Beginner 4* characters?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
What are some good characters to focus on when trying to build me some 4*'s? With Bonus Heroes I can pinpoint what I need / want. I'm doing Red Hulk now and he'll be done as my first 4* champ within weeks. What other 4* would really make a difference for me? It's not like I'm going to set Mr. Fantastic as my favorite.

Comments

• Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Take a look at the various lists and compilations - xenodragon, jarvind, and ebolamonkey have great writeups on the 4* tier.

IMO (and Rulk was one of my first) - find someone who pairs well off of him color wise.  Rulk has a fairly limited and specific skill set*....if you aren't using it, he's just a meat shield.  Cyclops would come to mind as the secondary that I run most often with Rulk - they complement each other well.  

*I have 7 champs incl him - 6 have green AOEs.  So while it's easy to find a boosted one, my teams overlap too much still.   But that's RNG for ya.
  • FoxInSox
    FoxInSox Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    Peggy should be your number 2. Otherwise, Cyclops would be a good fallback, though not as good as Peggy. Peggy is widely considered the best 4 star (though strong arguments can be made for Iceman as well). Additionally, her R/Y/B color scheme compliments Red Hulk's Passive Red + G/B colors perfectly. Almost a full rainbow team with 2 of the 5 best 4 stars in the game. You will get skipped a ton with this team, especially if at least one of them is boosted.
  • Alkyoneus
    Alkyoneus Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Peggy is a fantastic starter 4*.
    I'd obviously list Iceman as he is the single most useful 4 in the game.
    Star-Lord is very useful now as a support character, and can really speed your team up.
    Jean Grey is another very useful character, due to her unique abilities.
    Lastly, I'd highly recommend Captain Marvel, she has a ton of useful skills.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My goal as a 4* transitioner is to get as many of my 4*s as possible to the point where they can win crash of the titans and get a legendary token.  I'm prioritizing this over getting 4* champions.  My other criterion is to avoid (for bonus heroes) any character who has 5 covers in something.  For me, then, a character who is 3/3/3 is a good candidate over an otherwise superior 4* who is 5/2/2 or 0/1/1.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I level whoever I finish and then move to the next so my order is a little out of wack but I would suggest leveling anybody who is useful not fully covered.  Peggy, Nova, Iceman, Chulk, 4-Thor, RHulk, Cap Marvel, Colson, Star Lord and Medusa.  Some of these are useful even with a few covers (Colson, Medusa and Cap Marvel) other need 8+ or specific covers to be effective (I stiill dont have a yellow for Peggy so even though I have 5 in the other two she does not get much use from me)
  • hopper1979
    Options
    What colors are in Blade his red is great and if you have 3+ covers he is definitely usable.  Before you start putting too much iso into your 4's are you done with the 3's?  You run the risk of scaling issues if you do not have a good base of maxed 3's.  Focus on them first.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If you are starting out on the usable 4* journey, set your BH to one of the good characters in the Latest 12 that will be there for a few months. Captain Marvel is my first choice for that since she's got self-acceleration, conditional AOE, strike generation, tile buffing, and a dual-color-costed nuke. 

Alternatively, Medusa because she has so much upside versus some incredibly painful PvE nodes and will also be in tokens for a good portion of the next year.

Blade-4 is projected to rotate at the end of July.
    AVenom and Medusa end of August.
    Carol end of September.

Given those... Carol and Medusa are top tier, Blade's a little below them. (I'm in the minority who enjoy AV's play but I don't promote him to others who dont' like the board shake craziness)
  • hopper1979
    Options
    You can slowly work on the 3's you have not finished, none of the ones you have left are all that good.  I agree with TetsujinOni, in his comments about priority, I got 5 Medusas last week so I an in the process of championing her now and she is very solid and fun to play but with the demise of Carnage she took a little bit of a hit as well. Gwenpool is a great control character so if you have a lot of covers in her (9+) she might be worth looking leveling fore the ones you have 6 in.  Make sure you get the codes off the forum, she sucks if you are just plugging in random symbols :) 
  • hopper1979
    Options
    I think you could start an argument about if Gwenpool is good or not she has great board control and she protects characters but if you are going the board control route then you team will probably be slow which is not popular at the moment, so if you like to stay healthy and minimize heath pack loss and don't like longer matches put some iso in her if you like quick high damage match hold off.  You can definitely start leveling Carol, she is very usable with the right people even with 6 covers you need countdown teammates so Loki, 3-Cap Falcon etc.  I did not mess with Medusa at low levels but if I had to guess she will be useful because of the nature of her powers so it wont hurt to try her out, either way you are not making a huge iso investment for either one at this point with 6 covers each.  If you like all three of those character I would also set all 3 as your bonus heroes.
  • UnsmashableTim
    UnsmashableTim Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options
    The big questions before you anyone else answers are 1. Do you PVE or PVP? 2. What's your plays type?  (ie you like big health or low ap cost,  passives, etc) 

Find characters that work with a variety of characters and have synergy. 

Best 4* for pvp is Peggy imo. Best 4* for pve is star Lord Imo. Best tank is red Hulk. Best low cost ap character is Nova. Best synergy is cyclops. All my opinion 
  • UnsmashableTim
    Options
    My regular team in simulator is red Hulk, Peggy and I 40. 6 yellow ap and 9 green ap will take out most teams 
  • UnsmashableTim
    Options
    I would not bonus any that have 5 covers in case you get that cover you have maxed and want to Murder the game... 

I also wouldn't do it for anyone currently winnable personally. 

Bearing that in mind, if I have to choose one listed, I vote for medusa

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Have you enjoyed playing Wasp in Prodigal Sun? She's leaving the token pool next week, so if you want to champ her she's probably needs to be a bonus hero to get there.

Medusa is a very solid suggestion too.

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    I again!
    btw, you'd say "Me again" in this case. Just so you know :)
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Whoever you get extra covers for.

Gwenpool is next to leave tokens, but she is amazing in boss battles, so may be worth it for that. Riri and Agent Venom are underrated, but not universally useful. Spiderwoman has her uses, but isn't in tokens any longer. Mordo and Fist? Meh. They're the next two I'll be champing, but I can't say I feel enthused by either.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    mexus said:
    So, here I am again.
    Now I have a bunch of the latest ones champed:
    Carol, Wasp, Coulson, Cloak / Dagger, Power Man, Medusa, Blade and also Red Hulk.

I have now chosen Rocket / Groot as my bonus hero but meanwhile collecting their covers I don't know which one to do build:
    I have 13 covers for: Gwenpool, Riri, Spider Woman, Mordo.

I have 12 covers for Iron Fist and 11 covers for Agent Venom.

Suggestions? Just take whoever I get extra covers for?

If it were me, I would hoard CP and LT (possibly HT too) until you have those 3 non-vaulted champed.  I would champ them in the order they will be coming out of circulation:
    - Gwenpool
    - Riri
    - Mordo

Spiderwoman is already out so don't champ her until you a gat a 14th from somewhere or until you have tons of spare ISO.

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Pair rulk with switch in PvE and he is a monster.  You might want a red/yellow/blue to go with him so Peggy is a great choice as mentioned before but Cyclops is good too.  Hulkbuster is nice too as he gives a decent black as opposed to yellow.  Punching people hard in the face never gets old!  The only issue is that none of the characters above are very fast per say.  If you really want to double down and looking for speedy clears, you could go with Iceman Rulk Switch (PvE only probably) and use Rulk as a green battery for Iceman and Switch as a purple battery for either Rulk or Iceman depending on where you needed the purple AP.  I think Iceman's green AoE potentially can do way more than Rulk's but is dependent on blue tiles etc. Iceman is arguably the best 4* in the game (usually back and forth with Peggy). 

I think Gwenpool is the best option for you of those listed. I agree, no need to champ Spiderwoman unless you get more covers for her at this point.  The rest of those characters are fairly bad.  Only champ them at this time if you get a lot of covers for them and don't have better 4* champ options.  The other thing to consider is your iso gain rate.  If you think you can get the iso to champ all of those characters without jeopardizing your ability to champ better 4* in the future, then great.  If not, don't be afraid to let some of them go unchamped.  As long as you have the 13 covers, you can always go back and champ them later if you have spare iso. 
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's too bad as a beginner, you don't have as much of a chance to cover the 4*s with self heal. XFDP, X-23, XFW, and MrF go a long way as far as saving health packs. My first 4* was XFDP and having him with the old OML allowed me to keep playing pve and pvp. 

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    ***Moving this over to Roster and Level Help under Tips and Guides as this thread is more appropriate for that forum***
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    So, here I am again.
    Now I have a bunch of the latest ones champed:
    Carol, Wasp, Coulson, Cloak / Dagger, Power Man, Medusa, Blade and also Red Hulk.

I have now chosen Rocket / Groot as my bonus hero but meanwhile collecting their covers I don't know which one to do build:
    I have 13 covers for: Gwenpool, Riri, Spider Woman, Mordo.

I have 12 covers for Iron Fist and 11 covers for Agent Venom.

Suggestions? Just take whoever I get extra covers for?

Out of those, Spider-Woman is probably the best. She's not a direct damage powerhouse, but black is more or less 4 turns of invincibility, and her traps hit really hard.

After that is probably Gwenpool. Then it's a tossup.

If you want to set a bonus vaulted character or two, Peggy and Iceman are probably the best options.