Embalmed creatures out of nowhere on 3.1 node

Options
Machine
Machine Posts: 799 Critical Contributor

Hi all,

Did anyone also encounter an issue where Temmet matched an Embalmed creature out of nowhere? I haven't killed or discarded anything on his side (bounce only) and yet he embalmed a creature twice. With Anointed Procession, that's some cheating.

The first time it made my game freeze, where I had to quit. He matched a gem that should have triggered something, but the game just kept waiting for something. I could see empty spaces on the board where the gems were that he matched, not replaced yet by new gems. I had to force quit that one.

The second time I was able to beat him, but again he got an Embalmed creature out of nowhere.

Any ideas? Did I miss something or (yet) another bug?

Comments

• Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There are some cards in the new set which destroy cards from the top of a player's deck, an effect which is mostly irrelevant and thus easily forgotten.

In the first case, if the game crashed, it's clearly a bug one way or another, but the other case might have been legit. If you want to find out what's going on, keep a close eye on activated gems on the board. When new ones appear, have a look at what just happened, you'll either spot the culprit card or you'll at least get a clue what's triggering the bug.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @Machine

Moved to Bugs & Technical Issues thread
  • MisterPete
    MisterPete Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've seen this happen a few times as well, although I don't remember who the opponent was.  I hadn't killed/destroyed/exiled any creatures nor forced discard and embalmed creatures came into play.

The only thing I can think of is an opponent casting Unburden on themselves or using some other self discard.  You can actually set up a standard deck Sorin or Tezz2 (or Sarkhan but I think there's only 1 red embalm creature right now) to use this combo to see that it works.  Throw in Dark Petition and some high cost creatures for fun (that combo has worked since the beginning with Liliana1).  And theoretically Oketra's Attendant should be able to cycle to graveyard and embalm but it seems to be bugged, the embalm activation gem appears and then disappears.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure it is just a bug :)
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Cards like https://mtgpq.info/cards/WindsOfRebuke will put cards directly in the graveyard which apparently also triggers the embalm w/o the creature having ever been drawn or played. I just found this out tonight myself. If it is the way embalm is "supposed" to work or not I don't know, but it is what it is until D3 does something about it.
  • Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    stikxs said:
    Cards like https://mtgpq.info/cards/WindsOfRebuke will put cards directly in the library which apparently also triggers the embalm w/o the creature having ever been drawn or played. I just found this out tonight myself. If it is the way embalm is "supposed" to work or not I don't know, but it is what it is until D3 does something about it.
    That's the ones I was referring to. It uses the word "destroy", so I can only assume it's the intention. It even matches the behaviour in real MtG, where you can miill yourself to enable your embalm cards (and assorted other graveyard combos). Otherwise what's the point of milling yourself or your opponent anyway?
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    reinforced creatures that are bounced will sometimes
    bounce the top copy and destroy the other copies.

HH
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Irgy said:
    stikxs said:
    Cards like https://mtgpq.info/cards/WindsOfRebuke will put cards directly in the library which apparently also triggers the embalm w/o the creature having ever been drawn or played. I just found this out tonight myself. If it is the way embalm is "supposed" to work or not I don't know, but it is what it is until D3 does something about it.
    That's the ones I was referring to. It uses the word "destroy", so I can only assume it's the intention. It even matches the behaviour in real MtG, where you can miill yourself to enable your embalm cards (and assorted other graveyard combos). Otherwise what's the point of milling yourself or your opponent anyway?
    Yeah, I just didn't know if it was supposed to work that way. Bugs are frequent enough here that you have to question everything sometimes lol.
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 799 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just wanting to let you know I figured out how he got his Embalmed creatures (at least, in my case that is). I saw an Embalm gem appear right after his spell was countered by my Insidious Will. I guess that also "destroys" his spell and activates the Embalm ability. Hope that gives you some insight. Why the game crashed the first time is still a mystery to me.
  • Rogan_Josh
    Rogan_Josh Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There is an issue with Embalm being triggered in suspect ways. Bounce spells do trigger it (not just wind of rebuke's discard but that happends to). Also reinforcing embalm creatures will trigger multiple copies of embalm when it is removed which i'm pretty sure isn't how reinforce works. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've noticed that Bounce triggers Embalm as well.