Newish player- $10 a month, slots or vip?

Ryder
Ryder Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
edited May 2017 in Roster and Level Help
Hello everybody I'm still in my first month of mpq and since I play hours a day I wouldn't mind spending $10 a month on this game.
   If I can figure out how to upload my roster to show you I would but I don't know how, basically I only have about three or four 2* characters camped so far and was wondering if it would be more efficient to buy slots or vip once a month. Side note I am currently hoarding tokens except for standards

Comments

• TheDrStrange
    TheDrStrange Posts: 89 Match Maker
    $10 each month would get you 1,200 HP if you buy Agency Expenses twice or 2 Legendary Tokens, 6 Heroic Tokens, 10,000 ISO, 700 HP, and 9 CP if you did VIP. I think VIP is a better value, and you can still buy roster slots with the HP.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    If your budget is $10 per month, I recommend buying $20 worth of HP every other month for roster slots (2900 HP +1 CP vs 2400 HP if you're buying in increments of $5).  After you do that 2 or 3 times you'll have a lot of roster slots and can switch to monthly VIP.

In the early game, roster slots will be your biggest limiting factor.
  • philosorapt0r
    philosorapt0r Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Especially if you have the patience to hoard tokens (which will allow you to take maximum advantage of your roster slots eventually), go for the HP for slots at first.  Note: spending on a monthly basis to get auto-intercepts > more efficient purchases.  (Any purchase gives you all the intercepts for a month without watching a zillion ads, and intercepts add up to way more than VIP or HP in iso/hp.)
    Side note: ignore folks that suggest hoarding CP at your stage----as soon as you can, spend away to quickly max a Dr. Strange (and maybe some of IM40 / Iron Fist / 3Cap / Kamala Khan), as he'll help your clearing speeds immensely vs. goons.  If you favorite just him as a bonus 3* hero, even standards will build him for you fast enough.
  • Ryder
    I didn't think about $20 every other month, that's actually a good idea with the extra 500 HP. And so CP should be spent early game?
    Also a side question. Should I be focusing more on PvP or pve at this point? I kind of bounce between the two curently
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    *Moving this over to roster and level help*
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    $20 every other month is a better deal HP-wise, but philosorapt0r makes a really good point about monthly purchases for ad-free intercepts, which are a great source of additional HP, ISO, and a bit of CP. It might be a good idea to start with a $20 purchase to build up your HP supply, as it is the most limiting resource for new players. If you like intercepts, you could consider doing a $2 HP purchase the next month just to keep the intercepts flowing. VIP is better for when you're starting to champ 3*s and don't need HP for many roster slots.

If you don't mind the grind, I've found PVE to be a nice and steady inflow of resources and covers. With PVP, I think it's harder to get higher scores without a stronger roster and spending HP on shields, which I don't do. But if you have the time, it's worth it to get at least 400 points (or even better, 575 for the CP progression reward) per in-season PVP event to hit that Heroic 10 pack season progression reward. 
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    VIP

You'll be rolling in HP before you know it. There's a lot of HP available in the Prologue, as well as 2* champion farming, which you'll be doing quite soon.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ryder said:
    I didn't think about $20 every other month, that's actually a good idea with the extra 500 HP. And so CP should be spent early game?
    Also a side question. Should I be focusing more on PvP or pve at this point? I kind of bounce between the two curently
    No. Spending CP early is not a good idea. Especially spending it in the Legendary store. If you want to cover Strange or Thanos (20 CP per cover) quicker - maybe. But I would only consider it for this pair of 3* (maybe also IM40 and Switch) and only when you are a 3* player considering the beginning of 4* transition. If not - save the CP and you will thank me later ;)
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I think it depends upon how much you play.

My first thought was to just buy the HP to get slots since CP and tokens aren't that important starting out, but if you're playing a lot every day (as much DDQ as you can do, 4+clears of every PVP node you can clear. lightning rounds, dipping your toes in PVE), then you'll get quite a bit of HP from play and the extra benefits from VIP become worth it, I think. If you find yourself short, then wait for HP to go on sale; it happens 2-3 times per year. 

justsing's point on PVE vs. PVP with junior rosters is spot-on, although I think he's optimistic on how high you can go in PVP once you're moved out of the newbie brackets. A 2* roster is going to struggle to get to 300 points, but you get an elite token at 200 and an event token at 300 plus alliance awards which is OK.

Good luck; the main keys to success is to play every day and to not get too discouraged at the slow pace of growth. It sounds like you're on your way!
  • Ryder
    I greatly appreciate every ones feedback its been a lot of help. I purchased one Logan's loonie which brought me up to almost 30 slots. I have 50+ tokens hoarded and counting.

I think I'm mostly going to concentrate on pve but my current strategy is basically play the heck out of whichever is nearest to ending whether PvP or pve. This seems to work for me since I play constantly. I just wish covers dropped more often from PvP than they do
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Two other notes.

Regarding command points, if you ever find your case of needing 1 cover to champ a three star character and have a different one rotting on the vine, that is usually worth spending the CP on.  20 CP gets you the missing cover and the one that was rotting on the vine then turns into that characters first championship level which nets you a 'Latest Legendary Token' worth 25 CP.  Effectively, by spending the 20 CP in that instance, you gain 5 CP.

Second thing, I apologize if you mentioned this, find an alliance.  Typically a public alliance will be good with a newer player as long as you play which it sounds like won't be a problem for you.

Good luck and welcome.