This was awkward to explain, hard for new players to understand, led to some subtle bugs, and limited our ability to create certain kinds of powers that interact with Countdown tiles.

Abilities that Target/Affected by Repeater Tiles (Implicitly or Explicitly): 

1-Star
  • Yelena (Dark Avengers) - Payback Mission
2-Star 
  • Moonstone (Dark Avengers) - Gravity Warp
3-Star
  • Beast (Classic) - Animal Inside
  • Beast (Classic) - Medical Marvel
  • Magneto (Classic) - Coercive Field
  • Rocket & Groot (Most Wanted) - Blammo! We Got Ya!
  • Sam Wilson (Falcon) -   Redwing
  • Star-Lord (Peter Quill) - Bit of Both
4-Star 
  • Carnage (Cletus Kasady) - Alien Instincts
  • Carnage (Cletus Kasady) - Carnage Rules 
  • Drax (The Destroyer) - The Destroyer
  • Gamora (Awesome Mix Volume 2) - The Deadliest Woman...
  • Howard the Duck (Howard, A Duck) - Bill of Rights
  • Invisible Woman (Classic) - Force Bubbles
  • Jean Grey (All-New X-Men) - (Mind Over Matter)
  • Luke Cage (Power Man) - (Hero for Hire)
  • Riri Williams (Ironheart) - Magnetic Repulsors
  • Riri Williams (Ironheart) - Selfless Intervention 
  • Spider Woman (Jessica Drew) - To Love and Fear
  • Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw) - Sleight of Hand
  • Thor (Goddess of Thunder) - Striking Distance
  • Venom (Eddie Brock) - Symbiotic Fury
  • Vulture (Adrian Toomes) - Hybrid Tech Slicer
5-Star
  • Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff) - Tell Me Everything
  • Jean Grey (Phoenix) - Psychic Flames
  • Wolverine (Old Man Logan) - Still Sharp
  • Star-Lord (Awesome Mix Volume 2) - Bit of Both
  • Thanos (The Mad Titan) - Infinite Power

Abilities That Don't Target/Affect Repeater Tiles *New Update*
5-Star:
  • Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) - Goblin King
  • Hawkeye (Clint Barton) - Can't Seem to Miss
4-Star:
  • Agent Coulson (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) – Best Laid Plans
  • Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) – Executive Decision
  • Sam Wilson (Captain America) – Aerial Avenger
3-Star:
  • The Hood (Classic) – Intimidation
2-Star:
  • Black Widow (Original) – Anti-Gravity Device
  • Spider-Man (Bag-Man) – Snarky Remark
  • Character powers that can change into a different powers will now work correctly in Wave missions.
  • The character with the highest health will now stay in front in situations where multiple characters have an active power that moves them to the front.
  • Powers that stun a random character will now increase their stunned turn duration if the character was already stunned. This fixes a bug where if a new stun had a longer duration than the current stun effect, it wouldn't set the current stun duration to the stun duration of the power just cast. *New Update*
  • When a player has two of the same character at the same level, the character that was selected last time will be selected by default the time the player enters the Character Select screen.
  • STEAM Only: Selecting the empty space above the back arrow in the Recruit Heroes screen will no longer take you to the Resources screen.
Update: Added additional information regarding the new Repeater tiles
Update 2: Added even more information regarding the new Repeater tiles and the stun duration bug-fix
Update 3: Changed to Final Release Notes

Comments

• Bruinsfan17
    Bruinsfan17 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    That would be very lame if those powers no longer activated her Executive Decision. I hope that's not the case.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    That would be very lame if those powers no longer activated her Executive Decision. I hope that's not the case.
    Be prepared for lameness.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Carol and Coulson's passives get a light nerf with repeater tiles, if they don't count as 'expiring' every turn, but that's fine because a new mechanic like this really opens the door for a lot of interesting new powers that don't mess with the already absurd countdown meta the 4-star tier finds itself in. I ran Carol/R&G/4SL a lot so this will diminish the effectiveness of that team a bit but I can't say it was unearned. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Powers that stun a random character will now increase their stunned turn duration if the character was already stunned.
    • When a player has two of the same character at the same level, the character that was selected last time will be selected by default the time the player enters the Character Select screen.
    Stuns that are random will stack...?
    That's......pretty interesting. Though I wonder why they've chosen just random stuns rather than focussed.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    "Tug of war champion" - would this imply a very strong man ? I wouldn't mind a 4* Colossus, since his 3* version is kind of underwhelming. But since his an X-men, I suppose he's not an option. 

Could it imply someone "pulling the strings" ? As a crime boss or something. 

I have no clue who this is. Is he Defenders related also ? Could Jessica Jones be somehow connected ?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 said:
    "Tug of war champion" - would this imply a very strong man ? I wouldn't mind a 4* Colossus, since his 3* version is kind of underwhelming. But since his an X-men, I suppose he's not an option. 

Could it imply someone "pulling the strings" ? As a crime boss or something. 

I have no clue who this is. Is he Defenders related also ? Could Jessica Jones be somehow connected ?
    Should be Jessica Jones, she's wayyyy overdue. Probably not though. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Powers that stun a random character will now increase their stunned turn duration if the character was already stunned.
    That's......pretty interesting. Though I wonder why they've chosen just random stuns rather than focussed.
    Presumably because you can't control whether you stun someone who isn't already stunned.

@Brigby - Would it be possible to get a list of powers which target CD tiles but not Repeater tiles? Or a list of powers that still do (whichever is shorter. I'm a reasonable guy).

Can we also assume that Repeater tiles still count as "Special" tiles?

Thanks
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Presumably because you can't control whether you stun someone who isn't already stunned.

@Brigby - Would it be possible to get a list of powers which target CD tiles but not Repeater tiles? Or a list of powers that still do (whichever is shorter. I'm a reasonable guy).

Can we also assume that Repeater tiles still count as "Special" tiles?

Thanks
    I feel it would make more sense, rather than coding in stun stacking, something the system hasn't been able to do before, to instead code in "don't stun if already stunned".
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,

MPQ 134!

"Tug of War Champion!"

Hercules? Blob?

As for the changes, I'm into the repeater tiles even though they present a nerf for Carol. And:

• Powers that stun a random character will now increase their stunned turn duration if the character was already stunned.
    Excellent! This has definitely made me grumble in the past.

• talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    "Powers that specifically target Countdown tiles will not target Repeater tiles (unless specifically stated".

The era of C4rol + Listed characters = over
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Glad I just champed Wasp! 
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    If you've watched The Defenders the clue could easily be Jessica Jones. 
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    chaos01 said:
    Haven't watched it.  What's the connection, if you don't mind elaborating?
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,

MPQ 134!

"Tug of War Champion!"

Hercules? Blob?

As for the changes, I'm into the repeater tiles even though they present a nerf for Carol. And:

• Powers that stun a random character will now increase their stunned turn duration if the character was already stunned.
    Excellent! This has definitely made me grumble in the past.

Hercules came to mind quickly for me. He pulled Manhattan with a giant chain, and Google brought up a tugboat named Hercules while I was trying to verify the Manhattan thing.

That is an unfortunate (probably) nerf to certan characters who were using repeating CD tiles. I'll have to find someone else to put with coulson and Hawkeye (replacing Ghost Rider).
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    My first thought on the clue was Hercules, but has he been relevant in recent years?

I agree with mega ghost that Blob would make sense if looking at the clue from a defense POV... but relevancy again plus he is a mutant.

I'd love for it to be JJ but the clue doesn't really line up.

4* Colossus seems like the safest bet, with the dark horse bet that this is a play on an anchor.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    chaos01 said:
    I'm only 2 episodes in. I watch a few a week when a friend is over. No spoilers please. But this makes me happy if it is her!
  • TTTSB
    TTTSB Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    I want it to be Jessica Jones too, but it's clearly the very well known characters Hammer and Anvil. They're a walking tug of war.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    TTTSB said:
    I want it to be Jessica Jones too, but it's clearly the very well known characters Hammer and Anvil. They're a walking tug of war.
    You might be right...