Thanos' Court Death Ignores Protect Tiles

apmonte
apmonte Posts: 72
I paired a boosted 4* Luke Cage with Thanos and had several large protect tiles out that should have protected allies from most/all of the damage he does with Court Death. Peggy's Ultimate Soldier specifically says it ignores shield tiles, but Court Death says nothing about ignoring shield tiles. Court Death is really just a passive AoE, so what gives?

Comments

• bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Protect tiles only protect from enemy damage (see here: https://d3publisher.helpshift.com/a/mar ... -are-there ).
    Powers that damage allies (Carnage red, Ragnarok green, etc) have always ignored friendly protect tiles.

I believe the only way to actually block Thanos' damage to your own team is to use an active damage reduction power like Spider-Woman's black or Colossus' yellow.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    bigsmooth wrote:
    Protect tiles only protect from enemy damage (see here: https://d3publisher.helpshift.com/a/mar ... -are-there ).
    Powers that damage allies (Carnage red, Ragnarok green, etc) have always ignored friendly protect tiles.
    That's right.
    I believe the only way to actually block Thanos' damage to your own team is to use an active damage reduction power like Spider-Woman's black or Colossus' yellow.
    I haven't tested it, but I was under the impression these abilities also only helped with damage received from the enemies.

One way you definitely should be able to avoid it is to have a character airborne when the effect occurs. For example, you could use 4* Ironheart's green, sending her airborne, and if that triggers Court Death or another action does before she returns, any airborne characters should be protected from both damage and (in the case of 5* Thanos) stun.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    DayvBang wrote:
    I haven't tested it, but I was under the impression these abilities also only helped with damage received from the enemies.
    I have Spider-Woman champed and I have tested her black with Carnage and Thanos; she can definitely avoid damage from teammates. Of course, that doesn't help the third teammate. icon_razz.gif

I haven't tested Colossus, but I believe his yellow basically uses the same mechanic as Spider-Woman's, so it probably works. Not sure about Elektra's black.
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Yeap, protect tiles are ignored and also, last time I tried a few teams with Thanos, I was disappointed by the fact that 3* carol, hulk and rulk don't activate their passive when they take the damage from thanos...

Bummer
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skrofa wrote:
    Yeap, protect tiles are ignored and also, last time I tried a few teams with Thanos, I was disappointed by the fact that 3* carol, hulk and rulk don't activate their passive when they take the damage from thanos...

Bummer
    Yeah, that's been that way since characters that damaged their allies first showed up. I think Sentry was the first. It would be really open to abuse, otherwise.
  • apmonte
    apmonte Posts: 72
    Ok, thanks for the responses. I wasn't aware that protect tiles behaved that way. I guess the bright side of that is that your teams strike tiles don't increase damage to your allies when Court Death is activated. icon_lol.gif
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    self inflicted damage ignores both friendly protect tiles and enemy strike tiles