Genuine Question for Devs to help future roster planning

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards

It would be nice if @Brigby could pass this question on to the devs and obtain an answer.

Q: Will any character who reaches the 10% usage threshold be nerfed?

Really, we could do with knowing this well in advance then we can plan better.

Thanks

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Suppose they say yes, that it's a hard line they won't let characters cross again.

How do you keep track of how often characters are used to make sure you don't roster someone that will get nerfed for crossing that line?

You're requesting completely useless information.
  • OneLastGambit
    edited April 2017

It's not useless. If I know that they are intending on sticking to this precendent then that will effect who people decide to level. You're fine in the 4* tier because the nature of boosts theres plenty of variety in that tier so (in theory) usage should be fairly even. No boosts in 5* mean that everyone in that tier will use whichever is most efficient all the time. If you then know they will be nerfed in future one might decide to forgo that tier entirely.

Either way be nice to know if there is a strong potential for your hard earned characters to become much less useful and competitive in future.

As for your issue of how can we track it? Simple devs can tell us. Imagine how diffierent thhings might have been if devs had stated 4-6 months ago

"Hey you are all using oml too much, decrease your usage for the next 3-4 months or we will have to nerf him." The character might have remained and it would have had the same effect. Hell they could even print the stats, it might be an interesting read...

Any warning whatsoever would have been welcomed. Instead they allowed people to continue using him. They told us the reason they started balancing 5* tier was because some characters got less usage (because they were not useful) they did not say it was to try and stop OML usage, if they had people may have pointed out that this issue is in part because of distribution and often not a choice.

• dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    OneLastGambit said:

... to try and stop OML usage, if they had people may have pointed out that this issue is in part because of distribution and often not a choice.

People have been complaining about distribution since the age of the dinosaurs. That should have been the first priority of the day before they decided to nerf anyone.

Wreck our hard-earned workhorse character and offer no options but to sell him for an insulting and useless pittance as compensation. I don't think they could have planned a better way to upset their fanbase. 

Happy April Fools' Month.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    i don't know if everyone using oml really precipitated the nerf.  i think they were wondering why more and more peeps weren't buying health packs, then came to conclusion that he needed a nerf to boost sales.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even if it is a policy, written or unwritten, I doubt Demiurge would announce it. It would only make some players angry and nobody is going to willingly stop using a top tier character.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Many players were asking for a OML nerf although many (other) players keep explaining that OML isn't the strongest char. I think this nerf was made mostly to please those players who were convinced that opponent's OML was the only thing that prevented them to rank higher in PvP... I'm just speculating here but I think that the 10% overuse rate may be true but this argument was more likely not the first motivation of the decision
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just wait till the next nerf hits Thanos hard (probably both 5* and 3*). I use him as much as OML (they are paired) every day and I bet many players do the same. Since he is still a fancy toy for whales we might only see a nerf to the 3* version. 
  • OneLastGambit
    Magic said:
    Just wait till the next nerf hits Thanos hard (probably both 5* and 3*). I use him as much as OML (they are paired) every day and I bet many players do the same. Since he is still a fancy toy for whales we might only see a nerf to the 3* version. 

Mine gets used daily at least 16 times on the easy nodes
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    Magic said:

Same here, and the past two days, even post-nerf, my goon squad of champ 3hanos, champ Dak3n, amd lvl 291 oml at 1/3/1, has still been killing it on pve, no extra health packs necessary

As for pvp, I normally don't use oml as much for that, as he and my other better covered 5* are under lvl 300 until I have enough covers to champ multiple to avoid srewing up my mmr/scaling.

Edit: it has always been unusual for me to pop his claws, as I can usually get other, deadlier powers off quick enough, but, when I have, I'm liking the decrease in yellow to 6.

• OneLastGambit
    JablesMc said:
    Magic said:

Same here, and the past two days, even post-nerf, my goon squad of champ 3hanos, champ Dak3n, amd lvl 291 oml at 1/3/1, has still been killing it on pve, no extra health packs necessary

As for pvp, I normally don't use oml as much for that, as he and my other better covered 5* are under lvl 300 until I have enough covers to champ multiple to avoid srewing up my mmr/scaling.

Exactly. All I did was sell OML (and improve Strange and BSSM <he is also indirectly nerfed too> with the tokens) and swap him out for Daken instead. Same effect and I still don't need health packs either.
  • JablesMc
    How do you figure its an indirect BSSM nerf? He's my most covered 5 at 3/4/2, but I hardly use him. I feel like he's kinda trash, and would LOVE to be proven wrong/given suggestions.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    JablesMc said:
    How do you figure its an indirect BSSM nerf? He's my most covered 5 at 3/4/2, but I hardly use him. I feel like he's kinda trash, and would LOVE to be proven wrong/given suggestions.

BSSM's big value is that he neutralizes strike tiles. With the OML respec, strike tiles are even less relevant in the 5* tier. BSSM is an excellent counter to OML and Phoenix, but not to the newer fivestar characters.
  • JablesMc
    Gotcha, and actually, this is part of the reason I don't use him much. Blue and green are too expensive to be effective, and I don't usually encounter insane strikes enough to justify wasting a spot for his purple at 2 covers.
  • Quebbster
    JablesMc said:
    Gotcha, and actually, this is part of the reason I don't use him much. Blue and green are too expensive to be effective, and I don't usually encounter insane strikes enough to justify wasting a spot for his purple at 2 covers.
    I fight him on occassion in PvP and with 5 Purple covers he can be... mildly annoying for my OML/Phoenix. But he's rarely a problem, I just hit him first and focus on one of the others when he goes invisible. The Automotive Artillery can be annoying though.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    My guess is the 10% threshold was just their chosen stat used to justify a nerf. I don't necessarily think the next character to hit 10% gets nerfed, or the next nerf to require a 10% usage. OML still heals, what if he still gets used?

Assuming this was not about health packs, what stat do you think would justify a nerf? I think the defense win rate in pvp would be the only thing that might require a character to be nerfed. If the AI was winning consistently with OML, then maybe he should have been nerfed. It kinda sounded like non 5* level players were using OML too much and for some reason they didn't want that.
  • Quebbster
    Straycat said:
    My guess is the 10% threshold was just their chosen stat used to justify a nerf. I don't necessarily think the next character to hit 10% gets nerfed, or the next nerf to require a 10% usage. OML still heals, what if he still gets used?

Assuming this was not about health packs, what stat do you think would justify a nerf? I think the defense win rate in pvp would be the only thing that might require a character to be nerfed. If the AI was winning consistently with OML, then maybe he should have been nerfed. It kinda sounded like non 5* level players were using OML too much and for some reason they didn't want that.

Maybe they looked at who people picked as their favorite heroes and realized everyone and their mother wanted OML covers if they didn't have a useable one already...
  • OneLastGambit

Quebbster said:
    JablesMc said:
    I fight him on occassion in PvP and with 5 Purple covers he can be... mildly annoying for my OML/Phoenix. But he's rarely a problem, I just hit him first and focus on one of the others when he goes invisible. The Automotive Artillery can be annoying though.

Like pretty much everyone, in the hands of a player he can be very effective. In the hands of the AI not so much. Though I will say that when you have only 1 character left to beat and it happens to be Spidey, be prepared to be annoyed. He spends a lot of the time invisible for 1 turn so wearing him down takes a while.
  • JablesMc
    just tried out switch/bssm/gg, went very well...
  • OneLastGambit
    JablesMc said:
    just tried out switch/bssm/gg, went very well...

Oddly spidey does pair very well with Gobby. Personally I wouldn't enjoy sticking a 3* in my 5* team (unless you're below that tier) but I've used that team before and it's fun.
  • Quebbster

Quebbster said:
    JablesMc said:

Like pretty much everyone, in the hands of a player he can be very effective. In the hands of the AI not so much. Though I will say that when you have only 1 character left to beat and it happens to be Spidey, be prepared to be annoyed. He spends a lot of the time invisible for 1 turn so wearing him down takes a while.

True dat, very few characters are played well by the AI. But on defense he doesn't do particularly well against the very characters he is supposed to counter.

But this makes me feel less bad about my 4/4/4 BSSM. :)