MPQ Sneak Peek: June 2017 Edition *Updated (6/28/17)

Options

Comments

• vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I get that the pve essential is gonna be skewed towards the latest 12 in rotation.  But if you're gonna feature a vintage 4* only once every 2 weeks, make them the good ones. 

Venom was a reward in one of the last 7-day events, maybe Gauntlet, which ran back in late February.  Meanwhile, Teen Jean hasn't been a pve reward in at least 7 months. 
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    mexus said:
    bluewolf said:
    mexus said:
    So tomorrow, around DDQ time?
    Will the Vintage store keep open for some kind of operlapping period or should we open any eventual Vintage tokens?
    Season start is usually about 12 hours after DDQ.  US EST is about 8 pm.  The Vintage store has a timeframe at the top of the screen, going until just around 1am Sat, US EST.

note: if you are concerned about opening 4* tokens with current heroes (power man, spider woman) that update happens approx 11AM US EST, or DDQ+5 hours.
    What I'm more concerned about is whether I should wait until season starts before opening my VINTAGE tokens or if the VINTAGE store will be gone by when the season starts.
    I have a few ones and wanted to wait for the new season so that I can bonus mark Star Lord *** and Rocket & Groot **** before flipping these tokens.
    If you have tokens, you will be able to open them even after the store is closed. You just won't have an option to purchase additional ones.
  • Shmoe50
    Shmoe50 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @Brigby, without a notice on the general info board that it was here, I thought it had been discontinued, since to me the announcements page would have ben the logical next place to find it. Please consider putting it back on the general page, where it is easy to see and find.  Thanks!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Brigby said:
    *(5/31/17) Brigby - Updated Versus events, Story events, Deadpool's Dailies, and added Marvel's article about Doctor Octopus

@broll I purposefully didn't link it to General Discussion to try and gauge how many players will migrate to the Events section. The intent of shifting the Sneak Peek to the Events page was to try to populate other sub-forums more, and reduce the dependence on General Discussion for information. If I keep a redirect link on General Discussion, then that defeats the purpose.

Then it should be noted that while I DID come here and find this thread, it was an unnecessarily frustrating experience. I don't think the dependency on General Discussion for information is a bad thing, and would argue that having ONE common area for important information is logically superior, especially on a platform (web forum) explicitly designed for the share of information between users.

I get that there's a desire to increase traffic to sub forums, but cannibalizing the efficiency of locating useful or important information is extremely counter-intuitive.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.
    I have to agree with this.  Generating traffic to other sub forums just cause doesn't seem to add much merit.  I go to the sub forums when I need something specific.  I go to general discussion every day.  Things I look at regularly should be in general discussion.  All this change does is frustrate me and make me feel the forum has been steadily getting less useful since the forum format swap.  As JHawkInc said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Please stop trying to fix things that aren't broke and focus on the so many things that actually are.
  • bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Shouldn't 3Star Lord be added to DDQ rotation  after 3 Hawkeye? Or does that wait until after he hits tokens for a full season?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    -snip-

I purposefully didn't link it to General Discussion to try and gauge how many players will migrate to the Events section. The intent of shifting the Sneak Peek to the Events page was to try to populate other sub-forums more, and reduce the dependence on General Discussion for information. If I keep a redirect link on General Discussion, then that defeats the purpose.
    Then it should be noted that while I DID come here and find this thread, it was an unnecessarily frustrating experience. I don't think the dependency on General Discussion for information is a bad thing, and would argue that having ONE common area for important information is logically superior, especially on a platform (web forum) explicitly designed for the share of information between users.

I get that there's a desire to increase traffic to sub forums, but cannibalizing the efficiency of locating useful or important information is extremely counter-intuitive.

@JHawkInc @broll
    I agree that having one common area where important information is found is logically superior. That is the intent behind the News & Announcements section. To that end, I can link the Sneak Peek thread in that section from now on, in order to guide players to the Events page.

The issue with having all major discussions in General Discussion was that players ended up creating discussion threads of all different topics in that one sub-forum; Event threads above Character threads above Bug threads above Token threads. It eventually led to a very convoluted compilation of random topics, which also had the side-effect of pushing anything but the most popular topics off the front page faster.
  • Shmoe50
    Shmoe50 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks, Brigby!

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    JHawkInc said:
    -snip-

I purposefully didn't link it to General Discussion to try and gauge how many players will migrate to the Events section. The intent of shifting the Sneak Peek to the Events page was to try to populate other sub-forums more, and reduce the dependence on General Discussion for information. If I keep a redirect link on General Discussion, then that defeats the purpose.

@JHawkInc @broll
    I agree that having one common area where important information is found is logically superior. That is the intent behind the News & Announcements section. To that end, I can link the Sneak Peek thread in that section from now on, in order to guide players to the Events page.

The issue with having all major discussions in General Discussion was that players ended up creating discussion threads of all different topics in that one sub-forum; Event threads above Character threads above Bug threads above Token threads. It eventually led to a very convoluted compilation of random topics, which also had the side-effect of pushing anything but the most popular topics off the front page faster.
    @Brigby
    I'm not opposed to the link being in news and announcements. My personal opinion is that one of the things this forum and the previous one is several lacking is one source to read all official comments (those from you and the developers).  A few other games I played have those in one area and no where else for people who don't care about the conjecture and complaining to only see official comments.  Linking at least the topics you and devs create to News & Announcements would be a step in the right direction.

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I only found this post because Google suggested I read it. In what world does hiding news you mean to share make any sense at all? I don't mean to be negative about this, but maybe you don't need so many subforums. Maybe people like their general information in one place?
  • liminal_lad
    Options
    I know the developers don't want people to quit, but it has been feeling like that the last week. I feel like I'm ready to be done after the increasingly aggressive forum moderation (I thought it was extreme before but now I realize I had no idea how bad it could get!), the changes to difficulty based on slice (who would pick SC8 at this point, given the minimal difference in rewards?), and the changes to CP and increased grinding needed for PVE. This game is meant to be fun, and it's starting to feel like a part-time job with passive aggressive middle management.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm pretty sure maintaining a forum this size costs SOMETHING. If they have all these subsections and separate forums of the site, but no actual traffic going to them to justify the expense of creating them, then they are essentially wasting money by having these subsections there in the first place. Then if they remove them, SOMEONE is going to complain that they're not there, and the site should have a section for ___. I have no problem with them putting threads like this in a place that technically makes much more sense. I feel no sympathy for people who complain about a few more damn clicks. Talk about 1st world problems.  :/
  • liminal_lad
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Dude: They provide a service. We are their customers. I don't understand how so many people on these forums invert this idea. You tick off your customers enough, even if it's just with extra clicks or hidden information, they will either stop using your forums, or stop playing your game. So, yeah, they can do whatever they want, but it doesn't mean it will end successfully.

And if you decide to drive traffic to the other forums, you announce it first. Let people know you're doing it instead of just hiding it to see how finds it like some sort of strange scavenger hunt. [edit for clarity]
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The irony of trying to diversify forum traffic when some go to great efforts in downplaying the representation of forumites versus the larger player base.
  • liminal_lad
    Options
    @Brigby Have y'all considered asking people what they want? I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'd assume most people would prefer less forums and quick access to the information from the developers. Or keep the wide variety of forums but restrict your announcements to News & Announcements, Characters, and Events so we know where to look? Trying to find information shouldn't be its own PuzzleQuest. 

• Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is Meet Rocket & Groot permanently changing to 3 days? Or was that a 1 time change last time it ran?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:
    *(5/31/17) Brigby - Updated Versus events, Story events, Deadpool's Dailies, and added Marvel's article about Doctor Octopus

@broll I purposefully didn't link it to General Discussion to try and gauge how many players will migrate to the Events section. The intent of shifting the Sneak Peek to the Events page was to try to populate other sub-forums more, and reduce the dependence on General Discussion for information. If I keep a redirect link on General Discussion, then that defeats the purpose.

Would you consider creating a post in General Discussion called "Monthly (June) Updates"? It would contain all the redirect links of the game updates for the month (e.g. Sneak Peak, Pre Release Notes, Season Changes, Event Details, etc). This way there is only one post to avoid the General Discussion clutter of redirects and the players are still being directed to the appropriate sub-forum.
    @Punisher5784
    That's certainly an interesting idea. Just to ask for due diligence though, what would be the difference between a Monthly Update thread in General Discussion versus going through the recent posts in the News & Announcements section?

Have y'all considered asking people what they want? I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'd assume most people would prefer less forums and quick access to the information from the developers. Or keep the wide variety of forums but restrict your announcements to News & Announcements, Characters, and Events so we know where to look? Trying to find information shouldn't be its own PuzzleQuest. 

@liminal_lad
    If we're talking about quick access to official announcements from us/the developers, then that is the intent behind the News & Announcements section.

Akari said:
    Is Meet Rocket & Groot permanently changing to 3 days? Or was that a 1 time change last time it ran?
    @Akari
    I can't say for certain whether that was a one-time change or not, however what I can say is that this upcoming event will return to a 4-day duration