What is the point of choosing your progression level on PVE?

NotBAMFNotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
So when I saw the next PVE event was the Simulator, I winced because, ugh, I hate the Simulator. It's so much harder and takes so much longer per node than the typical minion-laded PVEs. I'm just not a fan.

For the first time ever, I chose to actually compete DOWN a level in PVE because I was hoping that would make the event  little easier. So I went with level 6 instead of my usual level 7 (also, I saw the 4* reward on level 7 was blue Riri, and I'm already choking on those. My Riri is 5/2/3, and I have two blues rotting on the vine, and within the last two weeks, I had to sell two others... to the point where I'm convinced they ONLY make blue Riri covers... side note: in the first Sinister Six story, BOTH my Homecoming tokens were blue Riki's). 

Imagine my surprise when, as I played last night, the levels of my opponents were exactly the same as if I had chosen level 7. So what was the point of having chosen level 6? Is it JUST to get worse rewards? If so... who would ever choose that? Why even make that an option? 

So now, as if I don't hate the Simulator enough, I'm doing it for worse rewards than I should be at the exact same difficulty (and, IIRC, I have to finish T50 instead of T100 to get Mockingbird, which isn't difficult, but I'm going away this weekend and was hoping to be able to slack off). Ugh. 

Comments

• Blindman13Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Currently your PVE opponent's difficulty is determined by your roster level, not the SCL. So no matter what level you choose, you will face the same enemies. They have recently run a couple experimental events where difficulty was determined by SCL, and the though is that they will be moving that direction full time in the near future.  
    Personally, I was almost always playing SCL 8, but I have dropped down to SCL 7 occaisionally in the theory that the competition for top placement will be lighter.  I have no evidence to support this, just my own presumtion.
  • ZBarJonesZBarJones Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Currently your PVE opponent's difficulty is determined by your roster level, not the SCL. So no matter what level you choose, you will face the same enemies. They have recently run a couple experimental events where difficulty was determined by SCL, and the though is that they will be moving that direction full time in the near future.  
    Personally, I was almost always playing SCL 8, but I have dropped down to SCL 7 occaisionally in the theory that the competition for top placement will be lighter.  I have no evidence to support this, just my own presumtion.

• ZBarJonesZBarJones Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    In the event with Lockjaw as the main reward, I dropped a clearance level hoping to place higher. Yea..didnt happen. I finished about 4 spots worse ,essentially knocking me out of the top ten. I went back to the top clearance level then next event. But I do think a lot of players who already have every thing imaginable might not try to hard till a new character comes out and then just run all over the rest of us. 

• veneretioveneretio Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Wow.... good to know that I've been getting less rewards doing SCL 7 for no reason. Joy. I did SCL 8 for a while then thought I saw easier teams in SCL 7 so I switched...  

I'm so confused... it's super annoying trying to figure where I'm suppose to be playing.
  • Blindman13Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    veneretio said:
    Wow.... good to know that I've been getting less rewards doing SCL 7 for no reason. Joy. I did SCL 8 for a while then thought I saw easier teams in SCL 7 so I switched...  

I'm so confused... it's super annoying trying to figure where I'm suppose to be playing.

Now you will see easier teams in SCL7. Shortly after I made that post, they implemented the SCL based scaling. No matter what your roster strength is, everyone in your SCL gets the same level enemies. SCL 9 is harder than SCL 7, and you get the better rewards for the higher difficulty.  If SCL8 feels hard to you, or takes too much time/health packs, then stick with SCL7 until you build your roster some more.