So You want to Whale Latest Legendaries

Comments

• AlkyoneusAlkyoneus Age Unconfirmed Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Alkyoneus wrote:
    Also, question to whales: I was thinking of another way to speed up getting Legendary Tokens through Heroic 40-packs at 11,200 imcoin.png - I've champed every 3 star.png and 20 4 star.png and I have a 2 star.png farm running full time right now, so this seems like a good way to get the free token plus more cp through cover rewards. I'm currently imcoin.png positive through daily rewards and VIP, so again this seems like just a "matter of time" type of thing.

Does this sound like a good idea or no?
    Wait til off season when they drop to 10k.

Vaults aren't a bad option either as they are 9800 for half the vault plus some known 4*s and other goodies. Definitely take advantage of the Naughty or Nice vault while you can. I reset that one several times.

Those are good points! I forgot about the offseason 10k vault. It's a moot point right now as I only have 2000 imcoin.png because double Thanos and double Strange release knocked 4k off of me, but I'll have 10 offseasons to buy the discounted packs or special holiday vaults. Thanks!
  • kingpaul69kingpaul69 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Quick update guys,

Customer service have switched over my Widow and Strange Covers (thank you!), so I've managed to get 3 x 5 stars to 13 covers with 234 tokens with a 5 token start (4 Bolt, 1 Nat).

Without the head start I would still have needed 2 Bolt covers and 1 Nat cover (though I did have about 16 more pulls I could've made to try and get them).

My draws this time were slightly better than the published odds and plenty of us have drawn at a much lower rate, so I suppose the lesson is to assume the odds won't be in your favour and have a few more tokens in the bank to be sure if such a thing is possible.

Who knows CS might decide to stop switching covers by the time Thanos leaves LLs and the whole thing gets a lot harder.

Now I have to decide whether to champ them and loose the use of all the nice 4 star champs I've been having fun with lately.....

Is the 5 star game really that bad?

Gametag: pk69
    Alliance: xmenfive
  • NepentheNepenthe Age Unconfirmed Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    broll wrote:
    Nepenthe wrote:
    I've been saving LTs and CP since shortly after Dr Strange was released, with the aim of cashing them all in when Strange was the oldest 5* in latest legends. I'm currently at 24 LTs and 709 CP, so 52 draws. I got one Thano5 from Purple Reign (still love that), but no Stranges from his event tokens. Hoping the next 5* is also a good one, and that I'll have over 100 draws by then (plus 4* champ rewards once I start pulling).

I'm in about the same boat. I don't remember exactly when I started, somewhere in October and I have 23 LTs and 936 CP so 60 draws. I don't expect I'll have enough to max cover, but might get enough to be usable. Trying to weigh vs cashing the CP on classics instead to get the 9 & growing additional covers. As someone who's just starting the 4* transition it might be worth more to get the 9 extra covers. The fact that Thanos kinda seems like a turd is making that more likely. On the other hand Purple Reign was generous to me and my Thanos already has 3 covers for better or worse. If the next 5* isn't overly impressive I'll probably just do Classics and keep hoarding LTs for a future pull.

I'm doing Latest Legends for the CP, because of part of the reason I decided to hoard in the first place: I've been spending all my iso on championing 4*s and up until this point had been buying classics with CP - so my oldest three 5*s are in the 7-12 cover range and then most of the rest are at like 3 covers each. If I keep opening classics I expect I'd have OML and Phoenix at 13 covers fairly soon, and I don't want to be in a position where I have to champ them to avoid wasting covers and then only be able to use those 2 characters all the time because of scaling. I figured if I save the CP for latest when there's 3 all new 5* characters, I'd have a chance at getting them up near 10-13 covers so when I do start seriously leveling 5*s I have more than just the 2 to play with.
  • cyineedsncyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Nepenthe wrote:
    I'm doing Latest Legends for the CP, because of part of the reason I decided to hoard in the first place: I've been spending all my iso on championing 4*s and up until this point had been buying classics with CP - so my oldest three 5*s are in the 7-12 cover range and then most of the rest are at like 3 covers each. If I keep opening classics I expect I'd have OML and Phoenix at 13 covers fairly soon, and I don't want to be in a position where I have to champ them to avoid wasting covers and then only be able to use those 2 characters all the time because of scaling. I figured if I save the CP for latest when there's 3 all new 5* characters, I'd have a chance at getting them up near 10-13 covers so when I do start seriously leveling 5*s I have more than just the 2 to play with.

No snark intended, but as someone in the same boat, and I'm sure many others can attest to, covering a 5* from 10->13 covers from classics could take you until tomorrow, or sometime 6 months from now (or more!), so just be aware of what you are getting into.
  • HendrossHendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    cyineedsn wrote:
    Nepenthe wrote:

No snark intended, but as someone in the same boat, and I'm sure many others can attest to, covering a 5* from 10->13 covers from classics could take you until tomorrow, or sometime 6 months from now (or more!), so just be aware of what you are getting into.

This is the dilution problem, OML is now 1.7% or .56% for a particular color, that could easily be 50-100 pulls /each or 150-300 to finish (3 covers)...with (roughly) the same amount you could get all 3 latest to 13.
  • NepentheNepenthe Age Unconfirmed Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    That's true, but I'm likely to have my 3/4/5 Phoenix or 2/4/4 OML hit max before my 2/0/2 GG catches up to them. My point was not so much "they'll be maxed soon" as it was about the unevenness of my cover distribution among "classic" 5*s. All of them face the dilution problem, so I'm switching to latest legends for the time being. I'll probably switch back to classics after opening the big hoard.

I'm in no real rush to do go for a full 5* transition. Currently leveling my 29th 4* champion (Punisher) and enjoying the variety in the 4* tier.
    Update:
    I've been saving for a mere 15 days and already have piled up quite a supply of CP and Legendary Tokens! I did 1 buy club over the holiday to take advantage of the Amazon store sale ($49.99 per Stark, and Amazon coins were 23% off so I got a Stark for a mere $37!) and have saved every CP the game had to offer. I hit progression on all PVP and PVE, champed several characters, and am currently at:

10 token_legendary.png

648 commandpoints.png

Total pulls: 35

Already over 10% of the way to my target. I'm going to continue saving and pull everything on my birthday in June. I'm hoping it will be a happy birthday for me!
  • OrionOrion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also started the new year with a plan to save up LTs and CP in an effort to whale some latest legends. The results so far have been pretty surprising. In 9 days, I already have 8 LTs and 270 CP for a total of 18 pulls. I don't know if I can keep averaging 2 pulls/day, but I do have several things going for me. I have a ton of 3*s coming up to level 227, where you get your 2nd LT. I even have a few that will hit level 239 in the next few months, so that's the 3rd LT. I have 31 4* champs and you get an LT every 10 levels with them. I can easily hit max progression in both PvP and PvE, so that's 25 CP for each of those events.

If I can keep getting 2 pulls/day, then I'll be ready to open everything up in mid-May or so. If by some miracle they reassess how they handle the classic 5*s, then I'll have to decide what to do. I have IM46, Phoenix and Spidey all at 11 covers, so if I have a decent chance of finishing them off, I'll take it and worry about latest legend pulls later.
    Monthly update! I've been saving for 30 days now (or 6 Crash events) and have 1064 commandpoints.png and 19 token_legendary.png saved up for a total of 61 Latest Legend pulls. I've been very fortunate to have active alliance friends who spend a little here and there, am enrolled in the VIP program, and have hit a few 25 commandpoints.png rewards from daily login bonus.

So far that's over 2 tokens per day, on average. I've hit every PvP and PvE progression bonus, and gotten a myriad of cp rewards from character covers. Really enjoying saving up for my goal of pulling everything on my birthday in June. If everything continues coming in at this rate, I'll have over 300 pulls when I finally do open everything!

Based on Data's Monte Carlo calculator, that's almost a 90% chance to cover 3 Latest Legends! Obviously I'm assuming that CS will still have their cover exchange program running. Crossing my fingers that they'll do so.

I'm also simultaneously saving all iso8.png towards champing them, once I reach 1.5m iso8.png I'll continue championing my 4-star characters. I already have all 3-star and 2-star characters champed and farming, and 18 4-star champed.

Exciting!
  • mohiomohio Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alkyoneus wrote:
    I'm also simultaneously saving all iso8.png towards champing them, once I reach 1.5m iso8.png I'll continue championing my 4-star characters. I already have all 3-star and 2-star characters champed and farming, and 18 4-star champed.

Exciting!
    I'm no hoarding expert so others can chime in on this strategy but it seems to me that with your pull date almost 5 months away you have plenty of time to save the iso and should continue to champion 4* as you win their covers so they don't go to waste. With your playstyle I don't think it will take more than ~50 days to get 1.5 mil iso (30k per day for dual players is doable).
  • FightmastermpqFightmastermpq Age Unconfirmed Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    mohio wrote:
    Alkyoneus wrote:

Exciting!
    I'm no hoarding expert so others can chime in on this strategy but it seems to me that with your pull date almost 5 months away you have plenty of time to save the iso and should continue to champion 4* as you win their covers so they don't go to waste. With your playstyle I don't think it will take more than ~50 days to get 1.5 mil iso (30k per day for dual players is doable).
    Yeah, agree with this. No need to save up the ISO any earlier than you have to. Wait until you think you are about 2 months out and then start the ISO hoard as well.
    Thanks for the advice guys, I had over 400k so I champed icon_invisiblewoman.png whom I had 4 covers expiring for. Now that I have every 3 and 2 champed all of my ISO can go towards that now.
  • TxMooseTxMoose Age Unconfirmed Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    mohio wrote:
    Alkyoneus wrote:

Exciting!
    Yeah, agree with this. No need to save up the ISO any earlier than you have to. Wait until you think you are about 2 months out and then start the ISO hoard as well.
    also, keep in mind you don't have to have 1.5mil to start pulling. you just need to decide which trio you'll hit your goal, then you can start pulling immediately, even if you're slightly short of your goal. you only need iso for when you get one to 13 covers and don't want to waste a 14th. you have the entire time until the next 5 hits for that - usually at least 5-6 weeks, usually more, plus time in queue.
    Well the idea is to Whale all 3 Latest Legends, whoever they may be at the time (assuming Thanos plus the next 2 that will be released). Due to random distribution, I expect I'll pull more than 5 of a few color, so I'd ideally want to champ all 3 of them within 2 weeks of pulling them so the covers don't go to waste.
  • PongiePongie Posts: 1,303 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alkyoneus wrote:
    I crunched the numbers and came up with this as a plan:
    270 days of saving (~9 months)
    108 pvp events x 25cp = 2,700cp
    11 pvp season x 25cp alliance rewards = 275cp
    270 days of story nodes x 2CP = 540cp
    38 weeks of story events x 1.5 events/week x 25cp = 1,425cp (this might be low, it's hard to calculate events)
    Total cp: 4,940
    197 Latest Legends draws

54 Crash of the Titans events
    12 champion 4-stars
    Total Legendary Tokens: 66

I've been hoarding since July, so about 7 months now and I've gotten 3820cp and 73 latest tokens. Way below your calculations for cp (but then I don't hit 1200 every pvp and barely playing pve these days). At least the tokens are higher (due to champ rewards).
    been hoarding since about 11/1 I've been averaging 1.5-2 pulls a day (combined LTs and cp, I don't track them separately). the stretches of 1.5/day come with boss events and when I take a pve off (its been a while since that happened). also, offseason I don't always go for 1200. if I play full on hybrid (1200 + pve progression), I'm usually 1.8-2 a day on average. key is having all 3s champed and as many 4s as possible champed - I currently have 28. champ rewards are very very important. now at 268 pulls. leaning towards pulling in the next 2 weeks before panther hits, depending on his final, covered numbers.
  • QuebbsterQuebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I seem to be lying just under 2 Latest Legends tokens a day on average, so I Think I'll be up around 250 pulls when Thanos is about to leave Latest Legends. Might pull the trigger then and see where it gets me... But of course that depends a bit on how Panther and [insert next fivestar] looks too.
    I am looking forward to Civil War since I see no reason to stockpile the Hail To The King Legendary tokens I might get - it's not much, but it's something to open at least!
  • scotteescottee Posts: 1,582 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do the Hail to the King LTs revert to regular LTs after the event is over?
  • BowgentleBowgentle Posts: 5,038 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    Do the Hail to the King LTs revert to regular LTs after the event is over?
    No.
    Hendross wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    very curious what the numbers would be to max 2 or 3 from latests. that's what I plan to do in several months.

edit: my target is 300 pulls. wondering where that falls in the curve...

You should be feeling good with 300 pulls for 2 characters
    TxMoose_zpsbyujetjg.jpg

Sample Run
    Number of Legendary Tokens: 263
    Number of 4 Star Covers: 229 (87.07%)
    Number of 5 Star Covers: 34 (12.93%)
    -----------------------
    Black Bolt      [8/0/0]
    Black Widow     [13/0/0]
    Dr. Strange     [13/0/0]

just to update. I pulled my hoard. finished all 3. took longer than I thought it might. strange hit 13 covers on the 194th pull. natasha hit 13 on the 268th pull (she started with 2, so was 11 pulls in 268). thanos hit 13 on the 331st. started pulling with 271 saved up and 28 champed 4s. my 271 pulls turned into 308 from champ rewards. also champed 5 4s in the meantime (too many covers to waste). then took a week or so for the rest. back to hoard mode for me. hopefully they can come up with some sort of solution for classic characters. my 1/5/5 surfer and oml (will be 5/1/5 soon) - they need some non-dupe love.