Biggest misunderstanding about Shield Clearance Levels

Orion
Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
Now that is been confirmed that a 2nd PvE test of the "scaling being tied to Clearance Level" is coming in the next event, it's time to discuss the biggest misunderstanding about Shield Clearance Levels:

Just because you CAN play at a certain Clearance Level, doesn't mean that you SHOULD play at that level.

I saw a lot of comments during the last test that the CL8 scaling was out of control for most rosters that qualified to play in CL8.  And admittedly, that was true.  Even though scaling topped out at less than the level 400 that people were expecting, someone at Shield Rank 47 had no chance at most of the nodes during that test.  So then those people should be playing CL7.  Or CL6.  Or whatever level they feel comfortable playing.  No one is forcing anyone to play at a certain level.  If you're just going for progression and you'll play the nodes when and where you can, then jump into CL8 if you want a challenge.  Or play CL7 if you don't.  It's entirely up to you.

As for placement, again, your preference is entirely up to you.  Yes, 5* players will drop down to CL7 and CL6 so they can guarantee themselves a higher placement.  I think this is the fault of the devs that stubbornly limit 4* rewards to top 10 finishers in CL8.  There's no reason for the CL8 placement rewards to be that stingy.  But until they change, you have to ask yourself what Clearance Level is best for you.  Maybe you should drop down to CL6 so you can face easier enemies and place higher than you would in CL7 or CL8.  Maybe you'll try CL8 to give you the best rewards for wherever you place.

For me, placement is secondary to more important quality of life issues.  It takes me 2-2.5 hours to do 7 clears in a typical 1-day CL8 sub.  It takes me about 45 minutes to do the same in CL7.  So I can get slightly less rewards for far less effort.  That matters to me.  It may not matter to others, and that's ok too.  I'm going to see what the levels for each CL have been adjusted to before I make my decision on where I'm going.

Bottom line - "dropping down" in CL is a choice made by each person for reasons that are entirely their own.  No one is forced to play at a certain level.  It's a risk/reward strategy that each person takes into account.  If you don't like 5* players taking up the placement slots you normally win in CL7, then drop down to CL6 and do the same thing to the 3* transitioners at that level.  Or play CL8 and hope that enough people have dropped down that you can get decent placement there.  Your choice.  No one else's.

Comments

• Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    There comes a point where dropping down serves you roster no benefit. I am 1st in my bracket on this 7 day but when multi 5 star drop down in CL 6 and destroy everything in 10 mins I only make top 20. Dropping down to 5 gets me nothing.  They need to keep level 100 people out of 6.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Great post overall.  Totally agree, especially with this line:
    Orion said:
    Yes, 5* players will drop down to CL7 and CL6 so they can guarantee themselves a higher placement.  I think this is the fault of the devs that stubbornly limit 4* rewards to top 10 finishers in CL8.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is also the fault of the devs for opening up the CL's at such early shield levels.  And when they did the first test for Clearance based scaling, they opened up CL8 to even smaller Shield levels... that made absolutely no sense to me.

The rewards need to be increased to keep the higher rosters in the higher CL's.

The Shield levels required to enter the higher CL's should be increased.

There should be a Shield level cap for each level... if your shield level is greater than ??, you can't enter CL?.  You can only enter CL? or greater. 

Otherwise, exclude certain rarities at certain CL. 

How many would drop from CL8 if you couldn't use your 5*?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    There should be better placement rewards in SCL 8. It can be frustrating to play a PVE and make much higher than the newly increased max prog (say 1.2%, maybe even 1.3% or 1.4% or more) and only finish with a few 3* covers for my effort.
  • broll
    Even more than better rewards for SCL8 there should be noticeable difference between 7 & 8.  The jump is a joke, I don't know the exact numbers off hand but it's small amounts of ISO and HP.  The recent change to progression helped some, but it's still a hard sell to volunteer for harder gameplay with minimal increased rewards.

That being said I shouldn't be in the top SCL because my roster isn't top tier, however I would think that if 9 & 10 exist 8 would be where my roster would naturally lead me.  Opening up 9 and or 10 would help some as well the expanding the jumps between levels.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I have to admit, the recent changes involving the additional resources being given out for CL8 were pretty nice IMO. Especially for 7-dayers, I love that there's 4 R&G Covers, 2 Bl4des, 2 Heroics, 2 Event tokens, and 73 frickin CP. That's pretty damn awesome I'd say. 

I only have 8 4-stars left (not including G4mora & R&G) that aren't fully covered, so it's not very often that I actually "need" to get t10 any more. Since I don't need the high placement, why even bother to subject myself to less rewards and alliance event tokens? When they ran the test, my harder nodes started out at much higher levels than I'm used to, but the end scaling still ended up the same. Having the trivials locked at Level 35 was invaluable when it came to finishing my clears somewhat fast. I'm all for it. 
  • broll
    bbigler said:
    Orion said:

Bottom line - "dropping down" in CL is a choice made by each person for reasons that are entirely their own.  No one is forced to play at a certain level.  It's a risk/reward strategy that each person takes into account.  If you don't like 5* players taking up the placement slots you normally win in CL7, then drop down to CL6 and do the same thing to the 3* transitioners at that level.  Or play CL8 and hope that enough people have dropped down that you can get decent placement there.  Your choice.  No one else's.
    I couldn't disagree more.  Let me explain your logic in a metaphor.  If there's a big bully at school that picks on you and steals your lunch money, that's OK because it's his choice and he has a right to do so.  If you don't like it, then find some kids smaller than you and just pick on them and steal their lunch money.  Don't feel bad, because it's your choice.

Well guess what?  Your choices hurt other people and you don't have a right to do that. 
    Are you suggesting that people drop down truly just to troll?  Do you have evidence of this?  From my experience on the forums and in game people drop down for a few reasons and that's not one:
    1.  Easier placement.
    2.  Better reward to effort ratio.
    3.  Not wanting the higher difficulty in SCL tests.

Both of the top two go away if they fix the rewards.  The 3rd is how it should work IMO.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    Orion said:

I couldn't disagree more.  Let me explain your logic in a metaphor.  If there's a big bully at school that picks on you and steals your lunch money, that's OK because it's his choice and he has a right to do so.  If you don't like it, then find some kids smaller than you and just pick on them and steal their lunch money.  Don't feel bad, because it's your choice.

Well guess what?  Your choices hurt other people and you don't have a right to do that. 
    That's a terrible metaphor rooted in your own sense of entitlement.  Those placement rewards do not belong to you.  You have to earn them.
    So, you think you're honestly "earning them" by going down to SCL7 with a 5* roster?  No, that's still wrong.  Those rewards are not meant for you; they belong to them. 
  • broll
    edited June 2017
    bbigler said:
    bbigler said:
    Orion said:

That's a terrible metaphor rooted in your own sense of entitlement.  Those placement rewards do not belong to you.  You have to earn them.
    So, you think you're honestly "earning them" by going down to SCL7 with a 5* roster?  No, that's still wrong.  Those rewards are not meant for you; they belong to them. 
    I can never get T10 because none of the time slots work with my schedule.  So is someone whose got more flexible work/home life bullying me by taking those rewards because they can change their schedule around?  Get real...
  • bbigler
    broll said:
    bbigler said:
    bbigler said:
    Orion said:

I can never get T10 because none of the time slots work with my schedule.  So is someone whose got more flexible work/home life bullying me by taking those rewards because they can change their schedule around?  Get real...
    If your schedule doesn't fit well with any PVE time slice, that's not the fault of other players.  Get real.
  • broll
    bbigler said:
    broll said:
    bbigler said:
    bbigler said:
    Orion said:

If your schedule doesn't fit well with any PVE time slice, that's not the fault of other players.  Get real.
    Based on your reasoning those rewards are meant for people in my time bracket and if someone outside my time bracket changes their schedule they're somehow stealing from me.  
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    bbigler said:
    bbigler said:
    Orion said:

Of course they are still earning them.  They are still fighting all the same enemies as quickly as they can.
  • bbigler
    broll said:
    bbigler said:
    broll said:
    bbigler said:
    bbigler said:
    Orion said:

Based on your reasoning those rewards are meant for people in my time bracket and if someone outside my time bracket changes their schedule they're somehow stealing from me.  
    That doesn't make any sense.  You choose the time bracket that's best for you.  If none of them are "best" for you, then complain to D3.  It's not the fault of other players choosing a time bracket that's good for them in order to clear at ideal times. 
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    bbigler said:
    broll said:
    bbigler said:
    broll said:
    bbigler said:
    bbigler said:
    Orion said:

That doesn't make any sense.  You choose the time bracket that's best for you.  If none of them are "best" for you, then complain to D3.  It's not the fault of other players choosing a time bracket that's good for them in order to clear at ideal times. 
    And it's not the fault of the players choosing the clearance level that offers the best rewards for the time they are willing to commit to the event either.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Moved to Events, Tournaments, and Missions since S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels directly pertain to events
  • bbigler
    bbigler said:
    broll said:
    bbigler said:
    broll said:
    bbigler said:
    bbigler said:
    Orion said:

And it's not the fault of the players choosing the clearance level that offers the best rewards for the time they are willing to commit to the event either.
    That is an ethical issue.  You may have the ability, within the current rules of the game, to go down to SCL7 because it's better for you, but that is at the expense of other players, giving you an unfair advantage.  That's the ethical problem; it's not a fair fight for top rewards.  They don't let heavy weight boxers go down to a lower weight class to compete for the title; that would be unfair as well, which is why there's a rule against it.  Hopefully, D3 will make that rule change as well. 
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    bbigler said:
    broll said:
    bbigler said:
    broll said:
    bbigler said:
    bbigler said:
    Orion said:

That is an ethical issue.  You may have the ability, within the current rules of the game, to go down to SCL7 because it's better for you, but that is at the expense of other players, giving you an unfair advantage.  That's the ethical problem; it's not a fair fight for top rewards.  They don't let heavy weight boxers go down to a lower weight class to compete for the title; that would be unfair as well, which is why there's a rule against it.  Hopefully, D3 will make that rule change as well. 
    But that also ties into one of the points that I made in the OP.  Rosters that barely qualify for CL8 can't compete with the scaling in these tests.  So they have to drop down.  Are you Shield Rank 47 or below?  Or are you able to play in CL8 as well?  That's one of my complaints with the CL system, CL8 has way too broad a range right now where it lumps in 3* -> 4* transitioners with the 5* whales.