Working as intended?(Iceman and Thanos)

zaku
zaku Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
edited May 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
So since firing Bob's blue would destroy the cd tile it generates when used a second time, it turns out that you can continue getting that sweet, cheap damage if Thanos' purple is active. Haven't tried this with Kingpin or other cd removers yet. It seems that Thanos has priority of what proccs first. Is this how it's supposed to work?

edit: Side note, adding St4rlord to this team seems like it would be a nightmare to fight

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Seems reasonable to me. Keep in mind this applies to both teams to, so both you and your opponent can keep Punching your snowmen to your heart's content.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    You could also use thanos purple first and then stun lock the whole enemy team with 18 blue ap.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm fairly sure this is simply an artifact of how the powers work - when there is a CD out Iceman's blue does damage and removes the CD tile.  Thanos prevents the latter.  It interacts weirdly with a lot of the conditional powers - for example Black Bolt cannot create charged tiles when Thanos' CD is out, but if there are enough charged tiles out already he does the damage/turn thing.

The only way to "fix" this is to make Thanos' CD stop the power entirely - but as far as I know it only stops powers that just interact with the board, not interact with the board and do something else...
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    I do this with kingpin all the time, it's awesome

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    evade420 said:

And when they released Green Goblin they changed Kingpin so he wouldn't break their precious fortified countdown mechanic... Guess we should be thankful Thanos didn't lead to downgrades across the board.
  • zaku
    evade420 said:

So Kingpin doesn't actually destroy the cd but still gets damage as though he did?
  • Vhailorx
    GrimSkald said:
    I'm fairly sure this is simply an artifact of how the powers work - when there is a CD out Iceman's blue does damage and removes the CD tile.  Thanos prevents the latter.  It interacts weirdly with a lot of the conditional powers - for example Black Bolt cannot create charged tiles when Thanos' CD is out, but if there are enough charged tiles out already he does the damage/turn thing.

The only way to "fix" this is to make Thanos' CD stop the power entirely - but as far as I know it only stops powers that just interact with the board, not interact with the board and do something else...
    This mechanic makes it really important to distinguish between powers that "do X effect to the target AND affect the board in some way" (like iceman blue) and powers that, for example "remove X number of tiles from the board doing X damage for each one" (like xfw black).

Thanos will completely disable the latter type of ability.  But will potentially improve or weaken the former type (depending on whether the board effect is beneficial or harmful).

Of the top of my head here are a few synergies:

Kate Bishop black (cast after thanos to avoid placing the self damage CD)
    Bake/hawkguy purple (cast thanos after kate to avoid removing any of the strike tiels)
    OML black after transform (cast after thanos and keep those strike striles)
    Iceman blue (as discussed)
    Daken blue (cast after thanos to preserve the strikes)

• LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    I hope they don't change this - it adds an element of strategy to the game that we need since the Devs are particularly slow to give us (except in the form of bugs).

* - I did like the Thanos Boss mechanics, so props there
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Wow, never thought to try this. I was noticing that AV's Alien Weakness wasn't destroying any tiles during the Thanos Boss Battle while it was activated. I think it's the way Thanos purple is worded that can make it really ambiguous. 
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I've said this over and over again but lots of people don't seem to get it.

Infinite Power is 5* Thanos' best power.  The opponent is locked down for 4 turns plus the damage boost plus lots of interesting combos.
  • byc
    Wow, never thought to try this. I was noticing that AV's Alien Weakness wasn't destroying any tiles during the Thanos Boss Battle while it was activated. I think it's the way Thanos purple is worded that can make it really ambiguous. 
    It's not ambiguous at all.  It states only Thanos can change tiles, which is true.  BTW, Infinite Power locks down the board to only that Thanos.  An opposing 5* Thanos cannot fire powers either.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    You could also use thanos purple first and then stun lock the whole enemy team with 18 blue ap.
    I would stun one guy first, then use Thanos Purple, then punch the snowman the other two people rather than stun them.
  • Vhailorx
    JVReal said:
    Vhailorx said:
    I would stun one guy first, then use Thanos Purple, then punch the snowman the other two people rather than stun them.
    Thatcs a great idea, as long as the punch does enough damage to down the enemies.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    byc said:
    It's not ambiguous at all.  It states only Thanos can change tiles, which is true.  BTW, Infinite Power locks down the board to only that Thanos.  An opposing 5* Thanos cannot fire powers either.
    The "change tiles" part is ambiguous. It just says "destroyed or changed", and there's a lot of powers in this game that "change" tiles in many different ways. Change can mean creating countdowns, changing colors of tiles, or even shuffling them. All I'm saying is that it wasn't super obvious that it would apply to ALL of those things, since the power description doesn't go into that kind of detail. It usually does. 
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    byc said:

Infinite Power is 5* Thanos' best power.  The opponent is locked down for 4 turns plus the damage boost plus lots of interesting combos.
    You lost all credibility with this statement. His black, far and away, is his best power for any sort of competitive play in PVE/PVP. In fact, it may be the best power in the entire game.
  • byc
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    byc said:

You lost all credibility with this statement. His black, far and away, is his best power for any sort of competitive play in PVE/PVP. In fact, it may be the best power in the entire game.
    Of course I don't have credibility.  I'm posting anonymously on a message board.
  • zaku
    edited May 2017
    Also, traps are weird too. For example, with Fury, while Thanos purple is active, if the enemy triggers a trap tile, they take the full damage of all the traps, but only the one that was matched or destroyed disappears. I was able to keep stacking traps on the board. It was glorious
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

TUs may or may not work.  I was fighting a 5* Thanos team and they fired a TU that worked fine - I believe it created a CD or Charged tiles or something.  I'll pay attention next time and possibly file a bug report.

I was curious as to whether it was "Thanos" or "Your Thanos."  If it was the first, then placing a purple tile would not have stopped Boss Thanos from placing an Infinity Gauntlet tile, for example.

As a counter-point to being the best power in the game - sure it does lock down things but I can match it away about 50% of the time (and frequently I have characters that have powers that don't rely on board control.) I'm not saying it's bad, I do think it's quite a good power, but there are definitely ways to mitigate it.

• Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Thanos and OML work very weirdly together with his purple as well. If you fire purple, you cannot fire OML black, it will say 'this power will have no effect' and stop you. The AI, however, can fire Thanos purple and then OML black, ending their turn and doing nothing. I don't know why it works differently, but I like it.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    zaku said:
    evade420 said:

So Kingpin doesn't actually destroy the cd but still gets damage as though he did?
    Yes exactly . It's awesome.  What I like to do is fire kingpin yellow then Thanos purple then kingpin black. It dosent remove any countdown tiles