Hello D3 Go! Forum Users -

If you are still having trouble updating your birth date on your forum profile, then please follow the steps listed in the below discussion thread.

Please copy and paste this URL for details --> https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72653/new-forum-terms-of-service-steps-to-update-profile

It is very important that all users complete this process, otherwise they will unfortunately be unable to actively participate in the forum on their current account.

Thank you!

***** Thanos (The Mad Titan) *****

CthulhuCthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 352 Site Admin
edited March 2017 in Character Details
Thanos (The Mad Titan) Thanos_Icon.png
5 Star Rarity (Epic)
At Max Level: HP: 64964 72/78/85/597/522/671/4.0x

Court Death 0 blacktile.png AP
(PASSIVE) Thanos’ desire to please his mistress Death makes him a terrifying threat and a volatile ally. When you down an enemy, stun all characters except Thanos for 1 turn, then deal 2146 damage to all enemies and 697 to Thanos’ allies.
    Level 2: Deal 2731 damage to Thanos’ enemies and 976 damage to Thanos’ allies Level 3: Deal 3205 damage to Thanos’ enemies and 1115 damage to Thanos’ allies. Level 4: Deal 3484 damage to Thanos’ enemies and 1115 damage to Thanos’ allies. Level 5: Stun all characters except Thanos for 2 turns, deal 3484 damage to his enemies, and deal 864 damage to his allies.
Max Level:
    Level 3: Stun all characters except Thanos for 1 turn and deal 12881 damage to all enemies and 4480 to Thanos’ allies. Level 4: Stun all characters except Thanos for 1 turn and deal 14002 damage to Thanos’ enemies and 4480 to Thanos’ allies. Level 5: Stun all characters except Thanos for 2 turns and deal 14002 damage to Thanos enemies and 3472 to Thanos’ allies.


Infinite Power 8 purpletile.png AP
Invulnerable, immortal and nearly all-powerful, Thanos bends his foes to his will. Create a 3-turn Purple Countdown tile. While this tile is on the board, Thanos deals an extra 15% match damage and no tiles may be destroyed or changed except by Thanos (tiles may still be matched away).
    Level 2: While the Infinite Power tile is on the board, increase Thanos’ match damage by 45%. Level 3: While the Infinite Power is on the board, increase Thanos’ match damage by 65%. Level 4: Create a 4-turn Countdown tile that while on the board increases Thanos’ match damage by 65%. Level 5: Creates a 4-turn Countdown tile that while on the board increases Thanos’ match damage by 80%.
Max Level
    Level 3: Create a 3-turn Purple Countdown tile that while on the board increases Thanos’ match damage by 65%. Level 4: Create a 4-turn Purple Countdown tile that while on the board increases Thanos’ match damage by 65%. Level 5: Create a 4-turn Purple Countdown tile that while on the board increases Thanos’ match damage by 80%.


Come and Get Me! 12 greentile.png AP
Thanos stands against the tide of his enemies before unleashing his wrath. Places a 3-turn Countdown tile that moves Thanos to the front at the end of the turn. When the Countdown tile goes off, deal 3455 damage to the enemy team.
    Level 2: Places a 3-turn Countdown tile. When the Countdown tile goes off, deal 3650 damage to the enemy team. Level 3: When Thanos’ Countdown tile goes off, deal 4124 damage to the enemy team. Level 4: When Thanos’ Countdown tile goes off, deal 4570 damage to the enemy team. Level 5: When Thanos’ Countdown tile goes off, deal 5043 damage to the enemy team.
Max Level:
    Level 3: Places a 3-turn Countdown tile that when Thanos’ Countdown tile goes off, deal 16577 damage to the enemy team. Level 4: Places a 3-turn Countdown tile that when Thanos’ Countdown tile goes off, deal 18369 damage to the enemy team. Level 5: Places a 3-turn Countdown tile that when Thanos’ Countdown tile goes off, deal 20273 damage to the enemy team..
«1

Comments

  • CthulhuCthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 352 Site Admin
    I'll add 3 star Thanos and Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) tomorrow. So sorry for the delay! Not only were we swamped with tons of work before the holidays, but we got back to a flooded office, so swamped with actual water when we got back!
  • notamutantnotamutant Age Unconfirmed Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Thanks Cthulu.

    https://youtu.be/fS-qaj48MYs

    Character analysis video. As has already been said elsewhere, he is pretty awesome. Note he does not activate his passive twice in a row if it kills someone.
  • BlackBoltRocksBlackBoltRocks Posts: 2,284 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Mad King? Isn't that Aerys Targaryen?


    ...hold up. Are we getting a ASOIAF-MPQ Crossover? ASOIAF Puzzle Quest? Much excites!! icon_mrgreen.gif
  • PolaresPolares Posts: 2,346 Chairperson of the Boards
    Typo, it should be Mad TITAN
    notamutant wrote:
    Thanks Cthulu.

    https://youtu.be/fS-qaj48MYs

    Character analysis video. As has already been said elsewhere, he is pretty awesome. Note he does not activate his passive twice in a row if it kills someone.

    Yeah once again the 'passives dont trigger other passives rule'. Devs should really check this rule because it is breaking a lot of other abilities (PH, Hulk, etc)
  • GrumpySmurf1002GrumpySmurf1002 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cthulhu wrote:
    I'll add 3 star Thanos and Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) tomorrow. So sorry for the delay! Not only were we swamped with tons of work before the holidays, but we got back to a flooded office, so swamped with actual water when we got back!

    You can probably skip Carol, since there're already two threads on it. Just merge them and confirm the numbers.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Cthulhu wrote:
    72/78/85/65/12/13/4.0x
    Might want to take a peek at those match damage numbers. Those don't look like 5* numbers, and the strong colors are wrong (actually, they all look odd, strong in red/blue/yellow/purple?).
  • CthulhuCthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 352 Site Admin
    Thank you, fixed a few things. I was showing the new guy how these work incase I'm out on business or whatever and he needs to help in my absence, I was jumping around and forgot to finish his purple/green/black colors.

    My PC laptop died out too while i was doing this and why I left some of these, I just wanted to get it out. Everything is starting to get better though! I'll probably still put up my own Carol Danvers as an official post.
  • MagnetorulesMagnetorules Age Unconfirmed Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    I personally don't mind the stun portion of his powers. I just play him with SS and I'm okay with losing damage on yellow but this team has been working nicely for me.
  • PolaresPolares Posts: 2,346 Chairperson of the Boards
    Soooo, now that looks like a lot of people have 5 Thanos champed, is he really as good as it seemed? Is his green being a countdown a problem? Which are his best partners?

    And from what I have seen, most people looks like they use the 5/3/5 build. I guess because it is better to wait to fire his purple until you know the AI is going to add special tiles to the board, so going from 3 to 4 turns is not a big deal then.
  • DeNappaDeNappa Posts: 888 Critical Contributor
    After playing a match with my 1 cover Thano5 (0/1/0), I realized he's not a very good matchup with characters that place a 'repeatable countdown'.

    I paired him with 3* Blade, and I had his nightstalker countdown tile out. After firing Thanos's purple power, when it was my turn again Blade's countdown triggered, but instead of upping the count back to 1, the tile resolved instead.

    Still, I'm not sure... should this be considered a bug? Sure, Thanos prevents tiles from being 'changed or destroyed unless by matching', but countdown tiles still count down, so why can the countdown not be reset to 1?
  • PolaresPolares Posts: 2,346 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well after playing with him in a couple of PVPs now that I have him champed I have to say that I am a bit underwhelmed. He is very good, top tier, but not as good as I thought (not the best 5). The problem is basically his green. His black is his best power, it is really really good, purple can be really convenient sometimes, specially against OML or PH but the extra match damage is not that great, but his green most of the time gets matched away, 3 turns is A LOT. Green it is also a bit dangerous because forces him to be in front (with no damage reduction).

    I guess 20k AoE was too good for 12, they had to make it a 3 turn countdown. Even firing it after black, it gets matched A LOT. AI is very lucky matching it, it is amazing how good it is specially when we know that it doesn't try to match countdown tiles on purporse. It is a big deal that you can't select where the tile it is going to be placed or that it doesn't go to 2 turns at 5 covers. These countdown powers are very unreliably.

    And at least in slice 4 he is no deterrent, I have been hit as much as with other 5 teams. I guess in 5 land there are no deterrents, if you are worth the points, you will be hit and that's it.

    I want to try him with GG, but I still need one cover more for GG to max him. Right now, even though they share a lot of colors, if you pair him with BBolt (which is still probably the best 5 of all) you can kill the other team fastest than with any other team, but you need to boost so you can easily fire the strongest version of BBolts green fast, so for climbing probably OML, IM46 or GG are better partners.

    I would like to hear opinions from other 5 land users, but lately they are not posting that much... icon_e_sad.gif

    PS: In the end I guess this is good, I guess my expectations were too high with him because I LOVE the character, but it certainly is not broken in any way (and when it was released, I thought he might be broken/OP).
  • bigsmoothbigsmooth Posts: 372 Mover and Shaker
    DeNappa wrote:
    After playing a match with my 1 cover Thano5 (0/1/0), I realized he's not a very good matchup with characters that place a 'repeatable countdown'.

    I paired him with 3* Blade, and I had his nightstalker countdown tile out. After firing Thanos's purple power, when it was my turn again Blade's countdown triggered, but instead of upping the count back to 1, the tile resolved instead.

    Still, I'm not sure... should this be considered a bug? Sure, Thanos prevents tiles from being 'changed or destroyed unless by matching', but countdown tiles still count down, so why can the countdown not be reset to 1?
    I think this is because the game treats that type of countdown tile as resolving, then separately "placing" a new CD tile in the same spot on the board. Rarely, this is also seen when a character with color-changing powers (e.g. Iceman) changes the color of a CD like Nightstalker or Flame Jet - when the CD "expires", it changes back to the original color.

    So technically it's behaving as expected, because Thanos is preventing the "new" CD from being placed. Whether that's the intended behavior is a different question.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 1,001 Chairperson of the Boards
    0/2/3.

    I'm pissed.
  • fight4thedreamfight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 955 Critical Contributor
    Polares wrote:
    Well after playing with him in a couple of PVPs now that I have him champed I have to say that I am a bit underwhelmed. He is very good, top tier, but not as good as I thought (not the best 5). The problem is basically his green. His black is his best power, it is really really good, purple can be really convenient sometimes, specially against OML or PH but the extra match damage is not that great, but his green most of the time gets matched away, 3 turns is A LOT. Green it is also a bit dangerous because forces him to be in front (with no damage reduction).

    I guess 20k AoE was too good for 12, they had to make it a 3 turn countdown. Even firing it after black, it gets matched A LOT. AI is very lucky matching it, it is amazing how good it is specially when we know that it doesn't try to match countdown tiles on purporse. It is a big deal that you can't select where the tile it is going to be placed or that it doesn't go to 2 turns at 5 covers. These countdown powers are very unreliably.

    And at least in slice 4 he is no deterrent, I have been hit as much as with other 5 teams. I guess in 5 land there are no deterrents, if you are worth the points, you will be hit and that's it.

    I want to try him with GG, but I still need one cover more for GG to max him. Right now, even though they share a lot of colors, if you pair him with BBolt (which is still probably the best 5 of all) you can kill the other team fastest than with any other team, but you need to boost so you can easily fire the strongest version of BBolts green fast, so for climbing probably OML, IM46 or GG are better partners.

    I would like to hear opinions from other 5 land users, but lately they are not posting that much... icon_e_sad.gif

    PS: In the end I guess this is good, I guess my expectations were too high with him because I LOVE the character, but it certainly is not broken in any way (and when it was released, I thought he might be broken/OP).

    I think your disappointment in Thanos not being OP has clouded your judgement about the character. While he might not be the best defensive character, his power set definitely allows a player to punch through higher classed teams.

    While his black ability is obviously his premier ability, his purple skill also works wonders. He can basically shut down almost all the current best skills in the 5* tier with the exception of those that do direct damage (here's looking at you BW and BSS). And while you might think the extra damage added to his match damage is insignificant, I have found it quite effective when dealing with BSS teams.

    My only gripe with his purple ability is that certain abilities like Psychic Rapport will not be fired off while his Infinite Power tile is active (although IM Girl Friday does trigger). Instead the AI will store the AP and wait until the cd tile has resolved to use the ability. So it gets confusing which abilities will trigger while the tile is active and which will not.

    As for his green, while it is certainly true the cd does get matched often, I feel considering the amount of damage it does it's a reasonable trade off. As you have mentioned, the safest way to have it resolve is to place it after Court Death. If you are running OML with Thanos, using Living Legend while the CD is out not only increases the damage output but also reduces the likelihood of the CD tile being matched away as you skip a turn. You can also use MBW sting to help prevent it from being matched.

    Also, unless you are willing to buy health packs or climb in short bursts, I do not recommend using Thanos for climbing for obvious reasons. But when it comes to shield hopping, he is the crème de la crème.

    In terms of pure offensive speed and power, I would argue that Thanos is your most reliable bet. With proper use of boosts and an opponent team with a semi-squishy 3* character, he can make most 5* teams into steaks. Additionally, considering the nature of Court Death, he will be a good partner for any future hard-hitting 5* characters.

    As for partners, the most obvious are the ones with self-healing: OML and SS. SS also has the added benefit of not being stunned after Court Death is triggered. GG is another good choice because he can ensure Come and Get Me! goes off and has the firepower to trigger Court Death. In the 4* field, Captain Marvel's yellow FTW. 'Nuff said.

    As far as your concern about top 5, I do think Thanos is somewhere in the top 5 because he is not only effective in PVP but also PVE. While he won't garner you many defensive wins, I do believe his large health pool and his purple power helps delay defeat which is significant if you are shield hopping. Where exactly he falls in the Top 5, however, is up for debate.
  • PolaresPolares Posts: 2,346 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I think my biggest disappointment is that I would like to use him always, as I said he is one of my favorite comicbook chars, but he is not that great for climbing. I tried him both with OML and SS but he is in front a lot so he uses a lot of health packs (also for the 3 char). He is obviously top tier, but I thought he was the best 5, and now I think BBolt is still the best (both BBolt and Thanos also benefit immensely by extra covers, more than other chars I think).

    Regarding purple, I would really really love to have the enemy AP on the screen all the time, sometimes I dont use it when I should because of not knowing that the AI is going to fire a power (it is my fault obviously but it happens, specially when I am on the phone). But what I hate the most is green being matched away so often, stupid countdowns icon_razz.gif (you lose a lot of time when this happens, 12 green is not easy to get back again). I would love green to work like Strange blue, and do some damage every turn (also to place it).

    He is a beast for shield hops though, as I said with BBolt and boosts, matches usually last less than 5 or 6 moves, so now I can do 3 fights per shield hop easily. But I use him just for his black, I fire BBolts green all the time. Probably with GG I would be able to use Thanos green instead, so I look forward to champing him and try them together (I might even spend 720 to but the last cover :_( )

    Ps: Please Starlin keep doing Thanos/Warlock stories!!!
  • DeNappaDeNappa Posts: 888 Critical Contributor
    bigsmooth wrote:
    DeNappa wrote:
    After playing a match with my 1 cover Thano5 (0/1/0), I realized he's not a very good matchup with characters that place a 'repeatable countdown'.

    I paired him with 3* Blade, and I had his nightstalker countdown tile out. After firing Thanos's purple power, when it was my turn again Blade's countdown triggered, but instead of upping the count back to 1, the tile resolved instead.

    Still, I'm not sure... should this be considered a bug? Sure, Thanos prevents tiles from being 'changed or destroyed unless by matching', but countdown tiles still count down, so why can the countdown not be reset to 1?
    I think this is because the game treats that type of countdown tile as resolving, then separately "placing" a new CD tile in the same spot on the board. Rarely, this is also seen when a character with color-changing powers (e.g. Iceman) changes the color of a CD like Nightstalker or Flame Jet - when the CD "expires", it changes back to the original color.

    So technically it's behaving as expected, because Thanos is preventing the "new" CD from being placed. Whether that's the intended behavior is a different question.
    Yeah, I understand the technicalities of it, I'm inclined to think it's a bug though, because the power descriptions usually say 'places a countdown that resolves/activates every turn'.
  • Marc_SpectorMarc_Spector Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    Good discussion, everyone.
    My only gripe with his purple ability is that certain abilities like Psychic Rapport will not be fired off while his Infinite Power tile is active (although IM Girl Friday does trigger). Instead the AI will store the AP and wait until the cd tile has resolved to use the ability. So it gets confusing which abilities will trigger while the tile is active and which will not.

    I think the ongoing experimentation with his purple will lead to some interesting combos down the road as people figure out what works well (or not-so-well) with it. E.g. - I was playing my Thanos alongside OML the other day, and hadn't at all considered (until it happened) that having Thanos' purple down would prevent OML's (transformed) black from removing his own strike tiles. The tradeoff was not getting the bonus damage from those friendly strikes being destroyed, but having them stick around on the board was better value in the long term.

    So, I look forward to people figuring out further interesting uses for him, with either existing or future characters he may have a good synergy with!
  • eidehuaeidehua Age Unconfirmed Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Good discussion, everyone.
    My only gripe with his purple ability is that certain abilities like Psychic Rapport will not be fired off while his Infinite Power tile is active (although IM Girl Friday does trigger). Instead the AI will store the AP and wait until the cd tile has resolved to use the ability. So it gets confusing which abilities will trigger while the tile is active and which will not.

    I think the ongoing experimentation with his purple will lead to some interesting combos down the road as people figure out what works well (or not-so-well) with it. E.g. - I was playing my Thanos alongside OML the other day, and hadn't at all considered (until it happened) that having Thanos' purple down would prevent OML's (transformed) black from removing his own strike tiles. The tradeoff was not getting the bonus damage from those friendly strikes being destroyed, but having them stick around on the board was better value in the long term.

    So, I look forward to people figuring out further interesting uses for him, with either existing or future characters he may have a good synergy with!

    Interesting.. wonder if this works for nova too?
  • VhailorxVhailorx Posts: 4,012 Chairperson of the Boards
    eidehua wrote:
    Good discussion, everyone.
    My only gripe with his purple ability is that certain abilities like Psychic Rapport will not be fired off while his Infinite Power tile is active (although IM Girl Friday does trigger). Instead the AI will store the AP and wait until the cd tile has resolved to use the ability. So it gets confusing which abilities will trigger while the tile is active and which will not.

    I think the ongoing experimentation with his purple will lead to some interesting combos down the road as people figure out what works well (or not-so-well) with it. E.g. - I was playing my Thanos alongside OML the other day, and hadn't at all considered (until it happened) that having Thanos' purple down would prevent OML's (transformed) black from removing his own strike tiles. The tradeoff was not getting the bonus damage from those friendly strikes being destroyed, but having them stick around on the board was better value in the long term.

    So, I look forward to people figuring out further interesting uses for him, with either existing or future characters he may have a good synergy with!

    Interesting.. wonder if this works for nova too?

    That's intriguing. Nova just reoves the strikes, he doesnt convert them to damage like oml does. So i wouod guess that using nova's black + thanos' purple will result in either a fizzle with no effect, or full danage + strike tiles surviving, the latter would be a nice buff, but it is offset by red and yelliw being unable to place strikes too.
  • QuebbsterQuebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good discussion, everyone.
    My only gripe with his purple ability is that certain abilities like Psychic Rapport will not be fired off while his Infinite Power tile is active (although IM Girl Friday does trigger). Instead the AI will store the AP and wait until the cd tile has resolved to use the ability. So it gets confusing which abilities will trigger while the tile is active and which will not.

    I think the ongoing experimentation with his purple will lead to some interesting combos down the road as people figure out what works well (or not-so-well) with it. E.g. - I was playing my Thanos alongside OML the other day, and hadn't at all considered (until it happened) that having Thanos' purple down would prevent OML's (transformed) black from removing his own strike tiles. The tradeoff was not getting the bonus damage from those friendly strikes being destroyed, but having them stick around on the board was better value in the long term.

    So, I look forward to people figuring out further interesting uses for him, with either existing or future characters he may have a good synergy with!
    Excellent observation. I was playing against Thanos with OML and it worked quite well that way too - Thanos prevented OML from removing the strike tiles, leaving OML free to whale on him. Quite fun. icon_e_smile.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.