A Mostly Accurate 4* Ranking (Final Update 8/11/18)

Comments

• cubnad
    cubnad Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    good read. as a 3-4 star.png transionacior this helps where to focus iso
  • Thanks for this. As a player trying to cross over into 4* land, it's nice to have an idea where the latest 4* rank.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Please move this thread to Tips and Guides section and sticky it. It's that great.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Please move this thread to Tips and Guides section and sticky it. It's that great.

Yeah, I'd like this to be stickied. I find myself coming back to it often enough
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,909 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stickied after talking with the OP. Really great insight into the 4* tier.:)
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    My thing got stickied! Do I win the intarwebz now?!

I'll continue to update as new 4*s are added and reworks are done.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Glad to see this deservedly got stickied. I'm going to be pretty interested to see where Carol lands on your ranking. I'm going to guess between like 5-20 or so. With the right team, she can be an immense asset but she can stand on her own as well with her black/yellow.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Awesome, glad this was stickied. I admit, I'm transitioning to 4* land, and reading these really helps give a lot of insight.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like to see some pve and pvp rankings applied to each character. Besides the obvious top ten, I think it would help people looking to improve in either game mode. For instance, I'm eyeing pvp strong 4s to champ but other than Peggy and Rulk, I don't know the strongest characters there.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy wrote:
    I'd like to see some pve and pvp rankings applied to each character. Besides the obvious top ten, I think it would help people looking to improve in either game mode. For instance, I'm eyeing pvp strong 4s to champ but other than Peggy and Rulk, I don't know the strongest characters there.

This is easy to answer...

Are they fast? Yes? PvP
    Do they give passive damage/effects based on enemy skills firing? Yes? Pve.

Follow that rule and you'll rarely go wrong
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy wrote:

There's not a ton of separation in the rankings. There're a few characters that would shift up and down a bit based on PvE/PvP, but if you're looking for strong PvP characters, the top of the list is a good place to start.
  • Kjempen
    Kjempen Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Hope to see this getting updated as more 4*s arrive. It's the only list I've seen that I feel compares to my own opinions/experience.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Haven't been able to use them that much, but I'd put Carol Danvers 4 at lowest and Riri at 38 so she is the top of the bottom tier.
    Danvers has some of the best defense, offense, and support in the game. Since she is a little more dependent on her teammates and her opponents I would hesitate putting her number 1 right away. Then again, even by herself just 8 black gets you 5 boosted strike tiles and a nuke. She just becomes devastating with countdown spammers and tile creators.

Riri is bottom tier. She is kind of like Venom with a little more damage and a lot less health. If Venom is the bottom, Riri is nearby
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only real quibble I have (I may disagree with some placements by 1 or 2 positions, but that's fine) is with Medusa being so low. Perhaps I am overvaluating her, but I feel that as we play longer with her, she'll gain a place among the top 5.

Good job, nevertheless!
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll go to bat for Eddie Brock not being the worst 4* in the game -- not actually good, but better than Mr. Fantastic or Wasp. He's got a nice, reasonably cheap punch-you-in-the-face yellow, which is rare and thus helps him fit into a team more easily. Symbiotic Fury is only situationally useful, but in those situations (vs. Carnage, Ultron goons or Prime, Daken, StormHawk, symbiotes) it becomes a cheaper, more damaging version of X-Force -- well worth using to blow up the board. I'll take that situational usefulness over Reed's constant healing that doesn't actually help him do damage, and Wasp's stupid yellow. (Use it to switch a bunch of protect tiles to strikes! Wait, almost all the protect spam moves also use yellow AP, or place yellow tiles? Aw, ****.)

TLDR: Lethal Protector is okay damage that will rarely face competition for its AP when you need damage, and his situational move can win fights directly instead of merely enabling other teammates to deal more damage with their own powers later on. Give & Take still blows.
  • Zeroborn
    Zeroborn Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    How many please and thank you's would it take to get you to edit this already SUPER helpful guide with the color tags for recommended character builds? ( blackflag.pngblueflag.pnggreenflag.pngpurpleflag.pngredflag.pngyellowflag.png )?
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I agree whole heartedly about the Peggy vs. Iceman debate, but only for 2 reasons:

1) Peggy will always be targeted first to get her below the yellow threshold. In my opinion, she is best built at 5/3/5, so she "only" needs to be dropped to 60% health before the opponent suddenly fires every power they've saved... and powers like hulk buster or Red hulk (or Ares green) get delayed, which makes it worse. If there was some way to mitigate the damage she took, or make it so she wasn't able to be targeted every turn (almost a reverse deadpool), that would immediately change things... but it would probably also make things too unfair in her favor.

2) the blue power. I love it against goons and such, or teams with at least 1 goon. PVP or any team with 3 active tile movers, the countdowns become iffy to all resolve. Also, as someone said earlier, the power becomes no-stun if only one enemy remains (still big damage though), and the blue power becomes "meh" if she is the only team member left. This means she is much harder to use stand-alone, and her stun disappears when going against one opponent. Though this requires a little bit more strategy, which can be fun, it also means there will be circumstances where she is not such a great option (her crash, for instance, isn't hard... but you get a very "non-Peggy" vibe when using Peggy in a 1-vs-1 fight).

Needless to say, she is still amazing. Love her to death, one of my favorites (and that red power is great!). She makes it tough on herself, and her colors overlap with 2 other top-tier people in Thoress and Cyclops, which kinda stinks (Ice only overlaps with teen Jean). In my opinion, the debate is close... but Iceman wins it all.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Zeroborn wrote:
    How many please and thank you's would it take to get you to edit this already SUPER helpful guide with the color tags for recommended character builds? ( blackflag.pngblueflag.pnggreenflag.pngpurpleflag.pngredflag.pngyellowflag.png )?

I was thinking that might be due anyway since it's probably not reasonable to assume everyone knows the order in which each character's colors are listed.

I'll probably do that in the next edit, though I'm waiting to do that while I dork around with some newly champed characters and adjust the ranking a bit.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Good list. Although Medusa and Cpt. Marvel should be somewhere near the top. They are definitely top tier.
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    I find it funny you rate the likes of icon_katebishop.png , icon_punisher.png , icon_x23.png and icon_warmachine.png higher then medusa_icon.png ....
    I am curious how you rate icon_caroldanvers.png ..

Nice write-up, though!Keep up the good work.