What's Up With Iron Man's Model Numbers?

JHawkInc
JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, Spider-Man Homecoming trailer, alliance talking about it, someone (me) joked that our tie-in character for MPQ could be a new 4* Iron Man. Someone commented that they had no idea what IM model number we're on now.

And then I started looking at it a little closer.

Iron Man (Model 35) is our 1* version of the character. According to Marvel's Wiki it's actually Model 24, and the Actual Model 35 is the underwater Hydro Armor.

Iron Man (Model 40) is our 3* version of the character. According to Marvel's Wiki it's actually Model 42, and the Actual Model 40 is an improvised suit (basically like the very first armor, he built it while imprisoned and supposed to be making something else).

Hulkbuster is Model 36, but Model 36 looks nothing like the cover art, and I can't figure out what model the cover art is supposed to be as it appears to be a variant? Not sure it matters, since the in-game art is clearly reflective of the movie Hulkbuster anyways. (though the closest comic equivalent appears to be the flying car Model 52?)

5* Iron Man is Model 46. Then Wiki says that this is Model 29, the Extremis armor. But it was a movie tie-in, and he's wearing the MCU Model 46 Armor, so that makes sense (and the comic was chosen because it's a Cap vs IM Civil War comic cover, with no regard to the model on the cover). Makes sense, as the actual Model 46 is probably too funky for a movie tie-in.

So 4* and 5* seem justifiable. For bridging the gap between the comics and the movie versions, it works. But what's up with 1* and 3* IM? An as an aside, if the devs do ever decide to add another Iron Man to this game, hopefully we can get the Stealth Model 43 or the symbiote based Model 50 or maybe the badass Dark Elf slaying Model 48. You know, an option different enough to really and truly warrant another version in the game.

Comments

• Matt Murdock
    Matt Murdock Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    I second the vote for the superior iron man suit (model 50). Would be fun. On that topic, what about superior spiderman? icon_razz.gif
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    And how about we don't have another Iron Man or Spider Man? I would vote for this. Marvel has so many great heroes and villains that we don't need version 4 or 5 of the existing one.
  • Lampo
    Lampo Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    Hopefully no more IM or Spidey... and, anyway, the only Iron-man missing is a 2*, it would make no sense to have two different 4* Iron-mEn...
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    It's somewhat the fact that it's been a long time since Marvel's editors tracked this stuff all that well (not everyone can be Gruenwald) and somewhat the devs are stuck with movie and comic versions.

For example, in game model of IM 35 is actually M 30 and if you look at the Marvel wiki for M 35 you linked it notes: "This armor was originally identified in the All-New Iron Manual as the Model 36, it was later renumbered Model 35 in the Iron Manual." It's possible it was 35 at the time. The Marvel wiki also refers to model 40 as 41 in the about section. It's a mess.

So this isn't really on the devs. They're mostly trying to tie into both movies and comics (likely at Marvel's urging) and it's going to lead to some messy numbers. 35 was a balance of the movie version and older comic version. 40 was to tie in with the, at the time, new Iron Man comic. HB is based more on the movie version than the OG version or updated version (which the HB cover is based on). 46 is all movie, as you noted.

As for other Iron Man armors, 2* Silver Centurion version please!
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Magic wrote:
    And how about we don't have another Iron Man or Spider Man? I would vote for this. Marvel has so many great heroes and villains that we don't need version 4 or 5 of the existing one.
    Yea, what we need are 4* versions of existing 3*. The devs were kind enough to give us Blade and Luke Cage. I eagerly await Iron Fist (White Costume), Daredevil (Shadowland), Magneto (House of M), Psylocke (Uncanny X-Force), Loki (One Direction), Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence)...

Iron Fist white costume and not glorious 70's collar? Shame!

IronFist.jpg
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc wrote:
    5* Iron Man is Model 46. Then Wiki says that this is Model 29, the Extremis armor. But it was a movie tie-in, and he's wearing the MCU Model 46 Armor, so that makes sense (and the comic was chosen because it's a Cap vs IM Civil War comic cover, with no regard to the model on the cover). Makes sense, as the actual Model 46 is probably too funky for a movie tie-in.
    Note that the comic universe refers to different armours as "Models" and the cinematic universe refers to them as "Marks". 5-star Iron Man is "Mark XLVI" so that confirms it is using the cinematic universe designation.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Game should fill out the illuminati before any more variants of existing characters.

Where is imperious rex!?!
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    There will be another Iron Man. Sorta.

Riri.

Ironheart.

Because Disney icon_lol.gif

She'll be a 4*. Cause that's where all the "dictated by license" characters wind up.

I very much want that. Mostly because...well...we never got God Doom, so bringing in Ironheart gives them the opportunity to also bring in...
    Infamous_Iron_Man_1_Ribic_Variant.jpg?w=630&h=892&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89