Unfortunately side effect of raising max progression rewards (from player POV)

Options

So with the Max Progression raised from 4x clears, to 5x clears, that means for events such as the upcoming Strange Sights PvE.

While this isn't that big a deal normally, with any 4* new character introduction though, it'll mean that if you "miss" the new character reward, then you'll miss the maximum progression in the next event.  (I doubt you can get max progression w/o the Essential 4*).

Previously, if you cleared everything but the 4* essentials, earned the 4* reward, and then cleared everything else, you would get max progression (barely, I've done it).

So, to summarize, I think it sucks that the max. progression change happened at least in this situation (PvE after new event), because if you miss the 4* reward, you are **** on earning the 22CP reward at the end of the event.

P.S. I don't know if anyone else has made the same observation, because the boards have become so much different than the previous version.

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You can still hit maximum progression while missing the 4* essential: I did it in the last run of Meet Rocket & Groot, where I was mising Venom.

You should be able to get 4* reward while doing the middle sub, which means you've only missed out on a single node from the first sub-event.  There is easily enough points to make up the difference (and you should have a bit of extra time during the first sub, as you've got one less node to play).

With that said, I wish missing maximum progression wasn't such a big deal.  This anxiety is purely because the rewards are so back-loaded.  If you don't think you can make it to the finish line, there is far less motivation to try at all.

I'd prefer if the rewards were evened out and extended, so you'd get incrementally more rewards for incrementally more effort.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I believe the rule of thumb for missing the 4* is that for each sub that you are missing the essential, instead of doing 5 clears of all nodes, you have to do 7 clears of all the other nodes to hit a comparable point total. 

IIRC, you can get the 4* progression cover late on day 2 (day 3 or 4 for a 7 day event), so making full progression, while definitely more work, should absolutely be achievable. 

EDIT - I have also personally done this, with the Gamora 4* cover, so it's not just theory. :smile:

There is also a thread or two around here somewhere with a full breakdown of PvE sub/event points, how late you can join, what you need to do if you are missing the 4* cover, etc. I can't find it for the life of me, but someone else might be able to provide a link to it. 
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    ***Moving this over to Events forum as it is discussing progression checkpoints in events***
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If you play day 1 to green checkmarks (4+2 clears plus letting points recharge in between), you'll get enough points to be on perfectly on track for max progression.

On day 2, you'll get the 4* progression reward and from then on you can play the 5 clears however you want.

And here's the link MakersMake mentioned:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/64914/analysis-of-the-new-pve-progression-rewards