Is SCL8 worth it?

Magic
Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
I wonder what other forum users think about comaprison between scl7 and scl8 in PvE. Is it worth to go to the Scl8?

My question comes from the simple fact that I can't get nowhere near the same placement in Scl8 then I get in Scl7 (not a complain here - i could get what I want there is I cared to grind like many scl8 players do). 

For an average, non release PvE in 7 i can finish in top50 with ease (a bit over max progression or around it). The same effort in Scl8 puts me at top200 level (30+championed 4*, no 5* above ~300).

I understand that I get the extra CP from max progression. But the top50 placement for each sub and overall nets lots of HP and extra ISO. So does it offset the CP? Or maybe the ISO and HP gain at top200 SCL8 is similar to top50 in SCL7?

I have no figures at hand to do the math but maybe somebody did already. What is the resources gain (progression wise) in SCL8 compared to SCL7? Anybody could share the top50 placement (subs and main) for the ongoing event so I could calculate the difference?

Comments

• Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Hell no.
    As long as we still have placement rewards, SCL7 remains superior.

You might consider going for SCL8 if you stop playing at 4* cover or sooner.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    In a 3 day event, SCL 8 Progression offers you ~1000 iso, 50 hp, 3 cp and 1 3* cover more than SCL 7. (7 day event is slightly more than double that)

Do the math whether the increased placement rewards make up for that difference.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've found that so many people drop to 6 and 7 now, SCL8 is often at the same or even lower level of competition. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not worth thinking about it right now when CL-based scaling is right around the corner.
    After that you'll be doing risk vs reward calculations based on enemy levels.
  • roberts_2
    roberts_2 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Yes, is worthy but boring. Too much boring. And fight against OP Juggernaut is the final boring experience :/
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    In 7 day events it's a no brainer going to scl 8.
    In shorter events, do as you like, but don't expect the competition to be any easier in Scl7 or even 6.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    The thing is - it's not expectation. It's reality for me. In Scl7 the same amount of work nets me top50 finish compared to top200 for scl8. Same scaling, same number of clears. I was enticed by the big CP-55 at the end of SCL8 but I think in great scheme it's a net loss on so much HP that the 6 (? - is it just 6 the difference) CP can't offset.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've flipped between CL7 and CL8 a bit, and while CL8 seems a bit more competitive it isn't enormously so.  What has made a difference is the new progression reward scheme.  That seems to have been pushing more people to score highly, which in turn means more effort to stay ahead of that group.

I don't have any data to back this up, but I suspect the spread of point totals over the top 50 in each bracket has shrunk too.  Probably not to the level of competition for top 5, but there is less room for slack than there used to be.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find the progression rewards in SCL 8 to be great. I'm consistently impressed that even doing 6 clears doesn't guarantee top 50 in sub placement. And doing 7 clears doesn't guarantee better than top 50 sub placement. It's a battleground out there!!!

I'm looking forward to the SCL-based scaling, as I think that will make things more fair. I'll no longer be competing in my SCL against people who are fighting enemies that are half as difficult as mine. We'll all be doing the same slog. And I'll be rewarded and not punished for having a powerful roster.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    For new releases, it's almost a no-brainer to drop down to SCL 7, because there's no way I'll break top 100 in SCL 8.  For everything else, it depends on how badly I need HP at the time since T50 is much easier to achieve in SCL 7.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Stop playing S4.  If you aren't competing for T10 placement, and are just grabbing your green checks where you can for a bit over max progression then there is no reason to pick your end time based on when you are free to do opening and closing grinds.  Pick a less competitive slice, open and close when you can, and place much higher.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    I always play SCL8. I did worry about sub placement before moving up, but have found T50 just as achievable as in SCL7.

I do play fairly hard (always 6, sometimes 7 clears), and sometimes get T10 now, something I never even sniffed in SCL7. It seems like a lot of people drop down and that clears the way for people like me (early 3*-4* transition) to place reasonably well.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    What I don't understand (and didn't really research) is why it seems like it's harder to get a full clear at SCL7.  It seems like the points and rewards are the same in both.

I remember when I first started going SCL8, I started missing full clears even with 4.5 clears for each node.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017

I almost always play SCL8 for the extra placement covers. For top 50, you get three 3* covers instead of two and for top 10 you get two 4* covers instead of one (plus the 3* covers). Plus, SCL8 gives 3* covers for the top 300 instead of the top 50 (which is nice if I am unable to play part of a subnode for some reason).

I always do at least 6 clears, so in my experience, top 50 in SCL8 is about as easy as it is in SCL. For top ten, it depends on the event. Sometimes it's as easy as it is in SCL7, sometimes it's harder.

As mentioned, however, this all goes by the boards once they implement the new scaling permanently.

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I personally prefer S5 for PVE. It fits better with my schedule, so that I have the whole day to work on it.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    For me the biggest difference is the t50 alliance sub rewards.  SCL8 gives 2 event tokens while SCL7 only gives 1.  Not a huge difference, but an extra token per day is nice.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Moved to Events, Tournaments, and Missions since S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels directly pertain to events.