Board Drop of Death (crash bugs) [Android - Fixed in R133 | Devs Aware]

Options

Comments

• rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Here are a couple of crash images if you'd like to see a sample board state:

32168684715_c6ee4e1037.jpg

31327406824_b0070dcb1e.jpg
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't even get a notification pop up message. Just a straight CTD.
    126 crash reports in my game folder... on this computer.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I had three clearing pve today. It's probably the most annoying thing about this game for the past few months.
  • Twysta
    Options
    Just crashed 3 times in the last hour. icon_cry.gif
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I haven't had the app crash in months, possibly since I moved to iOS. Prior to that I was on Android, and experienced a crash once or twice a week.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I play on my phone and tablet (both Samsung). I have not experienced this particular crash. The one that I get is, sometimes at the beginning of the match, after the board drops, if I try choosing a different character to target instead of the first one that appears, the game crashes. Happens at least once a week. Haven't bothered to contact CS about it because I only loose some health and occasionally the boosts I use. Just don't think CS is going to rush to give me back any +1 boosts.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Steam users - yup, it's a real thing.

Based on my anecdotal evidence and sometimes terrible memory, it's more frequent for me when there are passives to resolve at the beginning (Peggy, Moon Knight, etc...). Also tends to happen if I try to switch targets too quickly at the beginning, but that could be that it crashed before I clicked and just resolved after.

Anyway, there was a window a few months back where it never happened, but last month or so it's been hitting again with some frequency.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's actually started happening a few times to me each day now.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mpqr7 wrote:
    It's actually started happening a few times to me each day now.

Me too. It may just be a function of how much we play, I don't know. I feel like it happens on lightning round seed teams more than anywhere else.

I also have a strong feeling that it's more likely to happen when I get a nice opening board (match 5, etc). Even knowing that this is probably 100% confirmation bias, it's hard to shake.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Happens to me daily on my Android phone. If I play enough in a given day, it happens multiple times.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So it sounds like this is a Android / PC problem? I'm another iOS user who's never experienced this.
  • Alkyoneus
    Alkyoneus Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Just had this happen AGAIN today. This time was a lightning round, causing me to have to reload the game and losing all of my seed teams. Not only does it cause 10% damge to my 5 stars which takes an hour to recover, but the loss of at least 1,000-2,000 ISO from seed teams being cleared.

For a game that people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on weekly AND has economy problems with ISO, this is completely unacceptable. Lightning Rounds are the best source of ISO in the game and to have that cut out from you because of a stupid bug is UNACCEPTABLE.
  • Twysta
    Options
    I've crashed 4 times today. The last time was at the end of a lightning round. I was struggling to find points so decided to hit a guy for 20 points. Crash. So I lose like 40-50 points. Dropped me out of top 25 possibly top 8.

+++ Just did it again. That's 2 out of 4 LR's it's crashed right at the end making me lose 40-50 points.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My guesses are: 1) a board with no moves is dropped? 2) a board with gems already matched is dropped? 3) the game has to phone home at start of each match and if response is not immediate a function has no input? 4) some process is going recursive causing overflow?

1) Nope. See the pic's of board with valid moves.
    2) Nope. Again see pic's.
    3) Trivial to test for PC player. Just before you start the battle pull your Ethernet cable and cut off network access. I don't believe the game has to phone home or do anything during a match because Phone players like me often go in/out of cell/WiFi during battles and the game just hangs at the end of the battle when it sends the update (win/loss) back to the server (I bet one could even cheat in a virtual machine by re-starting endlessly if you get bad board drops during battles).
    4) Maybe.

My personal theory (still trying to confirm by recalling exactly what I last saw) is what happens is the server is pushing an unsolicited message to the app that happens to arrive just when the battle starts. I never got these crashes until after I joined an alliance. Now when I get the crash I often notice on re-start that I suddenly have a waiting alliance message that wasn't there before I started the battle (as if the server suddenly pushed it when it realized my app went 'live' on my phone). I also often see on re-start a new message I didn't have before (ie store sale, new hero vault available, game update available etc) which is once again a new message/content pushed when my phone app went live that I didn't have/see before.

This theory could be VERY easily tested by a PC player who has Wireshark. You just run Wireshark and set up to capture data but don't hit the start button. Then you set up for a battle. Go back to Wireshark and start capturing data. Then click to start your battle. Wait 4-5 seconds to see if crash occurs. Stop the data capture and save it. Repeat a couple times for no crash scenario. Eventually capture a couple of crash scenarios. Compare the the capture data and see if when a crash happens there is anything different received from the server. If someone captured the data and uploaded I could easily tell if there was anything different.

NOTE: IOS doesn't support multi-tasking like Android/PC's do. Since IOS users are above are not experiencing the same crashes it points more and more to multi-threading issue which helps support my unsolicited messages from the server.

KGB
  • Twysta
    Options
    I definitely get crashes when there are no messages, so I don't think it's that.
    It might be one cause however, but not the sole cause.
    Any chance we can get Mr. Brigby to follow up on this?
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was getting regular crashes on Android. 1-2 per day, BDoD.

Weirdly enough, none since R117, though.
  • Cypr3ss
    Cypr3ss Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So as mentioned by aesthetocyst I had a look in my 'ship' folder and sure enough, bunch of dump files, however the frequency of these since ~October has increased significantly.

It's a fairly new machine but from this year between April & Sep (5 months) I've got 7 crash files. For October to now (3 months and a bit) there are 23, some where it's crashed multiple times in a day.

So I'm putting my money for the cause on something that got pushed out in a patch early October or late September and hasn't been identified as causing an issue.... yes i can bet on 'something', that's legit!

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
  • Twysta
    Options
    I've crashed 3 times today so far (it's 11:45am), on top of the 4 times yesterday. Every time I load up a PvP match it actually scares me... I get super nervous as the board drops. If I lose more points and placements due to crashing I might just stop playing until they fix it. Crashing 4 times a day isn't my idea of fun. icon_e_sad.gif

+++ 4 times now. (12:15)
    ++++ 5 times (12:15)
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got hit this morning on my 2nd fight of a two fight hop to put me over 900 for my first blue Kate Bishop cover. That was super frustrating to instantly go from 878 points to 845 points. Luckily my 3 hour shield was not on cooldown and I found someone else hopping who was worth 57 points. When I came back an hour later to fight them it gave me 63 points so I got my cover but it's still soooooo frustrating.

This was my 2nd "drop of death" crash in 2 days but the one yesterday just cost me my lightning round seed teams so not as scary as almost missing 900.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    Death Board happens to me at least every other day. Since I started playing. On Android. 2 years ago.

All I can say is : screenshots, screenshots, screenshots.